Pearl 1.6mm Fat Tone Hoops

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread. There are definitely certain drums that sound their best with lighter weight hoops, so it’s good to have an idea which ones are worth trying.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a 70's 400 a month or so ago with the thinner hoops (originals I'd guess) and can't believe how good this sounds. My black beauty has stayed home since then. The cross stick sounds like a wood block (when I get the stick just right that is)

Sorry Mo never tried the Pearl's, had considered them back when this was posted originally but never did.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, just when I've finished outfitting a seven-piece kit with diecast hoops, the trend is now swinging back to the 1.6mm hoops that the kit came with?

Just like me - always living behind the curve. Like, I just bought my first CD player, then I see I should have bought a new record player.

I don't know whether to keep up, or keep behind!

GeeDeeEmm

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d say Ludwig had it right with the 1.6 hoops.
They all did. Even Gretsch ( die cast of course). There's werent that many 10 lug snares until the 70's, so a lot of the older singles seem to be 8 lug..

What it look like is the new Pearl has a beaded top similar to a die cast hoop, and not a flat edge/flange. And, without trying the Pearl ( I know ) I think I like the older style better.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
After reading your post Jay it occurs that the 1.6 pearl may be the best of both worlds. I’d prolly give it a whirl for shts and grins and because Amy likes it :)

Gumbeat

Reaction score
I put a Pearl hoop on the batter side of my Gretsch USA Custom snare drum. It went from a boxy sounding drum to a great snare with just the right/equal amounts of control and openness. The rimshots and side-stick hits are still as solid as the original Gretsch die-cast. I am very happy with this combination.

ccooley

Reaction score
Just got this info from Gene Okamoto at Pearl.

"Please see the attached photo. The “hemmed” and welded edge can be clearly seen. It looks like the edge of a die cast hoop."

It appears that Pearl is making these for 14” 10 hole drums for batter side and snare side. They also make a 14” 8 hole batter side but not 14” 8 hole snare side - too bad. I think these would be great on 8 lug snares! If possible, could you please ask Gene if they are thinking of adding the 14” 8 lug snare side? Thanks!

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just took possession of a Japan-made limited edition Pearl Sensitone with the Fat Tone hoops and I'm a believer. The best cross stick sound of any drum I've ever played, especially fantastic for bossa nova.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, just when I've finished outfitting a seven-piece kit with diecast hoops, the trend is now swinging back to the 1.6mm hoops that the kit came with?

Just like me - always living behind the curve. Like, I just bought my first CD player, then I see I should have bought a new record player.

I don't know whether to keep up, or keep behind!

GeeDeeEmm
- Don't worry about trends. Do what works for you and the music you play.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
- Don't worry about trends. Do what works for you and the music you play.
I'm only joshing. I'm too darned old to worry about trends. Typically when there is a new trend I'm normally inclined to do just the opposite!

Latest posts