Paypal "gift option"

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi, it has come to our (the mods) attention that some sellers request the paypal"gift" option when purchasing an item.

We highly frown on and do not approve this. It is not right and the buyer has no protection, in the rare event it might be needed.

In fact, going forward if we see that in an ad, the ad will be pulled.

One simple solution is to simply split the fee, and all is good. Plus it is free to sell here.

Thanks, Ben and the DFO team.

mabdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Right on! This is the right call.

Pro tip: to sellers....even better than just requesting money is to create an INVOICE.
https://www.paypal.com/invoice/create

Invoices provide seller protection and the buyers receive their normal protection as well. There are also some very nice organizational features which are helpful.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been with PayPal for years now and wasn't aware of the invoice creation section! I plan to sell some snare drums and kits here and will use this to make it easier for both myself and the buyer. Thanks for the tip!

Mark

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Mark

I've been selling for years myself and wasn't aware of it (invoice) until someone requested one. I still only do it when asked to do so. It's easy to use though. I have many buyers that choose to pay me via friends and family method. I certainly don't turn it down. But I have never required or asked anyone to do it.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
MLayton said:
Mark

I've been selling for years myself and wasn't aware of it (invoice) until someone requested one. I still only do it when asked to do so. It's easy to use though. I have many buyers that choose to pay me via friends and family method. I certainly don't turn it down. But I have never required or asked anyone to do it.
The invoice is the way to go.
Shipping is easier with a confirmed PP address. I use it all the time.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll add that if anyone sees a seller requesting the gift option and we haven't caught it yet, feel free to use the report button and call it to our attention.

mewing

Reaction score
Yay for this!! It has been a beef of mine for some time. I refuse to buy if the seller demands the gift option, for all the reasons stated in the initial post, not to mention it violates PayPal's policy. It's only about 3.2% anyway. A small price to pay for the convenience, speed and protection that it offers.

NDdrummer13

Reaction score
It's circumventing the pp rules ( they can revoke your privilege ) and puts you the buyer at serious risk to get scammed.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
+1 on this Ben. Buyers remorse is not a fun thing to go through. And having no recourse, when paying via paypal gift leaves you completely at the mercy of the seller.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yup, I totally agree with this. Right on Ben and mods!

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess I'm the minority on this. And with all due respect (I know this is your house and I have no right telling you how to run it) where is it that you get to make the decision on how any private sales transaction shall be carried out? If as the buyer you want protection, then it's your responsibility to make sure you're protected. Why would you as administrator of a website dictate otherwise?

This decision and unanimous support is lost on me.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess I'm the minority on this. And with all due respect (I know this is your house and I have no right telling you how to run it) where is it that you get to make the decision on how any private sales transaction shall be carried out? If as the buyer you want protection, then it's your responsibility to make sure you're protected. Why would you as administrator of a website dictate otherwise?

This decision and unanimous support is lost on me.
Ok, fair enough, 1st off I see it as not a private transaction, once an item is listed for sale here at DFO it comes under my and the mods wing. And we have the option to set down
rules, which we did. Secondly it is flat out wrong.......to use a service to sell something that charges a fee then try to beat it thru a loophole....is wrong.
It is not a gift, it is a sale....to claim it is a gift and it is in fact a sale.....you know what that is called.......... Lying !!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to add that listings demanding "gift" payment make the whole for sale section look sleazy IMHO, because it appears that there's an effort to cheat PayPal and avoid their buyer protection. Ben isn't charging any listing fees, and no percentage of the sale price for exposing our used drum gear to a large number of potential buyers. So what is wrong with doing the right thing and paying the miniscule percentage that PayPal charges for making the money transfer easy for us? It's a very small cost of doing business that I'll gladly pay if I'm selling, and I appreciate the peace of mind that PayPal's protection gives to prospective buyers. It's a rule that many here had been wanting to see, and for good reason.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like I said, this is your house so I'll leave it at that.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Sponge, there are plenty of ways to get around rules, and no one here can control what you do. If you post a drum for sale and then demand PP gift payment when someone sends you a PM, the mods won’t know and you can take in the extra 3% if it’s that important to you. But is it really worth all that?

When I’m a buyer and the seller asks for a gift payment, I simply make my purchase contingent on the seller accepting a regular goods payment from me AND I add the 3% to what I send. That pretty quickly weeds out anyone doing shady business because I am willing to pay the few bucks for the protection offered by the payment system. If someone simply won’t accept a regular goods payment even after I offer to pay the fee, it’s a major red flag.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can also add the 3% as a buyer and pay using regular paypal, and you are protected. The seller gets the total they want, and the buyer has protection, if they want. Simple enough.