PBS Country Music by Ken Burns

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen the concert show from the Ryman and the first two episodes. Very interesting and I've learned a lot. I had no clue the banjo came from Africa for instance. So far very well done and very informative. Definitely worth a watch if you like country music

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I've seen the concert show from the Ryman and the first two episodes. Very interesting and I've learned a lot. I had no clue the banjo came from Africa for instance. So far very well done and very informative. Definitely worth a watch if you like country music
I used to hang out at Elderly Instruments in Lansing MI, and they always had some super-interesting rustic proto-banjo things - no frets, some made from gourds, some with friction peg tuners like violins. Pretty cool.
Learning about instruments of the early 1900's is basically a study in the volume wars of pre-amplification, and a lot of what was learned from banjo development was applied to drums. A modern drum as it tunes and operates has much more in common with a banjo than a tack-headed Chinese tom or a rope-tension field snare.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Great series so far. Thanks to Bob Wills for bringing the drums in. The banjo was the "banjur" when it first came to the US. There is a very good documentary with Bela Fleck as he goes to Africa looking for the roots of the banjo. I'm not a big country fan, but I sure appreciate the simplicity and soulfulness of the genre.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good show ... amazing photographs when the camera was a fairly new invention and film footage too .

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love a good Ken Burns documentary, though clearly a Court Historian. My favorite: The Dust Bowl.

I’ll check this out.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'll have to check it out. I still haven't seen all of the Vietnam War series yet, but the country one should be a little easier to digest.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is it only on PBS or can I stream it? I really want to see this one. I LOVED his Vietnam documentary.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm recording it, watched part on Sunday and last night but was flipping to watch football as well. I feel I'm fairly informed of the history but there's still been some stuff I didn't know

Gumbeat

Reaction score
I am enjoying watching it and I am learning a ton as it goes. I feel it is great to watch for any musician whether you are a fan of country music or not. A lot of great musical principals mentioned apply to all genres of music.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the whole thing about drums in country came down to transport. Couple times it's stated string instruments "were easier to carry" & transport right? Same reason given for (lack of initially ) piano. Amazing pictures in this Doc. And the idea of
"song catchers" (??1) going house to house driving miles, knocking on doors inquiring if anyone has written any lyric etc amazing "song catchers"..

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Along with transport it was also that mostly people were rural and accompanying themselves singing on the front porch....not too many singing drummers back then ;) Pianos were probably too expensive on top of not being easy to transport. The song catchers story was amazing, I knew a lot of those early songs were "borrowed" but didn't realize the extent. It's been a real good series so far, though I'd like a little more of the story behind the story type stuff, but then again some of that either wouldn't be interesting to the majority of viewers or in some cases people don't want those stories out there.

Reactions: JDA

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Pretty interesting in the doucmentary to see the right turn Country and Western made in the late 50's early 60's ....to be more pop-like and meet the masses to be re-named Country by the marketing people.
Am no big fan, but have to say I prefer C&W over just C.