Pearl MLX 80s 90s

petereather

Reaction score
OK I posted a while ago looking for gigging bar kit to replace my Sonor Tear drop , Narrowed my search to Pearl MLX or Masters maple Lost out on a Masters complete set cymbals dbl pedal everything cases $1100. Found MLX Mint condition 5 piece $850 . ? Who is a Pearl fan need advice . Thanks Pete

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok , The long lug drums are the ones to stay away from?
I don't know about sound, but they definitely look dated. A lot of the manufacturers at the time were selling the full length "high tension" lugs. Nobody wants those now, and they are usually in power tom sizes that are also undesirable. I really dislike long lugs and power toms.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Pearl MLX drums a while back. They were beautiful drums but the inside of the shells were finished with a thick high gloss clear lacquer. To my ears it worked against the natural warmth of a quality maple shell and made the drums high pitched and hard sounding. Changing to 2 ply heads made the toms sound even “boing-ier”. This is just my opinion though.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 1989 Pearl MLX Bop Kit (with Opti-mounts and Session series small lugs) - 10,12,14,20....and that's a 14x20"......There's a reason why Dennis Chambers and Jeff Porcaro loved these drums and I agree....Sweetness, projection and definition. Have gigged these on many gigs.

MLX1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my kits is an early 1980s MLX in black lacquer inside and out, no stretch lugs. It is a workhorse kit that I’ve had for a very long time. It’s been all over the country and overseas, and has held up incredibly well - still sounds and looks great.

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Badges center.jpg
badges forward lft side.jpg
both kits badges forward.jpg

Here is a pic of my MBX all cleaned up after purchase. I have since added another crash and a Roc N Soc throne (and a 1968 Acrolite). Love the sound of this baby.

petereather

Reaction score
Thanks' waiting for more pics he also has a older Pearl 6 price per dates the long lug Pearl 50year drum veteran lots of stuff .

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
About two years ago I found an early 80s 6ply standard size tom/bass set, rosewood stain, and they have become one of my favorite kits. They might be lacquered slightly on the inside, but they don't sound pingy or boingy to my ear, just warm and balanced. I did swap the hoops for die-cast though (took them off another kit I already had) and use coated Ambassadors on all batters and tom resos.
The equivalent to these, with die-cast hoops, would probably be a lacquered MRX or MCX in standard sizes, not sure there are many.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 piece at $850 seems on the high side, even if mint. For some reason I often see these languishing for 6-12 months when priced around the $700-$1000 range. Seen decent 5 or 6 pc shell packs at $500-$650.
There will always be another if the current one is not priced to sell. If superbly mint.....that's another story. With enough time you'll find with with hardware and cymbals for $800-$1000.