Pearl Ian Paice signature snare

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta say, I'm digging what I hear. Maybe 'cos it sounds similar to a Supra, but has it's own thing going. Fat and punchy or cracking, popping and tough. And I can't afford the DW bronze which would be my first choice. :blackeye: A deeper Sensitone with a muffler and an "outie" bead and stop locks on the tension rods. Cool!

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are a couple other threads going on about snares right now. I have to agree: this is one of those underrated, overlooked gems. I had one, wish I hadn't sold it......

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you can live without the muffler and tube lugs, The 6.5" Steel Sensitone Elite is the same drum...for a bit less cheese. I have one, and it's my favorite rock snare I own. $170 to my door, brand new.

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
The tension rod locks are the nicest feature on the Paice Sig. Although it takes a little more effort to change the tuning it does hold the tuning longer.

The oversized muffler adjustment knob is a thing of aesthetic beauty to me. Even though I don't mess with it very often.

I use mine at the rehearsal space, we're still in need of some sound treatment there and this drum keeps the guitar boys from complaining.

It really is a great, good looking all around drum for the money. I lucked out when I got mine, found it used at GC and it was a mess (coffee I believe). Got it for $99.00 in 2006.

If you're patient these things pop up used on Ebay every once in a while cheap.

Scott

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can live without the muffler and tube lugs, The 6.5" Steel Sensitone Elite is the same drum...for a bit less cheese. I have one, and it's my favorite rock snare I own. $170 to my door, brand new.
That's sort of a tough call. I really like the tube lugs, muffler and the idea of stop locks (although maybe not so much in use) but I know that stuff isn't worth another $160. The badge is actually kind of cool, too. Another plus is that it should be a collectible. hmm...

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
That's sort of a tough call. I really like the tube lugs, muffler and the idea of stop locks (although maybe not so much in use) but I know that stuff isn't worth another $160. The badge is actually kind of cool, too. Another plus is that it should be a collectible. hmm...
The badge is actually made of plastic, which kinda takes something away for me. Most of the Signature drums that Pearl has put out in the last decade have the same plastic badge with the endorsee's name inscribed. Still a very nice drum though...

Scott

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The badge is actually made of plastic, which kinda takes something away for me. Most of the Signature drums that Pearl has put out in the last decade have the same plastic badge with the endorsee's name inscribed. Still a very nice drum though...

Scott
A plastic badge? That is a bit cheap and dinky to me, too. I never checked my Omar Hakim badge...

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to correct my last on the plastic badge...

I just took a magnet and it had an attraction to the badge on my Steve Ferrone Sig. which has a brass shell. Next time I go to my rehearsal space I'll try it on the Paice snare, my guess is it will be the same.

I've owned these for years especially the Ferrone and always thought it was plastic till today. Sorry for the confusion.

Scott

nmrk91

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for one now!!!