Pearl Decade Maple Bop Kit - Solid Yellow | Evans Hydraulics | Sound Test/Demo | 18/12/14/16

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Today’s video features a Pearl Decade Maple Bop kit in a "Solid Yellow" Lacquer.

For this demo, we put Evans Hydraulics on the tom batters and the clear Evans G1 heads on the resos.
On the bass drum batter, we put a Evans Emad.

This configuration is:
18 x 14 Bass Drum
12 x 8 Rack Tom
14 x 14 Floor Tom
16 x 16 Floor Tom

Features:
+6-ply All-Maple Shell
+45 Degree Bearing Edges
+UV-Cured Lacquer Finish

Snare: Pearl Masters Custom 6.5x14
Cymbals: 22” Istanbul Agop Special Edition Jazz Ride, 21" Istanbul Agop Signature Ride, 15” Meinl Dual Hats, DIY clap stack

Enjoy!

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jazz guys? this struck me more a hip hop demo application/ i think

2) wasn't aware Pearl Decade series even offered a 14X18 BD - good info to know..
aren’t these guys “mostly bop” not “mostly hip hop”; but I agree with you; has that bass n drum vibe

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where’s the tone, man??? Buried under a layer of film…not my taste at all, but I could see where a drummer of a certain genre could make it work.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
still instructional and can't won't fault mostly Bop drums efforts.
because he'll switch the heads and let us hear the Decades bop with standard heads
possibly sooner rather than later

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought it sounded pretty good. I'm not a jazz guy and I kinda get the reaction but that's not my angle. Not a fan of hydro heads but eh, life's a bowl of something or another.

Same kit I have now, wish I had that smaller bass, 20 maybe.

slcdrummer

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this!! Beautiful playing and I feel that it shows the versatility of these drums which I would have expected to sound boppier just from looking at them

Gordogarbo

Reaction score
Cymbals sound great, playing is great. But those Hydraulics make any drum sound bad.
I disagree, I think hydraulics and pin stripes sound really good on really crappy drums. When you have those super crappy beginner or kids sets, the hydraulics tame all the nasty weird overtones, and they make up for bad bearing edges a little bit as well. I don’t have any on my drums, but I think they have their place.. but the cymbals do sound great.

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
I disagree, I think hydraulics and pin stripes sound really good on really crappy drums. When you have those super crappy beginner or kids sets, the hydraulics tame all the nasty weird overtones, and they make up for bad bearing edges a little bit as well. I don’t have any on my drums, but I think they have their place.. but the cymbals do sound great.
That’s why I loved them as a beginner, slapped them on, everything sounded “nice” and never had to tune :)