Pearl BLX value and quality?

Rmgreg

Reaction score
This is listed as a BLX kit. Anyone have any idea what a set like this is worth? Includes pearl double pedal all hardware and cymbals. Any idea of age? From what I can find the BLX was a high end kit with Birch shells. It also has brand new EC2 heads.
00n0n_9Sc4ouMWfW2z_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg

Attachments

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
So the BLX is 6 ply Birch, no re-rings. Best place to look for accurate data on that kit is the Pearl Drummers Forum. I bought a 1993 Masters Studio Birch (4 ply with re-rings) 10/12/13/16/22 with matching 14x6.5 snare, 14" Zildjian New Beats, 17" Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash, 22" Sabiann AA ride, all hardware including double pedals and extra boom stand for $800 around 2 years ago. The higher end Pearl kits are great quality and sound amazing. I absolutely love mine and would recommend them to anyone looking for a pro level kit.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
So the BLX is 6 ply Birch, no re-rings. Best place to look for accurate data on that kit is the Pearl Drummers Forum. I bought a 1993 Masters Studio Birch (4 ply with re-rings) 10/12/13/16/22 with matching 14x6.5 snare, 14" Zildjian New Beats, 17" Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash, 22" Sabiann AA ride, all hardware including double pedals and extra boom stand for $800 around 2 years ago. The higher end Pearl kits are great quality and sound amazing. I absolutely love mine and would recommend them to anyone looking for a pro level kit.
So you think this set is only worth around $800 as well?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the MLX version same colour . Well made pro level kit . Edges very sharp . I couldn't get anything meaningful happening with the bass drum , but the toms and hardware were first class . I paid @ 600 back in 2004 ( 5?) second hand . They were 90's Pearls .

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I had the MLX version same colour . Well made pro level kit . Edges very sharp . I couldn't get anything meaningful happening with the bass drum , but the toms and hardware were first class . I paid @ 600 back in 2004 ( 5?) second hand . They were 90's Pearls .
The listing for everything pictured, cymbals, hardware pedals etc is $2k

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
So you think this set is only worth around $800 as well?
Depends on the condition of the shells. If they are in good shape I would say $800 is fair. From the pictures they look like the BLX that was made around 1984-92 (MBX, MMX took their place in 1993). They were the top of the line for Pearl at the time, so still a pro level drum even if they are a little older. For some reason, Pearl top end kits values don't stay up there with the likes of US brands or Yamaha, but they are still great drums.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the shells. If they are in good shape I would say $800 is fair. From the pictures they look like the BLX that was made around 1984-92 (MBX, MMX took their place in 1993). They were the top of the line for Pearl at the time, so still a pro level drum even if they are a little older. For some reason, Pearl top end kits values don't stay up there with the likes of US brands or Yamaha, but they are still great drums.
OK it comes with tons of stuff including cymbals, pedals, hardware and is listed at $2k. I was about to pull the trigger on a Tama Superstar exotix, but this may be a better kit.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a nice kit, but $2000 sounds really high, especially with those dated looking lugs. Throwing in the cymbals doesn't add much value to me because I didn't pick them out, and I would just have to sell them.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m surprised no one has mentioned that this era of Pearls with the long length die cast lugs had breakage problems. I believe they called them “high tension” lugs IIRC, which makes it ironic that the casings were known to break. When I was selling Pearl in a music store in the 90s, we had to order replacements for customers relatively often.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will not sell for anywhere near $2000. And it's surely at least an $800-$1000 kit. I don't see it over $1500 no matter what. Seller at $2000 will take months to figure out there's almost no market for these over $1200-$1400 level.
These kits are always slow sellers on CL and FB unless really reduced in price. For some reason they just don't get any love. But I've even been seeing 80's Tama Superstars and 80's Yamaha Tours/Tour Customs going pretty cheap at times.

A Custom cymbals $400 all day long on resale.....$450-$475 parted out. Hardware probably around $200+ if you parted it. Doesn't look like high end Pearl stuff - intermediate?

I typically look at BLX and DLX shells at $75-$125 each depending on quality....IF parted out. Beat up ones might only fetch $60 each. If real nice I could see that shell pack of 7 worth $500-$700.
With the entire kit there's a 25-40% deduction for the "bundle"....or either drums or cymbals are free. So if that's a $1400 kit parted out....figure $750-$1000 as a bundle. Getting a pro level kit in
nice condition with pro cymbals and good hardware for $800 is always a deal in my book. But sometimes you can snag one of these for $600-$700. On Ebay last year there was a blue BLX in my
region for bidding at local pickup only (NYCity region). It went for only $444....and it included A and Z Zildjian cymbals + full hardware too. It needed a good cleaning. I saw the new owner part it out on
Ebay over a few months for $1000+. Word to the wise....don't use a national auction to sell "local only." Just use CL and put a price on it. Your kit here looks a lot cleaner. And A Customs are always nice.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not listed at $800. It's listed a $2k with all cymbals, hardware and pedals. Everything pictured
I understood what you said originally and I stand by what I think it is all worth .

Rmgreg

Reaction score
That will not sell for anywhere near $2000. And it's surely at least an $800-$1000 kit. I don't see it over $1500 no matter what. Seller at $2000 will take months to figure out there's no market over $1200-$1400 level.
These kits are always slow sellers on CL and FB unless really reduced in price. For some reason they just don't get any love. But I've even been seeing 80's Tama Superstars and 80's Yamaha Tours/Tour Customs going pretty cheap at times.

A Custom cymbals $400 all day long on resale. hardware probably around $200+ if you parted it.

I typically look at BLX and DLX shells at $75-$125 each depending on quality....IF parted out. Beat up ones might only fetch $60 each. If real nice I could see that shell pack of 7 worth $500-$700.
With the entire kit there's a 25-40% deduction for the "bundle"....or either drums or cymbals are free. So if that's a $1400 kit parted out....figure $750-$1000 as a bundle. Getting a pro level kit in
nice condition with pro cymbals and good hardware for $800 is always a deal in my book. But sometimes you can snag one of these for $600-$700. On Ebay last year there was a blue BLX in my
region for bidding at local pickup only (NYCity region). It went for only $444....and it included A and Z Zildjian cymbals + full hardware too. It needed a good cleaning. I saw the new owner part it out on
Ebay over a few months for $1000+. Your kit here looks a lot cleaner. And A Customs are always nice.
Great info! Thx!

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have my 1987 Pearl BLX- Sequoia Red. Like the one in your pics, have 10,12,13,14,16 & 22- No snare. Except for the lugs ( which I changed out to 90's Export lugs, the build quality from Pearl Taiwan Factory is flawless. The sound of this kit is just TOO good to get rid of it and I still occasionally gig it out as well.

blx2.jpg
BLX new.jpg
BLX new.jpg

Rmgreg

Reaction score
What are "re-rings" ? Sorry not familiar.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are "re-rings" ? Sorry not familiar.
Re-rings is short for Reinforcing rings . They were originally put in drums at the top and bottom edges to keep the shells in round . Later they were installed in some drums for their sonic properties .

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Re-rings is short for Reinforcing rings . They were originally put in drums at the top and bottom edges to keep the shells in round . Later they were installed in some drums for their sonic properties .
Thx!