Pearl e-merge electronic kits coming soon

LauraCai

Reaction score
Wow ever since I bought my 1st Wavedrum, I thought how great it would be if they applied that technology to a drum set. If they did that here, and have good sounds, I will definitely buy it.

LauraCai

Reaction score
Rumor is only the snare drum will have Wavedrum technology. Unfortunate if true.

Howstamychi

Reaction score
Only on snare. Videos are disappointing. No midi in. Some of the articulations of the snare wave drum will not read as midi. Must use pads with kit, there is no using other pads or modules. They brag about the speed of the WTT snare yet the triggers on toms are still piezo and therefore you will still need to set scan time according to toms not snare to get a consistent triggering. Watch the videos. Cymbals don't move when you strike them. Snare sounds are unimpressive from videos I've seen. All samples are Pearl. Module looks cheap. Hardware looks solid. Hitting a rim shot on the far edge of the Tom=not happening.

oui

Last edited:

LauraCai

Reaction score
Yes, unless the recordings don’t do it justice, I am very disappointed in the sound of this thing. Definitely not replacing my Superior Drummer sounds. More on par with my 1st generation Vdrums, if that.

Howstamychi

Reaction score
Agreed 100%. The TD-30 sounds much better to me and that was king for 5 + years and still sells like mad on ebay and reverb on it's own and as a trigger system for Mimic. I just can't help feeling they aren't quite sure of what they are doing when it comes to e drums as wonderful as Pearl and Korg can be. Roland knows the game although there are some new rules, and Pearl and Slate hit a home run. ATV is great too. According to some Slate developers the hand sonic isn't really this magic thing. I have read it said about e/merge from some particularly brilliant developers on another forum:
"this tech is not about high fidelity drum sound reproduction...
It's a synth (not sampler)
Roughly - a few filters are fed by a signal from the drum membrane + some fx on top of that (controlled by a pressure sensor) plus a few samples mixed in on some patches
Thus - the brush sound - is a signal that is captured from the drum pad membrane played by brush.
Does it sounds like some drum played with brushes - sure!
Does it sound like a ludwig black beauty played with brushes and recorded in some top sounding studio with a top gear? - no.

It's kind of yamaha dx7 synthesized piano vs sampled real piano."

It's just underwhelming from everything I've seen, heard and read by intelligent developers and forum members. Only e/merge advertising hype gives it any creedo says Greedo.