Patriotic kits: RED WHITE BLUE

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
although I strayed from my usual red/blue/clear combo in Ludwig/Zickos acrylics this year, I have some patriotic sense of why I played this kit this year. First year of swivo (aluminum mounts) Slingerland blue satin kit, the red head is original clear head painted, prob in 60's as had paper hippie flowers all over it. Working on getting acceptable shipping rate to Finland for DFO member snurf for this kit, thought I'd play it at least one time before it goes, so the all-American send-off it is. I used 15" 80s New Beats, 50's 18", 60's 20", and 70's 22". This kit was owned twice before me I think, previous owner inherited them, so maybe not played for a LONG time....one round for the good ol US. I guess all my orig pics have been deleted since the revamp of DFO site so I'll repost those eventually on this thread. Post up your 4th kits, esp those who went patriotic!

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't play for any 4th of July gigs this year, but I did build a 4x14 custom snare drum some years back with a patriotic theme!

Attachments

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anybody know when Ludwig introduced that wrap? My current 26x14 Green Sparkle kick, which is date stamped 1969, used to have that exact wrap and it was original because the wrap went into the shell (scarf joint).

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
20-12-14 Slingies that appear to be late 60's/early 70's by serial numbers. As I mentioned when the thread was first started, the white bands were that horrible White Sparkle. The Blue Glass Glitter and the Red Glass Glitter bands looked pristine, and the white was all discolored with the layers delaminating. So, I removed the white, and replaced it with Slingy style WMP. I have a snare drum to match each of the color bands. I recently traded my Blue Sparkle Ludwig canister throne for terrific Purple Diamond Pearl W&A snare drum.

Attachments

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I asked this under a photo caption so I'm not sure of the visibility but does anybody know when Ludwig started using this style of wrap (like on Bermuda's kit)? I can't seem to locate the info? Thanks guys.

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lets bring this back each year, surely some of play every 4th of July. I used to do a red/clear/blue acrylic combo of some sorts with vistas and zickos, but its an opportunity to play a kit I havent played.....last year was the Slingerlands, now this year I opt for all blue again, playing the full 9 pc Powerhouse 10/12/13/14/15/16/18/24/5x14. This was 9th year at a friends big neighborhood party/hog roast/fireworks, next year should be something more spectacular.

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slingerland 20,12,14 w/mtch 5x14 ... the bass drum hoops are really cool... white spk inlay between dark blue paint and red paint...

Attachments

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
I saw and heard these at the Continental in Austin Texas. The owner/player is Tom Lewis who plays a 6 hr gig very Sunday with the Wagoneers and then Heybail. For the last 14 years or so. . . . Boom. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
This year I finished a kit I had sitting for a couple of years, a real BARN find! 13/14/15/16/20/24 White Vistalite. Twas a mess, bass drum total seam crack, and cracks in the 14 and 15. Used Weldon 4 with good results. I heard the white vistas really absorb colored light and glow and they do! I added a little red and blue to the kit for out annual 4th party gig, but the all white was a good fit since the host and hostess tied the knot this year at their party! check the vid for the glow effect. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=491244234372224&set=pcb.491245514372096&type=1&theater