Pearl 1.6mm Fat Tone Hoops

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I just put a Pearl Fat Tone 1.6mm hoop on my 402 Supra (batter side) and WOW! I'm really liking it! Rimshots seem easier (weird, but true) and sound phenomenal. These really open up the drum, even though I was already using the Canon 1.8mm hoops. Granted, the Pearls are a bit pricey compared to the Canons, but they are very strong and "combine low-mass for incredible resonance with our exclusive hemmed and welded edge that adds amazing strength and rigidity at the point of contact for tremendous rim shots and cross sticking." I find that all to be true. I'm excited to use my 402 on a gig tomorrow and want to order the Fat Tone snare side hoop now. BTW, I use a coated Emperor tensioned at about an 87-88 on the Drum Dial, and currently 16-strand snares with a P-86 throw-off. Anyone else using these hoops?

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting! So it's actually a "vintage weight" hoop, but with a real solid rim on it? That could work. I found this video describing them from Pearl:

madsplash

Martin Van Nostrand
Reaction score
Interesting! So it's actually a "vintage weight" hoop, but with a real solid rim on it? That could work. I found this video describing them from Pearl:

Gene Okamoto is incredible. The "Hagi" of today, if you will.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Just got this info from Gene Okamoto at Pearl.

"Please see the attached photo. The “hemmed” and welded edge can be clearly seen. It looks like the edge of a die cast hoop."

Cool. Yes, it resembles a diecast hoop, but with a much more open sound. I used it on a gig over the weekend and was very pleased.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool to know those are available.

I have a couple of late 70's Slingerlands where the stick savers are almost straight up and down but with a fat top edge...very much like the profile shown above for these.

How expensive are they?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought about trying these when they came out - they look really cool. I think the overall weight of the hoops belie the 1.6mm thickness, though. If I had to guess, I'd bet they sound more like die-cast hoops than very thin, lightweight hoops.

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
I wish they had a few more size options as far as holes. I'd be willing to try them on a kit. I am somewhat reminded of Sticksavers for some reason. But no COB :( I loves me some COB hoops!!!

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Ludwig 10 Lug snare that these might just do the trick on This is a very dead snare with anything but thin heads on. These hoopes along with Ambadasor heads might make this baby sing. It came with a die cast Ludwig batter hoop which is for sale. Just send me a message.

Slawman :occasion5:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
resurrecting this from the dead...

I'm looking for something to replace a 70's Ludwig and I don't like or trust the newer thin hoops. So I was looking for reviews of the Fat Tone hoops.

The newer brass hoop are 2.5's, not what I like or want, but someone here might find them useful.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm using the Fat Tone hoops on my 1994 HSS Slingerland "Spirit of America" kit. They are beautifully made hoops! Ideal for toms! Honestly, though, very anemic rim shots and cross sticking sounds on the snare drum. Any standard 1.6mm hoop, such as original Ludwig or Rogers, gives better snare drum performance. You may experience different results, but this is what I heard. These hoops are about $34 each, so not cheap!

-Mark

Attachments

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm using the Fat Tone hoops on my 1994 HSS Slingerland "Spirit of America" kit. They are beautifully made hoops! Ideal for toms! Honestly, though, very anemic rim shots and cross sticking sounds on the snare drum. Any standard 1.6mm hoop, such as original Ludwig or Rogers, gives better snare drum performance. You may experience different results, but this is what I heard. These hoops are about $34 each, so not cheap!

-Mark
That’s strange, cause they’re reinforced at the top to give more meat. Like I mentioned, the new Chinese 1.6’s feel terrible, this seems like my only decent option.

skelt101

Reaction score

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was considering putting a set of 1.6mm hoops on my new Ludwig Club Dates, but haven't yet. What didn't you like about the new hoops? I was looking at these for my 13" and 16" toms: https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_7_311
They work just fine. But I’ve seen a lot of entry level kits in my time from all the companies, and the feel and finish on the new ones doesn’t compare to the older ones. The plating is cheaper, and on some of the older American hoops the flange where the stick hits for rim shots is wider. But that’s me geeking out

Latest posts