Pearl Ltd Edition snares

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to grab this Chinese Ltd Pearl snare for $60 locally. I’ve briefly handled one of these in the past, and the build quality and hardware seemed fairly solid. Anyone have experience gigging on these and/or can attest to sound quality and tune-ability? I’m thinking of adding it to the herd as a good player voice or as a gig back-up at least. Also, Kapur seems to have gained some attention as a good tone wood for drums. I’ve also wondered if these would end up being sleepers that would garner more attention down the road, kinda like the Acro did, although maybe not on that level :)

Thanks in advance - hope you’re all having a great week!

Attachments

thejohnlec

Reaction score
IMHO...nothing special or collectible about those. Personally I would pass and spend twice that for a good Acro.
Thanks man - I have a good collection of snares, including a solid Acro. Just curious what kind of tone this might bring for the price.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I had one some years back that I bought for $25 with my GC employee discount and it was a solid good sounding snare for gigs and jams.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I used Coated Ambassador over Ambassador Hazy. Tuned the bottom pretty tight and the top midrange and it sounded nice. I eventually donated it to a younger drummer.
Thanks - do you happen to know if these snares were all Kapur or were there any other woods in the plies?

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Thanks - do you happen to know if these snares were all Kapur or were there any other woods in the plies?
I actually think the one you have there is the Limited Edition birch snare. They came in that finish and in all black. I don’t believe the kapur ones come in that finish.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to grab this Chinese Ltd Pearl snare for $60 locally. I’ve briefly handled one of these in the past, and the build quality and hardware seemed fairly solid. Anyone have experience gigging on these and/or can attest to sound quality and tune-ability? I’m thinking of adding it to the herd as a good player voice or as a gig back-up at least. Also, Kapur seems to have gained some attention as a good tone wood for drums. I’ve also wondered if these would end up being sleepers that would garner more attention down the road, kinda like the Acro did, although maybe not on that level :)

Thanks in advance - hope you’re all having a great week!
For $60, who cares!
As long as it tunes up and there's no major injuries to it, GET IT!
That's an excellent deal!

Elvis

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Quick update on this topic: I used this snare on a gig last weekend as well as at a show earlier tonight. As mentioned above, it is a birch shell. I put an Evans Reverse Dot on top and a 300 on the bottom with the original snares. I tried tuning both heads high tonight with a medium tension on the snares, and this thing turned into a gunshot. Sensitive on the buzz rolls and ghosts, great attack with just a hair of depth and sustain, and a blinding rim shot. Definitely a keeper, especially at $60. May strip and refinish it and try diecast rims at some point for a fun project, but I'm really pleased at the tone and playability!