Paul Francis Cymbal Craftsman

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw via Steve Maxwell's website that Paul is now making his own cymbals. Steve will have a bunch at his booth at the Chicago Drum Show

2oo2

Reaction score
Those cymbals are going to be hot and in demand, just watch how PF hand-hammers and lathes them with the utmost skill and care. I already see prices are on the steep side but I’d gladly pay for them though.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just saw via Steve Maxwell's website that Paul is now making his own cymbals. Steve will have a bunch at his booth at the Chicago Drum Show

Was just looking at some of his Instagram vids. I didn’t know he inverted cymbals to hammer the bottom side. I wonder if that’s a standard practice.

3 Olives

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those cymbals are going to be hot and in demand, just watch how PF hand-hammers and lathes them with the utmost skill and care. I already see prices are on the steep side but I’d gladly pay for them though.
I doubt that Steve Maxwell will be bringing any back from the Drum Show. They’re probably a better investment than the stock market right now- and you get to use them.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The one thing I notice in his lathing videos compared to a lot of others is his lathe actually spins fast just like at the factories. A lot of the other cymbal smiths I see on YouTube they don’t have the other going that fast.

zenstat

Reaction score
Was just looking at some of his Instagram vids. I didn’t know he inverted cymbals to hammer the bottom side. I wonder if that’s a standard practice.

Note that I don't do Instagram nor any other Antisocial Media, so I haven't watched the video of Paul inverting. I'm basing my reply on what I think inversion means in cymbal making. For example this is an inverted cymbal (late 50s 16" regular shape) which the seller mistakenly thought was a China.

16-nvrt-bot.jpg

16-nvrt-side.jpg

Inverting is standard practice as seen in a number of videos of cymbal production in Turkey. But given the number of cymbals manufactured by the big four (Meinl, Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian) compared to Turkey and other regions (Italy, China) and the independents, the majority of cymbals might not be made using inversion to hammer the bottom side.

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that I don't do Instagram nor any other Antisocial Media, so I haven't watched the video of Paul inverting. I'm basing my reply on what I think inversion means in cymbal making. For example this is an inverted cymbal (late 50s 16" regular shape) which the seller mistakenly thought was a China.

View attachment 555665

View attachment 555666

Inverting is standard practice as seen in a number of videos of cymbal production in Turkey. But given the number of cymbals manufactured by the big four (Meinl, Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian) compared to Turkey and other regions (Italy, China) and the independents, the majority of cymbals might not be made using inversion to hammer the bottom side.

i have seen some of those videos, and it is amazing how they casually they invert them back and forth.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this is potentially a great thing. At such a large company he might have had to compromise certain things in order to make cymbals for mass market appeal/usefulness or production constraints. Now as an independent he’ll have more freedom to make artistic design decisions using his broad experience. It will be interesting to see what happens. I wish him good luck.