Pearl 1985-1988 GLX series...

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know anything about the Pearl GLX series? The insides of the maple 7.5mm shells are lacquered in the same color of the drums, and the lugs are 2 piece, allowing head changes without removing the entire tension rod. They are supposedly precursors to the Master series. Please see photos...

Attachments

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
If you go on the Pearl drum forum and ask a guy named Al Percival, he is the best source of Pearl knowledge I have run into. I picked up a 1993 Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX, 4 ply with re rings) last year and the guys on that forum were able to help answer all my questions.

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Yes!!! I spoke with Mr. Percival a few years back concerning another Pearl kit I had. Very knowledgeable man! Thank you for the advice... Anthony L.

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Is the kit beechwood? I had a set of Vox years ago, (late 70s) they sounded great. Beautiful kit!!!

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
only ever saw/played one kit in person 30 years ago. friend had a set... cool idea...didnt change my life

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
The GLX series are some of the finest drums of the era. I’ve gigged and recorded my kit for 30 years. The hardware was a bit of a gimmick, stolen from Meazzi. But the shells and the workmanship and the heavy interior finish makes for a great sound. Japanese drums at their finest.