PDP wood hoop kits

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried one of the pdp concept maple bop kits at Sam Ash. The kit sounds really nice for the boppers. The kick sounds like a 20". I would use that kit on a gig any time. Wood hoops on toms look and sound good. The kick was musical & made me like playing the kit. $700 new. With different heads & tunings this kit is versatile. The snare was wood 5x14 & also, dh&t, would sound really nice. The toms and kick are the reason to try this kit.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely priced kit, especially considering the wood hoops, which on their own can be very pricey. I've heard others speak well of this kit to.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've stated pi times, I LOVE my PDP Maple Classic WOOD HOOP kits (22,12,14 and 24,13,16). They sound incredible and feel so nice when laying a stick to them.
I have pulled in a Premier one-off African Mahogany Genista kit and a Noble & Cooley Horizon kit since bringing home the PDP.
Not to put too fine of a point on it, but I have one kit currently set up ... the PDP 24,13,16.

Last edited:

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great drums. I keep thinking I need to get a "better" bop kit. But after sitting behind this kit, I stop wanting.

Wideglyd

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a PDP Concept Birch and I love it. I own 5 other kits and the Concept Birch feels and sounds fantastic.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a fan of PDP's Concept series. Had a 12/14/20 Concept Maple that sounded great and still own a 10/12/12/16/24 Concept Birch kit that sounds great as well. I may cut Recording Custom edges on it when I have the time.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Concept Maple with the wood hoops and I love it. Got a great deal on a 13, 16, 18, 26 in black. Would love to find a 24 for it.

Cassady

Reaction score
I have the Concept Maple Classic bop kit in walnut stain with natural hoops and just got the matching snare drum. I really like these drums.

I also think that they may be discontinued since they're not on the current PDP web site. This caused me to order the matching snare just in case it gets harder to find in the future. I have Evans Calftone batters on the kit and really enjoy playing it. Which reminds me, I need to do some practice.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really dug its small footprint. I have a Dixon lift for my 20". What's the best way to roll with an 18" kick? I'm asking for real. Hacks too. There has to be a good way to secure better.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
I don't lift mine at all. Just slightly lower the kick beater and let it hit a little above center.

I have one of the early run "Pacific" CX kits 22, 10, 12, 14 which I bought due to sellers remorse over a DW 22, 10, 14. It's in the same exact blue, grey pearl finish as the DW's and I have recordings where you can't tell the difference. I believe it's been confirmed those use DW shells without reinforcing hoops. Beautiful warm, deep maple tone. I put legs on the 12x14 and had to borrow a special bit from a woodworking friend of mine when drilling the holes as that is some seriously hard wood!

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
CX series is a sleeper!! Correct on the shells I do believe. Now anyone have a line for a CX 16” floor tom in the Royal Blue Onyx???

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
CX series is a sleeper!! Correct on the shells I do believe. Now anyone have a line for a CX 16” floor tom in the Royal Blue Onyx???
Now you're throwing memories at me as I specifically remember the Royal Blue Onyx! Seems like I should remember what the finish on mine was called. I'd setup a search alert on eBay if I were you as it seems like I saw some on there not that long ago.

I got mine new on eBay from a store in 2005ish(?) for $500 something. They were all over the place then. Made in Mexico a stone's throw from the DW factory and were likened to the equivalent of a Mexican Stratocaster. They're official name was "Pacific by DW". I really like the slightly squashed DW lug as opposed to the current PDP lug. I remember seeing them back then with a DW logo head. It definitely seems like DW tried to differentiate themselves when they went with PDP and changed the lugs. I guess that's why they came out with the Performance Series...