Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a lyricist and songwriter
he's ten feet tall

Last edited:

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last year the Houston Symphony backed a pair of singers that did most of S&G's catalog and i had forgotten just how many songs they wrote/performed in their career. Not to mention the songs they performed as individual artists. The show lasted approximately 2 hours with them ending the night with "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Brought the house to their feet. Insanely talented artists to be sure.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Fantastic writer and storyteller, criminally underrated guitarist. For me, his finest project is The Rhythm Of The Saints. If anyone hasn’t heard it yet, it is a forest of percussion punctuating some highly intelligent compositions. Takes me somewhere else every time.

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
Don't forget Steve Gadd's unforgettable riff on "50 Ways"....
The great drummer that Steve is (although I haven't seen him much since he and his family moved from Rochester to Arizona) he's also one of the greatest guys you could ever call your friend. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
The great drummer that Steve is (although I haven't seen him much since he and his family moved from Rochester to Arizona) he's also one of the greatest guys you could ever call your friend. Just sayin'.
Preachin' to the choir. I saw him on his "Mission from Gadd" tour, and met him then....he was super-nice.

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
Preachin' to the choir. I saw him on his "Mission from Gadd" tour, and met him then....he was super-nice.
A wonderful human being. Grateful for his talent and success, and very approachable -- humble and willing to share his knowledge and experience with his fellow drummers, or anyone else.

Just a regular Joe.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
A wonderful human being. Grateful for his talent and success, and very approachable -- humble and willing to share his knowledge and experience with his fellow drummers, or anyone else.

Just a regular Joe.
No kidding; when I asked him about the riff he wrote for "50 Ways", he made it sound like it was simple, and anyone could have done it, no big deal. I guess that's humility in a large dose. The true masters make it look and sound easy. Steve playing it down is even more impressive.

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
No kidding; when I asked him about the riff he wrote for "50 Ways", he made it sound like it was simple, and anyone could have done it, no big deal. I guess that's humility in a large dose. The true masters make it look and sound easy. Steve playing it down is even more impressive.
Well said, bell. Steve Gadd in a nutshell.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Just a regular Joe.
Saw him once at MSG with James Taylor. We had great seats 3 rows back and at the end of the night, the band gets together up front for a bow. We applaud and for whatever reason Steve’s eye catches mine and I threw him a peace sign and a smile. He laughs, gets out of the line, comes over shakes my hand, then goes and grabs his set list from his riser and gave it to me. Such a great guy.

Latest posts