Paypal won't pay me until the item ships? Happen to you?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sold a cymbal to a forumite...payment's pending...when I click on it, it asks me to enter a tracking number...I'll be paid within 2 days or delivery.

Weird...I had one complaint in the past 12 months and Ebay found in my favor.

cutaway79

Reaction score
Yep. It's happened to me a few times. Not sure what the reason is.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just had the exact opposite happen....almost.

I ordered a shirt from Wornstar and they sent me the wrong one. Paypal made me ship it back and gave Wornstar 6-8 weeks after they recieved it to give me my refund even though it was 100% their mistake.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Happened to me once. I sold a snare drum to a forum member here and I had to wait for delivery. I'm not sure if its random, or what, but I do quite a bit of PayPal transactions and it only happened the one time.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
sold to a known well-known forumite? or one of the recent 'new arrivals'...
or.....any communication with the buyer

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
sold to a known well-known forumite? or one of the recent 'new arrivals'...
or.....any communication with the buyer
I have been talking to the forumite...he was surprised as well. Believe he's been with us for a while....I don't think its him.

Furious Styles

Reaction score
I've heard of it happening to new sellers, etablished sellers that sell something of relatively high value in a category they normally don't sell or when the seller rating drops to a level deemed not acceptable. Trying to prevent it for use as a short-term loan type deal, I would imagine.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently had frequent buyer / seller guy (not on this forum) send me payment for a cymbal but PayPal told me not to ship until it cleared. Took two weeks to get the ok. Guess he paid by recheck. Never had that happen before.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Regardless how they attempt to obscure it with legalese PayPal is a Bank. The terms you agree to clearly state that your balance is held with other members balance in a pooled corporate bank account that earns interest for PayPal, Delayed payments and refunds are also kept in this pooled account so they longer they can be held for whatever contrived reason the more money PayPal makes.

PayPal is a corporation, a bank, which according to eBay vs. Newmark is legally required to maximize profits. These delayed payments and refunds are simply business policy to achieve that goal. If I remember correctly there was a boycott against PayPal for a period of time when they fist rolled this policy out.

musiqman

Reaction score
It could be that the Paypal account is connected to a bank account instead of an creditcard like my account is set up. Then it can take some time to get clearance.

And companies mostly take their time to refund too I have noticed these 15+ years im using it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Years ago when I opened my PayPal and became a seller, it happened for like 1 year. After they saw various succesful transactions, they lifted that restriction. I haven't sold anything in a few months though so it makes me wonder if they started doing that now for everybody. I'm sure if you go into the PayPal help section, it should explain their policy.

Latest posts