PAT BENATAR Friday Five Fer

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pat Benatar followed
"Video Killed The Radio Star'
with the 2nd video ever played on MTV (there's an bonus nugget for ya).
--Great vocals, great band with
the ~Not underrated by me~
Myron Grombacher on drums
(and the first record's Glen Alexander Hamilton).
--Couple of
absolutely live songs
from the show "Fridays"
with an unexpected gong hit.
--Neil Giraldo plays interesting guitar solos (I just learned he and Myron were previously with
Rick Derringer).
--The first tune really brings back the MTV heyday memories for me...

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember getting that first album ... it was on Chrysalis ... had that plasticy inner sleeve and cool logo ... the Blondie album was on it, also. Loved that label during the 70s and 80s. So cool.
I wore the grooves out of the first one.
Great drumming ... powerful ... creative ... POWERFUL.
... and I distinctly remember first seeing Myron for the first time ... and giggling at his stature. How could a little dude like that play so freeeeekin powerfully?
That guy still puts a smile on my face.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Loved a lot of her songs - such a tremendous vocal talent and solid rock presence. Never saw them live but I did see Myron at a Boston Zildjian Day in clinic, with the big white Ludwig kit in the Japanese finish. He did a fantastic clinic, played so well and had great info, and that kit sounded warm and just enormous. Highly energetic and a super nice guy. Neil Giraldo was/is a fantastic guitar player but his solo on Shadows Of The Night is a huge head scratcher to me. It sounds like he was doing a line test while tracking! They were a great husband and wife team.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Pssst Buddy. We're not allowed to say we like Pat Benetar for another 6.3 years. The poor Nickleback fan still has about 23 left on his clock.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the few early 80's MTV artists that had great songwriting and musicians. I too made the trek to Peaches records and tapes to buy that first album as a youngster. I couldn't have been more than 10 at the time.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
--Great vocals, great band with the ~Not underrated by me~ Myron Grombacher on drums.
--Neil Giraldo plays interesting guitar solos (I just learned he and Myron were previously with Rick Derringer).
Love me some Myron too...
Speaking of Derringer, the stand-outs* for me from the "If I Weren't so Romantic, I'd Shoot You" album are "Easy Action," "Midnight Road" and "Lawyers, Guns and Money" (W. Zevon cover), check 'em out!
EDIT: Now that I recall, I liked "Sleepless" and the Grombacher penned "Attitude" too... actually it's a pretty solid album!

Is there anything better than the intro to Shadows of the Night? I love it!
For me, I always like this Myron/PB intro the best...

Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love her music and Myron really is fantastic! My wife was lucky she got to see PB in the early days. Good stuff brings back fond memories...

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Promises in the Dark by far my favorite Pat Benatar tune. Myron managed to inflict some pretty good dents in those tom heads. :)

Cool that Pat and Neil are still together after all these years, AFAIK.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Loved a lot of her songs - such a tremendous vocal talent and solid rock presence. Never saw them live but I did see Myron at a Boston Zildjian Day in clinic, with the big white Ludwig kit in the Japanese finish. He did a fantastic clinic, played so well and had great info, and that kit sounded warm and just enormous. Highly energetic and a super nice guy. Neil Giraldo was/is a fantastic guitar player but his solo on Shadows Of The Night is a huge head scratcher to me. It sounds like he was doing a line test while tracking! They were a great husband and wife team.
These?

Myron was also in the July 1983 MD:
http://www.moderndrummer.com/article/july-1983-myron-grombacher-rock-n-roll-energy/

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just listened to that solo again. I think it is very much so creative - as it is so different. What he is doing there totally works (IMHO) in a totally unique and richly stylistic way.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
She did'nt write the majority of their stuff but.. My Favorites from her band

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the few early 80's MTV artists that had great songwriting and musicians. I too made the trek to Peaches records and tapes to buy that first album as a youngster. I couldn't have been more than 10 at the time.
Ah Peaches! We used to go to one that was down in South Miami. I was about the same age. My folks had the Peaches wood crates that they sold to hold all the 33's.
Good memories!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching those. I liked some of the phrasing differences on the guitar on Best Shot, even though the original's phrasing is one of the things that really makes the song. I know that people (including Pat) are REALLY tired of this song but I've always loved the guitar phrasing in it and found that part in particular really interesting. To be fair - I didn't discover it until a decade after it's heyday.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They introduced John Cougar Mellencamp's "I need a lover" to a wider audience.
Here is a good cover too

Latest posts