Pearl Midtown Kit Detuning

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After reading many reviews and listening to several of the Micro- Kits out here- I chose the Pearl Midtown. The build quality is excellent for the price point, a lot better than the Ludwig Breakbeats that my buddy has.....But every drum in this kit is constantly detuning. Using Clear Emperors over Ambassadors. Bought this kit during the height of Covid for small gigs and gig it quite a bit. I use Hot Rods 80% of the time with this kit. I tried using the Tama TTL-10 Plastic Lug Locks, but they fall off sometimes and I find them on the floor or inside the case. I am sure I can go with plumbers white teflon tape or Blue Loctite, but I don't think that is the answer. Please let me know what works.....

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you tuning super low? Like just past wrinkled?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a midtown kit.... no issues, but I like to tune frequently on all drums I own so I am always checking and tweaking.

Hard to believe the t-rods are actually MOVING/BACKING OUT (as opposed to heads settling/stretching) if you are using brushes or rods (unless you tune really low, play really hard and are smacking the rims a lot).

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a midtown kit.... no issues, but I like to tune frequently on all drums I own so I am always checking and tweaking.

Hard to believe the t-rods are actually MOVING/BACKING OUT (as opposed to heads settling/stretching) if you are using brushes or rods (unless you tune really low, play really hard and are smacking the rims a lot).
I tune frequently, play with rods, medium to high tuning on toms & snare, not a hard hitter, not a light hitter either.....they have soft cases, they get in and out of the car a few times a week. Live in Florida- maybe heat to cold....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
rod, serrated, flat washer.. see what happens
think that's how I had it on premier 2000 snare back n 70s never budged after that

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used serrated washers for over 50 years. I've even added a second nut at the lug at times. Fully threaded stainless Allen bolts with another nut sandwiching the rim from underneath worked on our parade drums back in high school.