Pearl Fiberglass bass drum

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Putting out a feeler for a player-grade drum.

Not interested in wood-fiberglass, just the old yellowish all fiberglass.

Located in upstate NY.

fibes3

Reaction score
Putting out a feeler for a player-grade drum.

Not interested in wood-fiberglass, just the old yellowish all fiberglass.

Located in upstate NY.
Aaron,
I often see Fibes bass drums on Ebay and Reverb more than Pearl fiberglass. If that's an option.

Cheers!
Dave

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Dave. Believe it or not, for once I'm looking for something that will MATCH, haha!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aaron I found your Bass drum... not too far from me. Says it needs a spur and some lugs and rods, but they should not be hard at all to track down. Seller wants $60.

00d0d_adnQkHklrHo_600x450.jpg
00g0g_4zL02Ye96BH_600x450.jpg
00p0p_cgoow3eOPPl_600x450.jpg
00v0v_lQZnmAiwBCg_600x450.jpg

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK Aaron, I'm on my way to get it for ya! We'll discuss a time to get it to you in Newburgh later.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK, I'm back! The shell is in really fine shape! I don't know if you have plans of stripping off the white wrap but it's very tight. I was bummed to see where a cigarette or two ended up on top of it... otherwise, very good condition! I didn't know it, but it is a 10 lugger - 20 in all. All the lugs are present but 10 of them will need new lug inserts. There are 9 T-rods present so you will have to hunt down 11 more, that is if you're staying stock. Both spurs and mounts are kapoot. The tom mount has the inner plate and is missing hardware as well. It also came with 2 very heavy steel hoops that can possibly be primed painted and salvaged. I recall Tommy Wells had nothing but good things to say about the Pearl fiberglass shells, he even preferred the stock steel hoops. He said no chance of a bass going out of tune with metal hoops! I'll talk to you later about delivery to Newburgh, Me and Cindy were headed that way this Sunday.

IMG_20190326_190542555.jpg
IMG_20190326_190643305.jpg

Last edited:

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Wow, Andrew, so psyched and so grateful! :))

I'm going to start looking around for parts, so if anyone has stuff handy, lemme know! For spurs, I'll gladly take either old ones like these or the Pearl master/session style (with the black bit on the side), as either fits these holes.

Not worried about finish: don't know quite what this will be yet, but I do know it won't be white. The rest of my kit is black (6/8/10/12/14/16 concert toms) and silver (18 double headed), so I'm up in the air between a) rewrapping the 18 and this drum in black, b) stripping them all to the cool translucent fiberglass, or c) rewrapping them all in something very different. The black is a tape rewrap that's falling off the kit already, so I'm leaning towards option b) right now.

Tommy was a reason I started getting into these drums, and I really love them. They sound great and are incredibly practical. This'll be my second synthetic Pearl kit, and my first fiberglass. My first set were a slightly earlier (probably 1972) set of Pearl Presidents in phenolic, born together as a 13/16/22. The phenolics have dark, reddish-black shells, weigh a ton, and also sound great. They're very "centered" but very resonant. I played that kit all over north America for a few years, then sold it to a friend (I have find, and want them back as soon as I have space! :) ). Loved them.

The fiberglass shells seem a little more lively, a little airier.

Even though the shells are similar thickness, I'd describe the fiberglass drums as "feeling" more like a thin-shelled kit, where the phenolics felt thicker. Both are very Gretsch-y.

And yep, I'm totally onboard with the metal bass drum hoops. My phenolic kick sounded great with them, they're practical for the road (and doorways, ouch!), and yep, you don't realize how stress-free it is to have a drum with zero wood until you have a drum with zero wood!

Cheers again, Andrew .Looking forward to this kick, and looking forward to getting to work on your bongos. :)

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Option b all the way! Backlit they'll look killer. They'll have that cool Joey Waronker vibe happening! I was surprised to see that they have a bit of give to the shell. My Blaemires are like steel... Even saw photos of a person standing on a Blaemire shell. Wouldn't do that with a Pearl FG shell! Happy to help a DFO brother! Text me your address and we'll see you Sunday.

Last edited:

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Wow... thanks so much!

Had a lovely cup of coffee with Drew and his wife. We couldn't help but start to pull the wrap off of the bass drum in between cars. :)

The kit will be a really fun one. After comparing a few shells (I have the wrapped off of the bass and have couple of toms stripped bare and clean now) I think I'll be giving them all one or two coats of wax or satin waterbased poly: think they'll look more consistent, drum to drum, with a very soft film.

Mods, you can close this thread up or we can let it drift on down the page... success. :)

Latest posts