Pearl Masters MHX Mahogany Classic Limited Edition drum find - UPDATES!

fivestarkid

Reaction score
hey guys. i bought a 12/16" then a 4 pc set to come up w all of this in one day. it was one of my greatest picks off all time..lol. i have to do the heads over. going all new. suggestions for these mahogany shells? my first choice so far is coasted/clear ambassadors over clear ambassadors or the evans equal g1 over g1, thoughts? and any other info on these would be cool. are these considered masters series as the bass drum has the original heads? both marked masters? production year? quanities produced? value?.... etc. thanks to all............

**** YES. i am running (2) 12" toms. the first tom is a 9x12 the second is 10x12 and it just works with tuning. not sure how long i will keep this double 12 tom thing, but when it ends i will list one of them. i think. lol. hard to get rid of these as they are hard to come by.

1st find.......12" and 16"
2nd find......10, 12, 14, 22"
3rd find.......5.5x14 snare drum. all happened within a week as they were all close. ive wanted this kit for years. never a good opportunity until now.
UPDATE.....i ended up going Aquarian classic clear over ambassador clear. Aquarians are so clear they showcase the beautiful shells! The wood grain is to die for and oh yeah, the sound too..lol....WOW! amazing drums!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!
One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE drumkits I've ever owned!
... and I really don't like Pearl.
Seriously.
That ... is the first run of the BEST kit Pearl EVER produced. Masters Custom African Mahogany Limited Edition ... even the name gives me chills.
Those are very thin African Mahogany shells. Ridiculously warm deep resonant toms.
I kid you not. Those drums will handle absolutely anything you throw at them. Tune them tight, loose, medium ... doesn't matter.
They are so rich texturally.
You are one seriously blessed individual.
THAT is the only kit I miss. The only one.
Thin coated heads is what I ran. I've got plenty of recordings of that kit. I think I've even got a live show. They sang. So beautiful.
Enjoy that kit.
If you EVER go to part with it ... please tap me first.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I remember playing on one of those at Forks. Seriously one of the best sounding kits ever.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tapped on a used one at Sam Ash. Warmth for days. You're going to be so pleased. A grand slam(for you and Pearl).

Dan

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I, too, am in the "not a Pearl fan" (mostly), but I am fanatical about these drums. I heard them played in a music store years ago - just astounding!! They speak so clearly.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a kit like that off the showroom floor in Edison NJ one day years ago. Shoulda kept it

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a find!!! Way to go , enjoy those for years! I have always liked coated, medium weight heads on Mahogany shells as I thought they gave me more tuning range. The heaver, two ply heads combined with the warmth of the shell and pushed everything to far in one direction, but you will experiment and find the right choice for your taste. Again, congratulations on the new additions!

fivestarkid

Reaction score
What a find!!! Way to go , enjoy those for years! I have always liked coated, medium weight heads on Mahogany shells as I thought they gave me more tuning range. The heaver, two ply heads combined with the warmth of the shell and pushed everything to far in one direction, but you will experiment and find the right choice for your taste. Again, congratulations on the new additions!
i just posted pics of the kit set up! thanks for kind words. love these drums!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kit looks great set up in those pics. Man, that is an unreal find. I was serious ... one of my all-time favorite kits. Unbelievable sounding kit. Make sure you comment a bit here after you sit in with it a bit.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is just a stunning set!! So proud for you that it all came together... I see years of joy ahead playing that rig for sure!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Wow! That is a BEAUTIFUL set, and I can only imagine how it sounds! I do happen to be a Pearl fan though. My big 1980 G-Series Maple shells have had my heart since the day I found them. I hope you love those just as much as I love mine! I'll still own these the day I die.

IMG_20201012_223907.jpg

little rock

Reaction score
Wow! That is a BEAUTIFUL set, and I can only imagine how it sounds! I do happen to be a Pearl fan though. My big 1980 G-Series Maple shells have had my heart since the day I found them. I hope you love those just as much as I love mine! I'll still own these the day I die.

View attachment 476378
I have a monster double bass set just like yours that I put together using two sets. The color matched perfectly. 8,10,12,13,14,15,16,18 toms 22,24 bass and 5.5 and 6.5. Beautiful mint condition. Always wanted a set of the mahogany ones, but never pulled the trigger.