Parting out nice vintage drums - 1983 Tama Superstar wood snare

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sort of surprised to see a very nice, one owner, cherry wine Superstar shell on Ebay for $150. But then the trail of parts followed from the same seller, snare wires, strainer, throw off, butt plate, hoops, lugs, muffler, tension rods. I can see doing this when the shell is beat up or damaged. List of seller's parts add up to $890. A nice drum usually sells for $300-$400 complete. This seller and Lee County Music permanently remove a lot of nice vintage drums from the market.

"Artwood snare without any mods or extra holes and perfect bearing edges. The drum was a one owner and had original heads on until it was dismantled. This shell is in excellent, near mint condition. Perfect to use as a change out on a lesser looking shell or a super nice project. Please ask questions as needed and thanks for buying."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-1983-Vintage-Superstar-Cherry-Wine-6-5-X-14-ARTWOOD-Snare-Drum-SHELL-ONLY/114093329785?epid=1103427731&hash=item1a907e0d79:g:sZYAAOSwA89eNG1t&LH_ItemCondition=1500|3000|7000

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hate that “business model” and I always have to nix certain words from my searches in order to not see listings from Lee County and their other accounts.

rock roll

Reaction score
Sort of surprised to see a very nice, one owner, cherry wine Superstar shell on Ebay for $150. But then the trail of parts followed from the same seller, snare wires, strainer, throw off, butt plate, hoops, lugs, muffler, tension rods. I can see doing this when the shell is beat up or damaged. List of seller's parts add up to $890. A nice drum usually sells for $300-$400 complete. This seller and Lee County Music permanently remove a lot of nice vintage drums from the market.

"Artwood snare without any mods or extra holes and perfect bearing edges. The drum was a one owner and had original heads on until it was dismantled. This shell is in excellent, near mint condition. Perfect to use as a change out on a lesser looking shell or a super nice project. Please ask questions as needed and thanks for buying."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-1983-Vintage-Superstar-Cherry-Wine-6-5-X-14-ARTWOOD-Snare-Drum-SHELL-ONLY/114093329785?epid=1103427731&hash=item1a907e0d79:g:sZYAAOSwA89eNG1t&LH_ItemCondition=1500|3000|7000
Lee county on eBay never lowers their price as far as I have seen.and they always ask top dollar or more than they are worth.
I also hate when people strip a drum and sell it for parts.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have bought a few things from him before. While I don't like to see complete drums parted out, he does have reasonable prices usually and if you need the parts and someone has them for a reasonable price...

Edit: I am talking about Mattspickens. I would never buy anything from Pooder.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have bought a few things from him before. While I don't like to see complete drums parted out, he does have reasonable prices usually and if you need the parts and someone has them for a reasonable price...
Actually, the seller of the drum I listed above occasionally prices an item fairly. Most of the time they seem to be 50-100% above normal retail. I too have bought from them before....a single item.....Rogers Dynasonic 19 strand snare wires - nice originals. I don't think they knew exactly what they were.....yet still priced fairly strongly.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple deals with Gayle. Both times I end up returning the drum because I went in a different direction and she seemed fine. Yes, some of the prices are obnoxious, but she also has some cool stuff once in a while. I hate to overpay on a single vintage piece or hardware, but unfortunately, I've been down that road, too.

I'm always wondering why they have the same girl in the item pictures as well as the post office truck. What's up with that?

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Subliminal messaging. The images of a pretty girl, postal delivery truck (and the globe) will make you more likely to 'buy it now', in theory, at least.

"Ooooh ... pretty girl ... I must buy it..."

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I've had a couple deals with Gayle. Both times I end up returning the drum because I went in a different direction and she seemed fine. Yes, some of the prices are obnoxious, but she also has some cool stuff once in a while. I hate to overpay on a single vintage piece or hardware, but unfortunately, I've been down that road, too.

I'm always wondering why they have the same girl in the item pictures as well as the post office truck. What's up with that?

Is it really a girl or is it Jonas Aaronson? I have been confused for years... Lol. I did a deal with Jonas years ago where I traded a club date blue sparkle set with a matching pioneer for a nice WMP club date he had minus the snare. It was supposed to be a straight trade and I wanted the WMP as I already had a snare. After he got my set he said he wanted money sent to him before he would send me the WMP set. i got pissed and just made him give me my set back. This was in the days before internet too.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it really a girl or is it Jonas Aaronson? I have been confused for years... Lol. I did a deal with Jonas years ago where I traded a club date blue sparkle set with a matching pioneer for a nice WMP club date he had minus the snare. It was supposed to be a straight trade and I wanted the WMP as I already had a snare. After he got my set he said he wanted money sent to him before he would send me the WMP set. i got pissed and just made him give me my set back. This was in the days before internet too.
I'm quite sure it's Jonas Aaronson. It seems he's been around forever.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clue. I thought "Gayle" was a lady but I guess it could be a guy. I also recently read (yet more) threads about that seller and he/she is well known in the business of parting vintage drums & jacking up the price. In my 2 deals, "she" was easy to work with, prices were fair, and that's all I can say. Both were Gretsch 14" FT's (no, not vintage!) and both times, I backed out of the deals.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe the parts from that Tama snare will put 3 or 4 snares back into complete condition.