Pasite 2002's vs Rude's vs Giant Beats

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always played Zildjian and Sabians growing up because they were everywhere and continued to use them for a long time.
Got a deal on three 2002 crashes maybe 10 years ago.
I brought them into the studio the next time I went to do a song and didn't crash when recording the drum track and
then went back and hit crashes in the appropriate spots afterwards to try out the 2002's.
Heard the playback and it was a eureka moment.
Literally sold all my Zildjians and Sabians shortly thereafter.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like (and have) both 2002's and Rude's! If it's heavy playing that you're doing, they go hand in hand!

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Love my 2002's ( 18,20, 22 crash. 22,24 ride, 15 se). Perfect middle of the road, do absolutely everything cymbals. I've always wanted to try the RUDE line, but I'm certain my playing style would not do it justice. My giant beats were very musical, but they got cut from the herd to make room for a new set of Signatures.

Last edited:

drumr386

Reaction score
After playing Zildjian and later Sabian for 50 years I recently bought a set of 2002’s, then shortly after, a couple Signature Full crashes. I had no idea these cymbals were so good, the 2002’s in particular. The warmth, volume, cut, plenty of highs yet dark and washy, I don’t know how Paiste does it but, I am sold.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Paiste Holic here but never Rude :angry: ! Had signatures for years & still have a few. Then 2oo2’s for louder classic rock and giant beats for quieter gigs. Recently spending a small fortune on 602’s classic and modern essentials they’re all so good! I’d have to say 602’s are the sweetest sounding of the bunch

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play Paiste almost exclusively (as I have said repeatedly). I have never owned or tried the Rude lines, but I play GBs at nearly every gig - they indeed are quite musical! -- and bust out the 602s or the Sound Formulas sometimes too. I just love the GBs.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been a long time Paiste user - I have had sets of all the Pro level lines at one time or another . The 602s have been my cymbals since they came back but recently I have decided to make a change . I have gone with a mixed assortment of Traditional , Masters and 602 ME for the foreseeable future . The darker sounding models are more pleasing to my ear these days .

I got the opportunity to play the Rude thin crashes at Treviso’s house ( also that cool roto rom kit ) and I could not believe how much I liked those crashes . They were far warmer than I expected .

mjohnson12

Reaction score
I love the 602 ME 15” hats. Definitely on my wish list. Very versatile.

healthie1

Reaction score
Great thread and timely for me - I've been a zildjian player forever; mostly because when I flipped gear that's what I got. I'm a bit older and have some cash I can buy a nice cymbal every now and then, and I've considered getting a set of Paiste's. I've wondered how people get into Paistes, since they are notably more expensive than Sabians & Zildjians.

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
I dig all 3 for what they are. RUDE ate a bit heavy for my tastes and style. Although I like the chinas, they definitely put out a lot of volume and would be IMHO out of balance with the rest of the cymbals.

GB and 2002 definitely have that lush Paiste shimmer, and I still have seller's remorse letting a 20" multi. If I were to create another Paiste set, I'd lean into the multis and maybe the 2002 thin crashes.

Though I like the GB hats for their quick response and pitch, I really think the 14" 2002 heavy hats are among the best from all 3 lines. They're quite responsive, but have more "meat and potatoes" in their mix.

slinginit

Reaction score
After playing Zildjian and later Sabian for 50 years I recently bought a set of 2002’s, then shortly after, a couple Signature Full crashes. I had no idea these cymbals were so good, the 2002’s in particular. The warmth, volume, cut, plenty of highs yet dark and washy, I don’t know how Paiste does it but, I am sold.

That's interesting. The Sigs are great, but after a while they're too brittle for me. They have more front end "glass", but the 2002s are inherently warmer through their decay and finish.

slinginit

Reaction score
I play Paiste almost exclusively (as I have said repeatedly). I have never owned or tried the Rude lines, but I play GBs at nearly every gig - they indeed are quite musical! -- and bust out the 602s or the Sound Formulas sometimes too. I just love the GBs.

Great call on the Sound Formulas!! Mine are in semi-retirement - my first Paistes 30 yrs ago! :)

drumr386

Reaction score
That's interesting. The Sigs are great, but after a while they're too brittle for me. They have more front end "glass", but the 2002s are inherently warmer through their decay and finish.
I find it interesting that when I purchased the original set of 2002’s I thought the 18” was the weakest of the set, it sounded too gongy. When played in the band setting those sounds became its strength, nice wash and projection. The Signature Full crashes have a strong attack and then a wash that lingers. I can see where some might not dig that, for me it works.

MetalDoucheRuddfan1223

Reaction score
I remember I saved up and bought a 16" RUDE crash when they came out, I was so stoked to get it, because Stewart played them and all that...

Then I tried to use it, and it felt like I just couldn't get a sound out of it. It eventually cracked and that was that.

I got into a PF tribute and decided to get a set of 2002s, with 15" sound edge hats. They fit so well in that music, with a darker ride mixed in. Something about the combination of those cymbals and the Stratocaster that works. The 15" hats fit really well in the mix too, just present enough.
Nick mason used a GB

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A big fan of the thin-to-medium 2002 cymbals. Pitch-wise they are not exceedingly high.