Pearl 75th Anniversary

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps these Luan drums are made of a higher quality luan? I feel like if luan was undoubtedly a “cheap” wood Pearl wouldn’t be so proud to highlight it.
There is nothing inherently wrong with Luan. C&C uses it on their drums to create their sound and charges a premium price for it. Marketing has made us all lose touch with reality about woods.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well there's some reality

softwood edges- assuming luan is on the soft side of the jenka hardness scale- i don't know that for sure.. Edges over time will soften and fluff get soft dull flat sonically as well as visually)... quicker than a hard wood over time will

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh...

Snare looks nice but for the coin.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl 75th snare with Ringo, John Bonham, etc...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rest of the Story...

1:07 are the hand hammered Brass cymbals ( the old J's @TPC

can see "Whitehall" shipping boxes at 1:12 (full screen it this is a great video)

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the rest of the Story...
I noticed how they put the women on the more meticulous cosmetic aspects of production.. which is obviously no coincidence..

Very smart move IMO.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed how they put the women on the more meticulous cosmetic aspects of production.. which is obviously no coincidence..

Very smart move IMO.
Yeah , us fellas are nutn but slobs eh ?
“ sarcasm”

You realize that was kinda sexist don’tcha ?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being meticulous is gender specific ?
I don't know... YOu have to ask the Pearl organization who made that decision to put only women on that job... I mean... They did it for a reason... right??

Do you think the organization might of learned something after countless drums produced ??

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
First kit was a 1969 Pearl, they sounded fine (with good heads), and tuned up well. Not sure what the finish was called, but was like the blue ripple, except orange, sorta like a tiger stripe, looked very cool, and very robust too (the finish that is). Hardware was absolutely atrocious to the point of total unreliability (spurs and tom mount in particular) which is something they certainly upped their game with since, and thankfully on these reissues.
Quite like how faithfully they've recaptured the look.
Am sorta interested in the 20/12/14 shell pack as a kit for small gigs, depending on what the price point is at the bottom of the world. Also interested in the retro Gretsch Catalina club(?) with the yellow and blue swirl finishes, they look neat - can anyone here share their opinion as to sound and quality?

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score