Pearl Masters Maple and Gum Series with a 6 ply shell, Die Cast Hoops, 60 Degree edges

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw an ad over the weekend for a new version of Pearl Masters Series drums that have a Maple and Gum 6 ply shell, Die Cast Hoops, and 60 Degree edges. I wonder how they came up with that idea :)
a piece kit is listed on Musicians Friend for $3399 for a 22, 10, 12, 16. No snare is available. Optimount mounting system for the rack toms.

I have owned multiple Pearl kits and still have one, plus some orphan drums. I really liked the BRX masters kit that I had. The 6 ply maple Masters was "cold" to my ears so I sold it. Most of their kits primarily sport 45 degree edges and lacquered interiors on their higher end drums, at least.

I have a few Gretsch kits - 60's Progressive Jazz kit, 80's Square badge, and a 2007 Renown that just sounds great.

I don't understand Pearl's pricing theory on putting out a Gretsch clone (assumption on my part) that is higher priced than the one they are copying.

J

jaymandude

For their endorsers who keep
saying “ Can you make it sound like a Gretsch drum?”

And pearl replies. “ There mf ers. Are you happy now? Can you stop bugging us about us and just use it in the studio ?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Chad Cromwell (Craviotto, CSN) is on the cover of the cascio catalg with the "New" Pearl Gum maple.
They can ask more maybe because their customer base is more willing to part with their dollars ( for something "new")

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's based on their Masterworks Sonic Select Studio shell configuration, so I guess the high price is a reflection of that (much like the Reference series is an offshoot of the Masterworks program). Personally, if I was gonna spend that much on a Pearl kit I'd go ahead and spring for the full Masterworks treatment and get it spec'ed exactly how I want.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For their endorsers who keep
saying “ Can you make it sound like a Gretsch drum?”

And pearl replies. “ There mf ers. Are you happy now? Can you stop bugging us about us and just use it in the studio ?
Ding ding we may have a winner. I recall years ago when Chad Smith was a Pearl Endorser that there was a video floating around with him talking about using some old Gretsch drums on one of their top selling albums. Pearl was not happy.

Lars Ulrich has said something similar in the past. I assume Tama was not happy about some studio pictures of Lars showing Gretsch drums.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw an ad over the weekend for a new version of Pearl Masters Series drums that have a Maple and Gum 6 ply shell, Die Cast Hoops, and 60 Degree edges. I wonder how they came up with that idea :)
a piece kit is listed on Musicians Friend for $3399 for a 22, 10, 12, 16. No snare is available. Optimount mounting system for the rack toms.

I have owned multiple Pearl kits and still have one, plus some orphan drums. I really liked the BRX masters kit that I had. The 6 ply maple Masters was "cold" to my ears so I sold it. Most of their kits primarily sport 45 degree edges and lacquered interiors on their higher end drums, at least.

I have a few Gretsch kits - 60's Progressive Jazz kit, 80's Square badge, and a 2007 Renown that just sounds great.

I don't understand Pearl's pricing theory on putting out a Gretsch clone (assumption on my part) that is higher priced than the one they are copying.
The Pearl is still a bit less than a Gretsch USA shell pack on Sweetwater. Why do it? Because they can. DW makes a maple gum line as well. Look at the Gretsch artist roster today vs 25 years back. Gretsch has gained some serious traction.

J

jaymandude

Chad Cromwell (Craviotto, CSN) is on the cover of the cascio catalg with the "New" Pearl Gum maple.
They can ask more maybe because their customer base is more willing to part with their dollars ( for something "new")
I don’t know Chad Cromwell personally. He’s on one record I really love, it’s Mark Knofler and Emmykou Harris “ All The Roadrunning “. And I’ve seen him once with Joe Walsh ( I really preferred Joe Vitale).

But for a guy to go from endorsing Craviotto to Pearl ? I don’t know man, something’s strange about that.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know Chad Cromwell personally. He’s on one record I really love, it’s Mark Knofler and Emmykou Harris “ All The Roadrunning “. And I’ve seen him once with Joe Walsh ( I really preferred Joe Vitale).

But for a guy to go from endorsing Craviotto to Pearl ? I don’t know man, something’s strange about that.
I'm of the opinion that when a switch happens, it's usually a "bigger picture" matter. Maybe it's a question of getting support out on the road? I have no firsthand knowledge, but I've known of people who needed drumsets for clinics and were not provided good ones, thus changes were made.

Dan

J

jaymandude

I'm of the opinion that when a switch happens, it's usually a "bigger picture" matter. Maybe it's a question of getting support out on the road? I have no firsthand knowledge, but I've known of people who needed drumsets for clinics and were not provided good ones, thus changes were made.

Dan
Yeah. It’s why everyone who plays hip sheeet ( Todd Sucherman and his vintage Sonors for example ) switches to Pearl. And that Nashville guy from Toto who is a Brady guy.

We’ve discussed this. That’s why I like Aaron Sterling so much