header.nohb.html

Pearl Drums

BeatMeToIt

Reaction score
I own 2 Pearl kits, one from 1976 wood-fiberglass and a 2004 Pearl Master Custom MRX 6-ply Maple. Which have seen a lot of hours and I’ve never had one issue. Why the hate?
They offer great kits at affordable prices unless you’re getting the Masterworks line. My kit from 1976 holds up just as well as the modern kits today.
Every company has made a dud-kit every now and then, it’s just how it goes. It’s about picking an instrument that works for you. With proper tuning and heads you can get a low-end kit to sound good. And regarding Pearl taking ideas from other companies, please don’t look too closely at DW… *cough* Camco *cough*. I’ve owned free-floaters and they sounded great, I sold a CB-700 and a Maple FF and kinda regret doing so since they did sound pretty darn good.

Attachments

• E15685CD-1E75-4E26-8D0D-86FFFB7DF6E7.jpeg
    E15685CD-1E75-4E26-8D0D-86FFFB7DF6E7.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 6EBEC4BC-2C3F-4D78-A540-F13587FEC6D1.jpeg
    6EBEC4BC-2C3F-4D78-A540-F13587FEC6D1.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 28

BeatMeToIt

Reaction score
I see one of your kits has Black Dot heads for reso heads. Was that required to make the drums sound good? “Proper tuning and heads” means spending time and money, and having the skills to make the changes. Pearl can do better. I have a Pearl Decade kit that is “fixed.” I would not click the “recommend to a friend” option on it.
That was the required sound for a gig at the time. Spending the time to make your instrument sound the best it can is time never wasted.
Black dot resos isn’t anything new, it’s been around for a while. Tony Williams used that very often and so does Cindy Blackman (Santana, Lenny Kravitz). If you can’t tune a kit then don’t blame the gear. Steve Gadd played a suitcase with brushes and made it sound great, so again how is Pearl bad? Lol

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a great advertisement for Pearl then. Just keep on working on the tuning. Don’t blame the drums.

Edit: suitcases can sound better but our drums look better. You give such good reasons for supporting Pearl over other drums.

I prefer drums that easily sound good. After buying a Pearl, which I still own, I bought a different brand. That’s what counts.
“Pearl. The best reason to tune drums.”

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
That’s a great advertisement for Pearl then. Just keep on working on the tuning. Don’t blame the drums.

Edit: suitcases can sound better but our drums look better. You give such good reasons for supporting Pearl over other drums.

I prefer drums that easily sound good. After buying a Pearl, which I still own, I bought a different brand. That’s what counts.

But you're basing your opinion on a Pearl Decade kit?

Super_Freak

Reaction score
I paid less but go ahead and google the shell pack. The prices are pretty high. Not a “cheap” kit.

One Pearl fan tells me that we are supposed to work to fix the drums. I now prefer drums that sound good from the start.

My earlier statement is that “Pearl can do better.” I think so. I later bought a Pearl drum pedal but also bought a drum set of a different brand. That shows that Pearl is not in my preferred drum brand list. Pearl had their chance.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Decade is far from high-end...LOL

BeatMeToIt

Reaction score
I know it’s not high end.

Do you advocate “If you didn’t pay more than $3000, don’t expect them to sound very good”?

Better care during manufacturing is needed IMO. The materials can be the same.
So you don’t tune drums?
They just sound the way they sound?
I bet bandleaders and producers just love that approach.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own 2 Pearl kits, one from 1976 wood-fiberglass and a 2004 Pearl Master Custom MRX 6-ply Maple. Which have seen a lot of hours and I’ve never had one issue. Why the hate?
They offer great kits at affordable prices unless you’re getting the Masterworks line. My kit from 1976 holds up just as well as the modern kits today.
Every company has made a dud-kit every now and then, it’s just how it goes. It’s about picking an instrument that works for you. With proper tuning and heads you can get a low-end kit to sound good. And regarding Pearl taking ideas from other companies, please don’t look too closely at DW… *cough* Camco *cough*. I’ve owned free-floaters and they sounded great, I sold a CB-700 and a Maple FF and kinda regret doing so since they did sound pretty darn good.
DW didn’t steal the Camco lug , they bought the tooling and rights . Geez

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see one of your kits has Black Dot heads for reso heads. Was that required to make the drums sound good? “Proper tuning and heads” means spending time and money, and having the skills to make the changes. Pearl can do better. I have a Pearl Decade kit that is “fixed.” I would not click the “recommend to a friend” option on it.

Hey I just got these things ,, they sounded fantastic right out of the box!

8012DF77-7D8E-42A0-8AA5-35D3B5B15F37.jpeg

ADB4803D-2C3F-4B2E-9E0D-FF1406742447.jpeg

0B774850-1C55-452E-828B-230814221266.jpeg

AA078122-711C-417B-B5E3-4A712AC0701A.jpeg

10E6D043-62DA-47E9-959F-9CFA17397144.jpeg

635C8B97-24CC-4F90-BF6F-052E2520A81B.jpeg

…. Sounded even better after I tuned it :)

SKSMITH

Reaction score
My point is , they didn’t steal anything .
I think he missed the point about DW "BOUGHT" Camco and all of Camco's tooling and designs.

About Pearl, personally I think they make pretty decent drums, but my only experience is with the 80's offerings. The old US Maple MX kit that I refinished sounds great.
Granted, I put some nice Aquarian heads on them and took my time tuning them. The parallel action snare that I found is a year or so older, MIJ, and it sounds fabulous. I'm almost ready with my basement so I can set up all of my drums, these Pearl's included.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
The drum version of Toyota. Reasonably priced and dependable, but if possible, I’d still buy a Porsche.

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always been confused by their nomenclature. Tom mounts look like shower heads. Just not my thing. Many people love them though. To them I say, enjoy!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thinking about hardware, and I usually don't like negativity, I much prefer Pearl 80s feel, handling etc. over 70s/80s Sonor! Sonor has this great image of German-made Mercedes Benz-type quality, but the handling is far from elegant. Toothed tilters, clunky through-the shell mounting, over-engineered stands...I cut my hand more than once on those slotted t-rods. Pearl in contrast has always been a joy to set up, felt great.
I plan to bring my 80s mpale drums with me to compare before I buy another kit. Might save some money that way.

My hunch is that the name "Pearl" and Japan itself has negative connotations to some US Americans.