Patriotic kits: RED WHITE BLUE

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
CAMCO

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/53265-patriotic-kits-red-white-blue/page__hl__patriotic__st__20

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
How about Buddy Miles's very patriotic Rogers kit? A 60's iconic drum kit that I wish I owned!
View attachment 105826
Fine drums and a fine album too . The horns on " Dreams to Remember" ( D. Allman )are magnificent !! Buddy Miles was a very hard hitter at that time,and those Swivo's gave it right back to him . I witnessed this close up at the Rockpile in Toronto way back when. Those Swivo's are the ultimate tribute to the ultimate in American drum making, and the Stars and Stripes motif was the icing on the cake. I love that record .

Larry Crowley

Reaction score
This is the same kit I bought in 1975. Had the two smaller toms made at a custom drum shop in Denver.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is the same kit I bought in 1975. Had the two smaller toms made at a custom drum shop in Denver.

I'll gladly just stick with my late 60's Slingies (20-12-14). I replaced he trashed White Sparkle bands with vintage appropriate White Marine Pearl that I think looks better with the original Blue and Red Glass Glitter bands. I have snare drums in matching WMP, Red Glass Glitter, and Blue Glass Glitter. And, for now, my Ludwig Blue Sparkle canister throne will have to do.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score

I'll gladly just stick with my late 60's Slingies (20-12-14). I replaced he trashed White Sparkle bands with vintage appropriate White Marine Pearl that I think looks better with the original Blue and Red Glass Glitter bands. I have snare drums in matching WMP, Red Glass Glitter, and Blue Glass Glitter. And, for now, my Ludwig Blue Sparkle canister throne will have to do.
I think you should find a '70s Slingeland in red or blue sparkle that has been modified or needs repair, and have it re-done to match your set.

I'm an enabler.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Thanks. I remember that Dan likes it better like just pictured. The green snare and gold FT might be a bit busy, but I still love it too. Some might remember that the bass was the first "bean." I posted pictures of the whole project on that drum. It's B&B lugs but has the shaper bering edges. Puts it at '63. Ace

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
OK, so I did the acrylic kit again. Last years kit (in first post on this thread I started) had a clear zickos BD and blue mounted tom and red floor tom with silver sparkle Ludwig split snare. This year I used a blue bass drum, red mounted, and clear floor vistalites. Snare was a 20's 4x14 NOB 2 pc shell, nice and crisp sounding outdoors. Some 80's A 15 new beats, 20 70's A ride and a 16 and 18 black label 2002 crashes (only part of this kit NOT made in good ol USA). Always a good time! Got down under 90 degrees around 9pm but couldtn have fireworks at the party this year...too dry in many parts of Hoosierland this year.

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
OK, so did ANYONE have a 4th of July gig (with a non-patriotic kit)? I know most folks go somewhere to watch fireworks, but it is a party holiday, right?

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a lousy picture of my patriotic kit (ignore the snare). Ludwig Classic Birch. I've owned it for over a year and haven't had a single opportunity to play it.
One day.....

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
OK, so did ANYONE have a 4th of July gig (with a non-patriotic kit)? I know most folks go somewhere to watch fireworks, but it is a party holiday, right?
Haha, sure did. Played a big festival thing on the 4th with a gold oyster pearl kit (read: tiger stripe orange/black). And my band's name is These United States, so you'd certainly think that if ANYONE should have a bicentennial vistalite kit or something... :/

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny, my wife and I were just having this discussion...I just picked up a White Rogers Big R kit 12/13/16/22. I have a 14 mounted tom already. She says to me "you should get those blue oily heads they'd look cool!" I said maybe....then she shows me Evans Red hydraulics online (I'd never seen or heard of them)and she says...." it would look cool if the set was red/white and blue" gotta love it. :icon_smile: So, I'm actually considering doing this but Red Evans hydraulic heads are a rare find evidently.. :unsure: anyone know where they can be had?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny, my wife and I were just having this discussion...I just picked up a White Rogers Big R kit 12/13/16/22. I have a 14 mounted tom already. She says to me "you should get those blue oily heads they'd look cool!" I said maybe....then she shows me Evans Red hydraulics online (I'd never seen or heard of them)and she says...." it would look cool if the set was red/white and blue" gotta love it. :icon_smile: So, I'm actually considering doing this but Red Evans hydraulic heads are a rare find evidently.. :unsure: anyone know where they can be had?
Sounds like you have a keeper there, DW.... Wish my wife would scare up drum stuff (or VW or truck stuff for that matter) for me!!

Those Evans hydraulics are super heavy btw. Just a "heads" up on that..... They would look pretty cool though.... I have seen them rarely. Someone here on DFO had one in ForSale a while back NOS show up from time to time and I don't know if they currently make them.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jim, yes she's a keeper! I already contacted Evans and they aren't currently available. I was figuring they'd be the right era for the Big R kit. I guess the only up side is that if I only scare up a few Red drumheads I can easily get the alternating blue ones. I tried some clear hydraulics on a kit I just finished for my boss (for his practice room) They didn't sound bad at all. Clear Hyd over Clear G1's 10/12/14 power depth toms. The 12 and 14 were spot on from the beginning I had to tweak the 10 a bit but it too dialed in just fine. They were Premier APK's from Komodobob. The Big R kit is currently on layaway pick it up Tuesday. It's New England white 22/12/13/16...I have a couple feelers out for 8/10 inch concert toms and an 18" floor tom. If those prices are right it'll be a seventies monster (complete with hollow logo Zildjians eventually) Too bad I don't have the hairline to go with it anymore :)

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw that kit on ebay, CJ. It was originally sold dirty with poor photos. Whoever bought them cleaned 'em up and relisted them as shown in that photo. There were three floor toms (one 14 and two 16's) in the first auction. It's a sweet set and I was tempted. Although, I still haven't played my red/white/blue Olympic kit and it is a year later.

Latest posts