PBS - Miles Davis, Birth of the cool

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is what they call a movie, and I saw it in the theater when it came out. I think it's been discussed previously on the Forum.

It's very well done and is "warts and all," which I applaud. Definitely not something Disney et al. would ever put out. It's quite the history lesson, as it shows the man and his art but connects that to other bio factors in his life, as well as to the larger US history of his time.

It was thrilling to see it on the big screen, with big sound and a theater full of people.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Hate that I missed that. Looks like it is coming on again tomorrow night (Thursday) on our local PBS.

Mike

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
You can stream it for free on PBS, just login to PBS. Thanks for posting it, I’m watching it now! Didn’t know it was on there.

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
That is one of my favorite albums for listening pleasure. Great movie about Miles!!! This ain't no lie...Miles tried to pick up my girlfriend when she was waitressing in some place in Portland, Maine. I saw her a few days later and she asked me" if i had heard of him". I couldn't stop laughing. I guess he sent some guy over to bring her to the table. MILES...are you kidding me?

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just watched the whole thing. It's worth mentioning this is a fairly concise biography of Miles, with commentary by many who were there along with relatives, and some people who were close to Miles over various periods of his life. Very touching. I think the title is misleading though, because the Birth of The Cool was just (close to) the beginning for Miles. What an amazing career.

This is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for anyone who is a hardcore or casual fan or interested in history of late-20th century music, or even someone who knows nothing about Miles. Five stars!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
quick moving roller coaster ride and bring Kleenex...

best line for me George Wein offered 70,000$ for two comeback concerts they agreed and gave a down payment check for 35,000$. Miles straight went out and bought a car. A brand new (first year for fuel injection) late 80/early 81 Ferrari 308 GTSi in Yellow.
That warmed my heart.

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Watched tonight myself. Really enjoyed it. Knew a lot of it but learned a ton. Enjoyed seeing all of the footage as well.

Mike

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
THanks for the suggestion. I will have a look
I always liked his song "So what"...

Latest posts