Parenting fail over a Questlove beat

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a daughter who is 30. I have no filter, and she has limited filter.
We never laugh more than when an inappropriate or possibly uncomfortable topic comes up
It's especially funny when it is in public, and we laugh like nobody else is there.

afwdrums

Reaction score
I'm not sure the lyrics of this song are actually meant to be taken literally, The Roots seem far more creative than to have a song that's literally about sneaking around behind your lover's back and trying to impregnate as many other women as possible, or at least I hope they are, but who knows...I found this interpretation that someone wrote online, seems at least a plausible take on what the songs true meaning might be

their lyrics tend to actually be poetic and have hidden meanings. I don't think you can just accept the literal interpretation for this song.

I interpret the song to mean that they are attempting to unite the rock and roll and hip hop genres. In this case, they are trying to plant the seed of hip hop within the womb of rock and roll. He's having to do "fertilize another against my lover's will" because hip hop is resistant to integrating other musical styles. This interpretation is supported by the lines in the first verse that go:

"She don't want no rock-n-roll
She want platinum or ice or gold
She want a whole lotta somethin' to fold"

The lines are describing the hip hop culture obsession with money and "bling." Whereas, "I lick the opposition because she don't take no birth control" signifies that rock and roll is open and willing to integrate influences from other genres.

If you're still doubtful, just listen to the beats underlying the song. You have the heavy beats that are commonplace in hip hop and then the distinct guitar riff.

rcopo69

Reaction score
I have been casually listening to The Roots for a long while before they became Jimmy Fallon's sidemen. I remember freaking out at how amazing the grooves were on Phrenology, particularly on The seed 2.0 feat. Cody Chestnutt. Today my teenage daughter (who usually plays bass but now wants to wield the sticks) was on the kit and strated to do that beat... we were both listenning to a passage to get wich fill Questlove does in what order, it really hit us how unbelievably inapropriate a song it is for a daddy/daughter moment and we burst out laughing. I mean we laughed uncontrolably for about half an hour after that. One of my best/worse parenting fails... View attachment 561600
Nice Share With These Times We're In Anymore. Thank You.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel deep empathy for those who get through some rough enough patches to mandate a temporary regroup period under your parents/siblings roof. Most of us do, sooner or later, be it because of separation/divorce, mental health episodes, addiction, financial hardship or all of the above. There's absolutely NO shame in needing this.

If my parents were still alive, (died when I was 28 & 33) there sure would have been a time or two where I would've totally come back to collect my thoughts, assess what's going on, regroup and get a fresh start.

I've got absolutely nothing but respectfor those who do that.

I don't think this is what Drdrumdude3009 made allusion to in post #9. He meant those instances where the kids "never even left the family home". Failure to quit the family nest and not taking a chance at independent adult life is a totally different situation altogether.

In that case well, yeah! Barring some severe cognitive, physical and/or social impairment, I'd consider a 50 y/o who NEVER LEFT, still playing video games in my basement somewhat of a failure of my parenting endeavor.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like modified recorderman mic setup. Nice.
This is exactly what that is. The floor side OH picks up the floor somewhat better than the usual "over the shoulder" while the almost parallel position to the ride helps reject a bit of extra jangly harshness. It's all a work in progress though and nothing is absolutely static...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure the lyrics of this song are actually meant to be taken literally, The Roots seem far more creative than to have a song that's literally about sneaking around behind your lover's back and trying to impregnate as many other women as possible, or at least I hope they are, but who knows...I found this interpretation that someone wrote online, seems at least a plausible take on what the songs true meaning might be

their lyrics tend to actually be poetic and have hidden meanings. I don't think you can just accept the literal interpretation for this song.

I interpret the song to mean that they are attempting to unite the rock and roll and hip hop genres. In this case, they are trying to plant the seed of hip hop within the womb of rock and roll. He's having to do "fertilize another against my lover's will" because hip hop is resistant to integrating other musical styles. This interpretation is supported by the lines in the first verse that go:

"She don't want no rock-n-roll
She want platinum or ice or gold
She want a whole lotta somethin' to fold"

The lines are describing the hip hop culture obsession with money and "bling." Whereas, "I lick the opposition because she don't take no birth control" signifies that rock and roll is open and willing to integrate influences from other genres.

If you're still doubtful, just listen to the beats underlying the song. You have the heavy beats that are commonplace in hip hop and then the distinct guitar riff.
That is a very interesting take on it.

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
ha ha!!!! i know that feeling really well....when all of a sudden you realize what it is you're/they're listening to...and how inappropriate it is!!!!
as early as when my daughter was 6ish we'd be driving around and i'd be dipping the volume on prince lyrics...always in time so the groove wouldn't get compromised :p something musta stuck though, cause her taste in music has matured to folks like kendrick lamar, anderson paak and common/robert glasper/august greene...smart hip hop!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a daughter who is 30. I have no filter, and she has limited filter.
We never laugh more than when an inappropriate or possibly uncomfortable topic comes up
It's especially funny when it is in public, and we laugh like nobody else is there.
No filter is the way to be !!!

Jmac1958

Reaction score
I have been casually listening to The Roots for a long while before they became Jimmy Fallon's sidemen. I remember freaking out at how amazing the grooves were on Phrenology, particularly on The seed 2.0 feat. Cody Chestnutt. Today my teenage daughter (who usually plays bass but now wants to wield the sticks) was on the kit and strated to do that beat... we were both listenning to a passage to get wich fill Questlove does in what order, it really hit us how unbelievably inapropriate a song it is for a daddy/daughter moment and we burst out laughing. I mean we laughed uncontrolably for about half an hour after that. One of my best/worse parenting fails... View attachment 561600
That Sonor kit looks amazing, I’ve been a Tama player for many years, but lately have been really impressed with Sonor. Bought an entry level AQX Jazz kit and was very impressed with the build quality and hardware. Would be nice to get into the AQ2 series, if I dare spend the money.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That Sonor kit looks amazing, I’ve been a Tama player for many years, but lately have been really impressed with Sonor. Bought an entry level AQX Jazz kit and was very impressed with the build quality and hardware. Would be nice to get into the AQ2 series, if I dare spend the money.
This is the Vintage series. Awesome instruments, really. The kit really hold its own in between my 2 other kits wich are Rogers Holiday and Gretsch Broadkaster. I haven't played Sonor's lower series but a lot of people say they are of very good quality, wich I have no problem believing.

Are you confusing the AQ2 and SQ2 lines? The AQ2 line is quite affordable/attainable.

The SQ2 not so much, they are amazing drums but really in the top tier of expensiveness. But also of quality...