Paul Francis left Zildjian?

David M Scott

Reaction score
The silliest of all... Turks don't make cymbals! When will we see Genuine Armenian Cymbals? :tongue3:
I know the Armenians hate the Turks going back to the Ottoman Empire when the Turks subdued and subjected
the Armenians to almost genocide, but as cash is king i'm betting some of those cymbal shops are owned or have Turkish partners if not workers. The Dutch, Belgians, French and other countries who lived through occupation by Germans in WW2 hated them but 66 years later are now allies and inter marriage is common. So i'm betting the same happened in Turkey.
Just an old guy speaking from experience.
ciao

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the Armenians hate the Turks going back to the Ottoman Empire when the Turks subdued and subjected
the Armenians to almost genocide, but as cash is king i'm betting some of those cymbal shops are owned or have Turkish partners if not workers. The Dutch, Belgians, French and other countries who lived through occupation by Germans in WW2 hated them but 66 years later are now allies and inter marriage is common. So i'm betting the same happened in Turkey.
Just an old guy speaking from experience.
ciao
Just a joke really. They are made in Turkey or Turkish style (place vs. people), so close enough. :)

Hey, and Paul Francis isn't either of them!

Last edited:

KMAC

Reaction score
Read an Instagram post by an endorser who had left and gone to Sabian because of this. Said cutting Sarah and Paul loose was the key to his decision. Said No one at the company even contacted him and he had no clue who was the contact now.
Comments on that thread mentioned corporate decisions are now at the forefront. I cant imagine Armand would be happy. Might be this guy.

I guess if you need a razor, paint or some cranberry juice Stephan's your man! LOL. That's his background.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess if you need a razor, paint or some cranberry juice Stephan's your man! LOL. That's his background.
You can’t really blame Stephans, he’s cut from the same cloth as every CEO in America today. It’s all part of their sell job to get hired and keep their job. Stephans gets more money, profit sharing and benefits as he drives up the rate of EBITDA. I hate to say it like this, but no one cares that one or twenty endorsers leave, that’s just less expense and that drives the return. They can even walk cymbal sales and rely on Firth & Balter divisions to deliver higher gross profit at a faster turn.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Estonians have a dial use for cymbals. They are pl

Estonians make full use of cymbals at Weddings, and Bar Mitzvahs.. They are struck once then wine bottle corks are inserted in the bells and they double as dinner plates. Rumour has it Paiste moved to Switzerland hoping to capture that market. The Swiss however insist that the great Alpine Horn is the only legitimate instrument to be used for celebrations and found that the traditional Swiss celebration dinner of melted cheese and potatoes stuck horribly to the cymbals. Luckily for the Paiste's there was an Armenian community and they bought the cymbals to play to celebrate Mother in Law Funerals as in the ild country.
I have to sign off now as the van is here to take me back to the institution.
Now it all makes sense! The famous Paiste clear coat is actually Teflon to repel all that cheese. Thank you for the history. :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Paul resurfaced on .. sociali Media anywhere.......or is he still sailing around the world

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Paul resurfaced on .. sociali Media anywhere.......or is he still sailing around the world
I wonder if he received a package from Zildjian and has a non compete clause ? Plus some wording that he is not to discuss his departure from Zildjian ?

Last edited:

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
Anyone ID the cymbals on his most recent IG post? I couldn't quite make them out...

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not on Linked In, but Paul is. If you want to chat with him, maybe you can connect via Linked In.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Physically Paul is still living where he was.
My friend, whose brewery Paul visits sometimes, nearly got him to drum in his band (his drummer is moving to tiawan)....I've run into him sometimes at the brewery not since his departure though....

gra7

Reaction score
“Since joining the company as president at the beginning of 2017, John has already had a major impact on the development and execution of the roadmap for growing the family of brands including Zildjian, Vic Firth and Balter Mallets,” said Craigie Zildjian. “Equally important, John’s previous management and leadership experience with leading brands such as Gillette, Ocean Spray, and IdeaPaint, together with his interpersonal style have allowed him to quickly assimilate into our unique culture and the music industry.”

Doesn’t seem that making premier musical instruments is a high priority here.
100% agree. It's now all about the brand and selling product, and not for the instrument. I suspect we will see a lot of high-end players and staff leave - and while I haven't read anything, I would guess this would/could be causing friction with longer term staff.

I recently switched cymbal brands myself because of the prices they are trying to charge where I live (Australia) have gone into the ridiculous territory. $1,100 AUD for K Constantinople 14" Hi-Hats and $900 AUD for K Sweet 14" Hi-Hats as two nuts examples. I am also waiting for the new motto - Zildjian - the best a band can get.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
100% agree. It's now all about the brand and selling product, and not for the instrument. I suspect we will see a lot of high-end players and staff leave - and while I haven't read anything, I would guess this would/could be causing friction with longer term staff.

I recently switched cymbal brands myself because of the prices they are trying to charge where I live (Australia) have gone into the ridiculous territory. $1,100 AUD for K Constantinople 14" Hi-Hats and $900 AUD for K Sweet 14" Hi-Hats as two nuts examples. I am also waiting for the new motto - Zildjian - the best a band can get.
Unfortunately. In this over crowded market. Everything needs to be about selling.

Romantics are something from the past, and probably have been for a long time. But with awesome people like PF at least the image of caring more about the instrument than it is about money was still there.

This is not a Zildjian only thing, and certainly no reason for me to stop playing them. Because EVERY brand is about making money. It would be naive to think other bands are more people friendly.

If all they are just great imposters upkeeping that romantic image.

I only buy used Zildjian Sound Lab cymbals so I don’t have any issues with price raises. But in general prices in the market are raised sky high, also due to the pandemic.

DW/Gretsch for instance have raised up to 30% since of last Sunday.