Pearl Masters MHX Mahogany Classic Limited Edition drum find - UPDATES!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I have a monster double bass set just like yours that I put together using two sets. The color matched perfectly. 8,10,12,13,14,15,16,18 toms 22,24 bass and 5.5 and 6.5. Beautiful mint condition. Always wanted a set of the mahogany ones, but never pulled the trigger.
Wow! That's quite a kit!

I've been on the lookout for a 6.5" Maple shell snare in the matching Walnut lacquer ever since I got this kit... I really can't complain about the 6.5" COB Jupiter it came with though. It's a killer sounding snare!

IMG_20190331_124833(1).jpg

little rock

Reaction score
Wow! That's quite a kit!

I've been on the lookout for a 6.5" Maple shell snare in the matching Walnut lacquer ever since I got this kit... I really can't complain about the 6.5" COB Jupiter it came with though. It's a killer sounding snare!

View attachment 476736
Oh, I thought yours were the Rosewood Earthtone, I didn't know they were walnut. I bought the initial kit 22,12,13,16 and ordered the 8&10, then went to buy the rest at a local music store and they had been sold to a female drummer. I looked for them for around 5 or 6 years . Finally found them. She sold them to me as she wanted to buy a plane ticket to go see her boyfriend in Sweden. Bought first set in "82 and rest in '86 or '87. Still like new.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Oh, I thought yours were the Rosewood Earthtone, I didn't know they were walnut. I bought the initial kit 22,12,13,16 and ordered the 8&10, then went to buy the rest at a local music store and they had been sold to a female drummer. I looked for them for around 5 or 6 years . Finally found them. She sold them to me as she wanted to buy a plane ticket to go see her boyfriend in Sweden. Bought first set in "82 and rest in '86 or '87. Still like new.
I love hearing stories like that! It's amazing that you were able to track them down AND buy them! I'd love to see some pics of them. In my opinion there are some real hidden gems from Pearl that rarely get any attention on this forum.

With them being a decade older than I am, I often wonder about the history of my own drums. I found them in a New Orleans pawn shop back in April of 2018. While they do have a few small nics and scratches (to be expected on a 40 year old kit), it seems that they were very well taken care of overall. Almost everything is entirely original, and there's no UV damage, or laquer checking anywhere on any of the drums.

Mine are the G-Series shells which are the same 8 ply Maple shells as the ET-Series, but with a smooth hand polished, high gloss laquer finish instead of the Earthtone's raised grain, and more matte like finish. I believe both the ET and G-Series shells were available in Walnut, Rosewood, and Natural Maple laquer finishes.

Mine are the high gloss Walnut lacquer. You can see the gloss much better in this picture. This was the day I found them in the pawn shop.

IMG_20191018_002200.jpg

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I'd love to see some more pics of the OP's new MHX kit too! The color contrast, and beautiful grain structure on the interior of those shells looks just as amazingly beautiful as the finish on the outside! Judging by all of the other posts here, I would say they're definitely on that list of Pearl's hidden gems!

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a "shell bank" of these that I put together over about 3 years:

8,10,12,13,14,15,16 toms

18,20,22x16,22x18

Not playing much these days, but can't bear to part with them. I know I won't ever be able to put another one together!

View attachment 472768
Chris, John Anning here. We have talked about these drums a lot. I took a tour of the Pearl facility in Nashville and I played a bunch of drums in the sound room, and they were all really good, but I was feeling kind of jaded. Then I played these african mahogany drums, and they instantly imprinted on me. I didn't buy them, and never found a kit, so live vicariously through you.:) You gotta keep them, you are young. I quit playing for 8 years but it just bubbles up - I bet you will be playing a lot a again at some point.

little rock

Reaction score
I, too have a 6.5" Jupiter snare that I bought from Bernie Stone, the Slingerland guy on here, when he worked for Midwest Percussion in Ft. Wayne. Played it for a long time when I was a rock-n-roller. Those are some hidden gems, brass shell and I put a set of Super Hoops on mine. The heaviest snare drum I have ever seen.