PASIC 2019 Indy: Anyone going?

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
25th time going, 24th time exhibiting!
I can’t justify traveling just to hang at a show more than once a year. NAMM in Southern California in January is so much more appealing than any time in Indianapolis. What boring town that is. Ugh.

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t justify traveling just to hang at a show more than once a year. NAMM in Southern California in January is so much more appealing than any time in Indianapolis. What boring town that is. Ugh.
And NAMM has had anything really new in how many years??? First time in over a decade, I am passing on NAMM. PASIC is about PASIC - a great show with some amazing clinics - not about Indianapolis....

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
And NAMM has had anything really new in how many years??? First time in over a decade, I am passing on NAMM. PASIC is about PASIC - a great show with some amazing clinics - not about Indianapolis....
+1!

How many clinics and performances are at NAMM?

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
And, you don't have to dodge poop, pee, and needles in Indy.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, I live in Indy. Well, just north of Indy. I've never been to Pasic and feel like I'm missing out.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm going, too. First time in some years. Not a lot of wild stuff to do in Indy, but there is the Kurt Vonnegut museum and library, PAS's museum, cool little bistros, a fantastic-looking art museum, the Chatterbox Cafe, etc.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm going, too. First time in some years. Not a lot of wild stuff to do in Indy, but there is the Kurt Vonnegut museum and library, PAS's museum, cool little bistros, a fantastic-looking art museum, the Chatterbox Cafe, etc.
And Rhythm Discovery Center. I call it the “ Drum Cave”. Great place to explore and just meditate on our art.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I was there on Thursday and Friday. Took my wife who was just merely humoring me by going. Only went to a handful of the clinics and spent maybe an hour in the expo hall(louder than I ever remember, and there was less stuff to hit :blink:). Took a bunch of short videos that I was going to put together in a bit. Got to see Keio Stroud, Jimmy Chamberlain, Ash Soan, Dave Elitch, Dave DiCenso, and Scott Pellegrom. Friday night had combo playing at the Westin hotel lobby and guys like Steve Fidyk, Sarah Thawer, Antonio Sanchez and more all sat in on a song which was really cool. Was only planning on buying a new Prologix practice pad but Zildjian had some prototype K Cluster hi hats that I kept coming back to so I bought those.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I could NOT get away from life. Really disappointed.
I was there on Thursday and Friday. Took my wife who was just merely humoring me by going. Only went to a handful of the clinics and spent maybe an hour in the expo hall(louder than I ever remember, and there was less stuff to hit :blink:). Took a bunch of short videos that I was going to put together in a bit. Got to see Keio Stroud, Jimmy Chamberlain, Ash Soan, Dave Elitch, Dave DiCenso, and Scott Pellegrom. Friday night had combo playing at the Westin hotel lobby and guys like Steve Fidyk, Sarah Thawer, Antonio Sanchez and more all sat in on a song which was really cool. Was only planning on buying a new Prologix practice pad but Zildjian had some prototype K Cluster hi hats that I kept coming back to so I bought those.

I could NOT get away from life. Really disappointed. I'm glad someone was able to go and enjoy it! I would love to see some videos. :thumbup:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your experiences match mine.

There were some great clinics and performances. e.g., Antonio Sanchez, Dafnis Prieto, Sara Thawer, Ash Soan, Keio Stroud, Dave DiCenso, Dave Languth - and some killer stuff at the Friday night jam,notably Sarah, Antonio and Steve. The last 3 lit the room up.

The noise issue is significant - even with earplugs it was hard to stay in the drum set side too long. And even with sound cops, as soon as they left the room, the noise was back. Hats off to those who did, especially the poor vendors. If I'd been a vendor, I'd probably be locked up for multiple homicides by late Friday. Fewer vendors made the whole event less interesting in between clinics - how many times can you walk around the convention center or sample the culinary magnificence at the snack bar? - and the noise might have been a factor in their being fewer vendors. In any event, I hope something can be done about this.

Obviously vendors want folks to be able to hear their gear, and those of us who hit these shows do so in part becasue we want to see and hear it. The problem comes when too much sound is generated to hold a conversation. Most of this sound seemed to come from young ones at all kits playing with no regard for others in the room. I wonder what can be done affordably to reduce the sound generated - charge folks $5.00 to play and use that money to help defray sound absorption efforts, set up baffles around the kits, put DB meters around the kits? Perhaps a partnership with companies specializing in sound absorption technology, or mass rentals of such? I suspect this is a world wide issue; perhaps it's something where PAS, NAMM and the MI mfgrs/vendors at these and other trade shows might want to pool their efforts.

Re gear - tons of interesting cymbals - Zildjian, Dream, Koide (wow!) and Meinl come to mind. Z had several intriguing prototypes and overhammered cymbals on hand and the largest cymbals booth at the show. Welch had an interesting kit with one key cable driven tuning. Sonor's SQ2 kit - OMG. The sound! Ditto Pearl's new gum/maple (i.e., Gretsch clone) hybrid sounds killer. The INDE booth had some very interesting products - a handmade riveted copper kit that looked like a serious improvement over others on the market - and sounded amazing, as did the wood kit that was set up. Serious, very well conceived and built gear. Hearing the difference in tone between between shells in their their Reso Armor and a traditional plastic wrap was illuminating. All the kits were well tuned early Thursday; that changed soon after the doors opened at 9.

Reactions: JDA

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a dangerous place that way. At last you didn't spend money on a hotel.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is fair, but weather and food matter as much as the show itself to me.

Latest posts