Paul Francis left Zildjian?

highmileage

Reaction score
That Drum History podcast with Paul was really cool. He totally sounded like a guy with so much passion for the company that he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Can’t imagine leaving was his choice, just a short time later.

I see John has Gillette on his resume. That’s the company famous for starting factories in emerging markets for cheap labor, then shutting them down when the labor rate gets too high (still a tiny fraction of what you’d see here). Unlike other places like China, the workers have few choices when that happens. Certainly hope nothing like that happens here.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did find them signing drummers that have a lower profile often the last months. Like they only went on what somebody sends in on paper without checking, or like they are friends with a local rep.

Six-Ply

Reaction score
I looked at Zildjian's Twitter account yesterday and scrolled back three months..can see what they are pushing..and the direction(s) they're heading and leaning . Seemed normal
I had been enjoying Pauls Instagram posts through most of 2020. Right around Christmas time he posted some pics of some Christmas cookies and candy he made himself. After those posts there are no more cymbal history posts at all which seemed odd since he was posting so much amazing info on different cymbal models and cymbal making in general.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one should be upset about anything. If Z (or all cym co’s) went belly up tomorrow we’d be ok. They are tool makers, at best. We are the carpenters. We build what is music. No tools existed at the dawn of music, because we were the music. We don’t need anything.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one should be upset about anything. If Z (or all cym co’s) went belly up tomorrow we’d be ok. They are tool makers, at best. We are the carpenters. We build what is music. No tools existed at the dawn of music, because we were the music. We don’t need anything.
But we love cymbals.

I can forage for food too, but I appreciate curated grocery stores.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you employed?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
But we love cymbals.

I can forage for food too, but I appreciate curated grocery stores.
Plus, we like it when we come to know the people who are involved in the instruments we love. We enjoy and want to support the work they do. And we want to support them in it. We prefer this to just thinking of them as anonymous bean counter types. And that's who's running the company now. No ingenuity ever comes from those types.
A pity.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And how does one work without tools?

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Francis was probably Zildjian's last chance to remain as a respected musical instrument maker rather than just a mass manufacturer of musical hardware. Serious drummers will soon be looking elsewhere, but it won't worry the NEW Zildjian - they'll be selling heaps to the guys who break cymbals rather than play them, and the kids who get them for Christmas but have given up on them by Easter.

I wonder what Robert Zildjian at Sabian would have thought of all this? Maybe he saw it coming years ago.

Last edited:

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Plus, we like it when we come to know the people who are involved in the instruments we love. We enjoy and want to support the work they do. And we want to support them in it. We prefer this to just thinking of them as anonymous bean counter types. And that's who's running the company now. No ingenuity ever comes from those types.
A pity.
I don't want to play devil's advocate, but Paul probably never touched any of my Zildjians. And all of them sound so very different. It's cool that he is a creator and a brilliant man, but I am curious to understand exactly how he has impacted my many Zildjians over the years. Many of which were duds. I mean, if a talented head chef at a restaurant leaves, it doesn't impact the customers very much when the line cooks have been ruining half the meals.

There's something in the chain of Z that led to a lot of bad sounding cymbals over many years. Certainly losing the talent at the top of the chain of command isn't any kind of way to get better, but you can see what I'm saying. Zildjian is too large of a company. I hope there's another, better opportunity for Paul.

No disrespect to Paul and other talented craftsmen and chefs. I wish him the best and I hope he left on his own terms. I recently left a company that I helped start due to poor executive leadership, so I feel the pain.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading the CEO's bio I'm glad that I've finally massaged my A and K Zildjian cymbal inventory to exactly where I want it (give or take a crash), because I don't feel very comfortable supporting a company that does business this way. If I have to invest in new cymbals in the future I may very well be looking elsewhere. And I'm saying this as someone who has purchased only Zildjian cymbals ever since I bought my first ones in 1966.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well this is sad I loved watching and reading anything Paul would do with zildjian. If they blame COVID for this then they should prolly stop giving YouTube cover drummers free cymbals and actually keep the employees on. Who knows what the reason is but Paul
Leaving just doesn’t sit right with me. Sad to hear this.

curly

Reaction score
A pity.
i agree, relationships matter. I guess I grew up with an appreciation for craft and the relationships that come with knowing and working with the craftsman or women. A big part of why I have supported independent cymbal smiths, beyond the quality of their work. Will be interested to see what Paul does next.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul have no problem finding work, plenty of great cymbal companies that would lv to have him aboard. I'm sure he's already hooked up. Wish Paul and the beautiful Zildjian ladies all the best.
zildjian_girls06-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
I am curious to understand exactly how he has impacted my many Zildjians over the years.

If he had anything to do with lines such as...
  • K Sweet's,
  • Take Five reissue,
  • A Avedis
  • K Dark's,
  • Low volume LV's
  • Kerope's
  • redesigned A's (wow!)
  • Constantinople's and all the variations,
  • K Custom Sessions,
  • K Custom Dry Complex series,
  • even the S Series and ZBT's
...then he is at least partially responsible for taking the company out of the "clanger status" it was mired in and is worth his weight in gold.

Last edited:

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am curious to understand exactly how he has impacted my many Zildjians over the years.

If he had anything to do with lines such as...
  • K Sweet's,
  • Take Five reissue,
  • A Avedis
  • K Dark's,
  • Low volume LV's
  • Kerope's
  • redesigned A's (wow!)
  • Constantinople's and all the variations,
  • K Custom Sessions,
  • K Custom Dry Complex series,
  • even the S Series and ZBT's
...then he is at least partially responsible for taking the company out of the "clanger status" it was mired in and is worth his weight in gold.

Plus some really cool reproductions/ artist influenced cymbals with Memphis Drum Shop and DCP.

Last edited: