PAYING FOR FOH

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
?

Last edited:

Blisco

Reaction score
We will pay a soundguy for certain venues. They show up and run the ipad. We set it all up. They get a flat rate of $100. It's really worth the peace of mind to be able to focus on the playing. I wish we could afford to always have someone.

ricco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Soundman runs my gear, but he stores, hauls and does set up and tear down. We generally pay him about $125-$140. However, it is still stressful for me especially when there is an issue. Fortunately, our soundman gave notice that he is done, so I am selling my PA gear. I'll be free of any responsibility for providing or running sound. We will use our smaller system, and when we need a larger PA, we will hire a sound company. I look forward to just playing drums.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If I was just showing up to run sound and didn't have to carry set up tear down etc $75 - 100 would be great (to compare that's about what the good gigs pay here, but a lot are also tip gigs that we make between $30-50 for a 2 hour show) I've only done sound for a few bands where I wasn't also playing and brought all the gear set up tear down and all. Those depending on budget were $100-300 basically what they could afford to pay from what they were getting. Again were friends so my price was different than for a cold call. I actually enjoy the set up and playing, it's tearing down and packing up I hate....but same goes for just a drum gig too.

Reactions: dtk

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We often hire a sound guy just like Blisco said above. $100. We have a couple guys we've used and helping us break down is part of the gig.

Targalx

Reaction score
I've paid for FOH anywhere from $50-$200 depending on the gig. For one band I toured with, we took a soundman (who tripled as van driver and gear tech) with us on the road, just to guarantee everything was in place. He was awesome and took care of my kit ASAP when a couple things broke. I don't know how much he was paid, but I'd guess $100 a day.

Joe61

Reaction score
Growing tired of dealing with subpar or inconsistent sound, and the stress of mixing from the stage, I am looking to hire someone to handle FOH. I'm not looking for someone to provide PA gear as I have more than enough. Anyone paying someone to run FOH for small gigs? If so, how much do you have to pay? Any other issues to consider?
[/QUOTE

I am glad you posted this topic. We mix from the stage and it is indeed frustrating. Where does a band begin to look for a sound person??
No one in our band, including me knows how to start the process.
What do you all do?

Joe

Targalx

Reaction score
FOH (Front of House) Engineer is the person running the audio/PA that the audience hears, whereas the Monitor Engineer is in charge of the audio that only the musicians on the stage would hear.

Reactions: JDA

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Find a (preferably 21 yr. old) kid who's interested in live music and mentor him.

Show him the ropes of a live music show. ( Running a mixing board, running a snake, winding cables, tuning guitars, casing & toting gear, micing drums & vocals, setting-up and operating lights)

We did this for a couple young 19 & 21 year old guys back in the 80's and they caught on quickly because they were eager & hungry to learn anything they could about live band performance; running sound, assembling drumsets, tuning guitars, etc...

They traveled with us, we fed them, hotel'd them - and they'd get whatever tips were in the jar at the gig's end.
usually 20 to 50 bucks each more or less and they got to hang out with all the other bands, meet plenty of girls and never pay to enter a music venue or concert we played --- along with their names on our record sleeves as official band techs. They loved this stuff and had the time of their lives which they've expressed to us several times since those days.

One of them now owns a sound company and the other is a widely acclaimed multi-instrumentalist with a studio of his own.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been gigging for 40 years.....never heard FOH.

But I'm a drummer. Go figure. I never hear FOH from my spot. Screw'm. LOL

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been gigging for 40 years.....never heard FOH.

But I'm a drummer. Go figure. I never hear FOH from my spot. Screw'm. LOL
I, too, had never heard of FOH! As it turns out, I was the FOH for my rock band, Reminisce, for almost 10 years. I dealt with all the PA equipment, mics, mixers, snakes, power amps, monitors, main speakers, sound effects, etc. I was pretty darn good at getting very good sounding vocals from our group...and I was ONLY the drummer! :icon_lol:

-Mark

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I, too, had never heard of FOH! As it turns out, I was the FOH for my rock band, Reminisce, for almost 10 years. I dealt with all the PA equipment, mics, mixers, snakes, power amps, monitors, main speakers, sound effects, etc. I was pretty darn good at getting very good sounding vocals from our group...and I was ONLY the drummer! :icon_lol:

-Mark
Yeah, we really are underrated.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
We typically run our own sound. Once it's set up for the venue, we rarely need to change anything. For venues with their own sound equipment, they usually provide a sound guy (or gal). If they don't have someone to run it, we'll set up our own board and run through their speakers, so we don't have to learn new equipment.

Latest posts