Paul Francis left Zildjian?

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My source told me he didn't quit.
That’s a pretty high profile and ‘hard to replace’ position to just cut loose... coupled with the other high level A&R trimmings, it seems a pretty big restructuring is either in effect, or about to be

Curious what that means for future offerings/general company direction

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s a pretty high profile and ‘hard to replace’ position to just cut loose... coupled with the other high level A&R trimmings, it seems a pretty big restructuring is either in effect, or about to be

I was thinking similarly. That's like selling your liver because you're short on cash.

Kendrum

Reaction score
Read an Instagram post by an endorser who had left and gone to Sabian because of this. Said cutting Sarah and Paul loose was the key to his decision. Said No one at the company even contacted him and he had no clue who was the contact now.
Comments on that thread mentioned corporate decisions are now at the forefront. I cant imagine Armand would be happy. Might be this guy.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please, please, please, please, please no new hip logo that appeals to the young demographic.....!!!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Equally important, John’s previous management and leadership experience with leading brands such as Gillette, Ocean Spray, and IdeaPaint,
together with his interpersonal style have allowed him to quickly assimilate into our unique culture and the music industry.”

Interesting background.

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
“Equally important, John’s previous management and leadership experience with leading brands such as Gillette, Ocean Spray, and IdeaPaint,
together with his interpersonal style have allowed him to quickly assimilate into our unique culture and the music industry.”

Interesting background.
Just another CEO trying to work with a company for a few years.

A shame :(

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Second paragraph is Zildjian CEO Joh Stephans LinkedIn Bio. Pay particular attention to the very first line stating he has 'deep experience accelerating short term bottom line performance'. As a retired VP in retail, I can tell you that this means he utilizes flat out 'haircuts of expenses' in the face of poor sales. And the Immediate Expense cut is always people. People that are high paid, people that are challenged in the business climate, people that are too smart, people that are head-strong with their own ideas, people that won't kiss the CEO's rear. I've seen this tactic, under the term 'Right Sizing The Company' used more and more. With fewer positions and lots of unemployed, Expensing Your Way to Profit has become the Go-To Button for driving Short Term P&L Bottom Line and 'smoke & mirror' your way into seeming dominant as your sales continue to dwindle.

Accomplished CEO with deep experience accelerating short term and long term top and bottom line performance and developing brand equity for B2C and B2B businesses with both Domestic & Global footprints. Links vision with execution excellence throughout all parts of the P&L and balance sheet to drive increased enterprise value. Attracts and develops high performance talent & teams to create positive culture momentum. Responds to rapidly changing priorities in fast-paced environments, leveraging problem-solving and decision-making abilities to effectively navigate the complexities of a company’s competitive landscape.

Specialties: P&L/Balance Sheet Optimization & Delivery, Talent Acquisition/Talent Development, Brand Positioning, Portfolio Strategy, Innovation Pipeline, Customer Segmentation, Process Optimization

curly

Reaction score
Well if he was fired for big business reasons, it will basically take the chances I will buy anything new from Zildjian to zero. He was intermittently active on the cymbalholic forum and took time to respond to questions, pms, etc.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Second paragraph is Zildjian CEO Joh Stephans LinkedIn Bio. Pay particular attention to the very first line stating he has 'deep experience accelerating short term bottom line performance'. As a retired VP in retail, I can tell you that this means he utilizes flat out 'haircuts of expenses' in the face of poor sales. And the Immediate Expense cut is always people. People that are high paid, people that are challenged in the business climate, people that are too smart, people that are head-strong with their own ideas, people that won't kiss the CEO's rear. I've seen this tactic, under the term 'Right Sizing The Company' used more and more. With fewer positions and lots of unemployed, Expensing Your Way to Profit has become the Go-To Button for driving Short Term P&L Bottom Line and 'smoke & mirror' your way into seeming dominant as your sales continue to dwindle.

Accomplished CEO with deep experience accelerating short term and long term top and bottom line performance and developing brand equity for B2C and B2B businesses with both Domestic & Global footprints. Links vision with execution excellence throughout all parts of the P&L and balance sheet to drive increased enterprise value. Attracts and develops high performance talent & teams to create positive culture momentum. Responds to rapidly changing priorities in fast-paced environments, leveraging problem-solving and decision-making abilities to effectively navigate the complexities of a company’s competitive landscape.

Specialties: P&L/Balance Sheet Optimization & Delivery, Talent Acquisition/Talent Development, Brand Positioning, Portfolio Strategy, Innovation Pipeline, Customer Segmentation, Process Optimization
Z is going to have problems attracting talent given its recent treatment of Paul, Tina and Sarah.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is disappointing. Zildjian is all I've owned since I started playing 30 years ago, so I feel some sort of connection with the brand. I know they've got a business to run, but for a company that touts its long history it's a shame to see them act so short-sightedly.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read an Instagram post by an endorser who had left and gone to Sabian because of this. Said cutting Sarah and Paul loose was the key to his decision. Said No one at the company even contacted him and he had no clue who was the contact now.
Comments on that thread mentioned corporate decisions are now at the forefront. I cant imagine Armand would be happy. Might be this guy.

What happened to Craigie Zildjian? I thought she was CEO and owned the family business.
I thought there were other Zildjians in the family coming up to continue the business as well.

(maybe they need to make amends with some cousins)

Kendrum

Reaction score
What happened to Craigie Zildjian? I thought she was CEO and owned the family business.
I thought there were other Zildjians in the family coming up to continue the business as well.

(maybe they need to make amends with some cousins)
Scroll down. She's listed as the Executive Chair above the CEO.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

1) I agree with your assessment. 2) This corporate verbiage is hilarious to me. I work for a multibillion dollar company (I'm the maintenance guy) and most people couldn't find their ass with both hands. I understand that's how the game is played and it's ALWAYS about the money. Unfortunately, it's rare when a company has both the profit margin and the familial quality most people seek in a job. I don't know anything about Paul other than he probably made a couple of my cymbals with his own hands, his depth of knowledge and experience with Zildjian is legendary and he seems like a real great person. All this corporate manuveuvering is poopy and it's all about money and if that's the reason Paul left, I wish him the best in whatever he does.

Last edited by a moderator: