Pearl Modern Utility Snare

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever played one of these? They are cheap and wondering if they are worth it. I was debating a 14x8 or the 14x10 floor snare. Curious on any feedback on their quality for the price.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever played one of these? They are cheap and wondering if they are worth it. I was debating a 14x8 or the 14x10 floor snare. Curious on any feedback on their quality for the price.
Don't have any personal experience... but I know it's a fairly thin shell... ........ Do you like thin or thicker shells for snares??

Here is a quick demo :

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never played one, but those who have on this and other forums are impressed with them. Pearl snares are generally (literally) a good bang for the buck.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern Utility's are great, well made snares. They are inexpensive but not cheap if that makes sense. I had the 6.5 x 14 for awhile and I literally A/B'd it with a Ludwig Classic Maple and had my friend (drum manager at store) turn his back and listen...barely a noticeable difference. I let it go for a trade in deal but not because it wasn't a good snare. Definitely recommend them, probably some good Black Friday deals out there.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I owned a 6.5 one.
Great snare,articulate,punchy
Fit and finish was great.
Used it for local jam.
Heard it out front, definitely worth the bucks!

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't have any personal experience... but I know it's a fairly thin shell... ........ Do you like thin or thicker shells for snares??

Here is a quick demo :

Never really put much thought into shell thickness. I have a modern classic maple 7 ply and I'm looking for a left side floor tom/deep snare. The deepest wooden snare I currently own is a new Ludwig Jazzfest 5.5 mahogany.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know TJ Hartmann really loves his modern utility drums -- can get a good idea of the sounds on his Instagram:

I agree with Freewill3's post above that they're "inexpensive, but not cheap". Like the Pearl Sensitones (and Chad Smith sig before that), they're really nice drums that can be had for not a lot of $$

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know TJ Hartmann really loves his modern utility drums -- can get a good idea of the sounds on his Instagram:

I agree with Freewill3's post above that they're "inexpensive, but not cheap". Like the Pearl Sensitones (and Chad Smith sig before that), they're really nice drums that can be had for not a lot of $$
yeah, looks like his is a converted 80's Pearl marching snare. I'm curious how the Pearl Modern Utility Floor Snare compares to the Tama SLP Duo snare. The Tama is birch and the Pearl is maple so the Pearl more than likely blends with my kit better.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah, looks like his is a converted 80's Pearl marching snare. I'm curious how the Pearl Modern Utility Floor Snare compares to the Tama SLP Duo snare. The Tama is birch and the Pearl is maple so the Pearl more than likely blends with my kit better.
Sorry -- he doesn't have the floor snare, but he's got several Modern Utility snares that he uses a ton.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes - very nice snares. Sounded great out of the box. I upgraded the stock head with an Aquarian Modern Vintage. I had a pair of die cast rims laying around so threw those on along with some 42 strand wires and it was an easy Gretsch clone.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes - very nice snares. Sounded great out of the box. I upgraded the stock head with an Aquarian Modern Vintage. I had a pair of die cast rims laying around so threw those on along with some 42 strand wires and it was an easy Gretsch clone.
I'm thinking some small upgrades would definitely make them a bit better. The single video review I saw on the floor snare mentioned it detuned easily but I think part of it was the fact they were tuning it to slightly above a 16" floor tom. I would think some upgrades on the rims and tension rods would help with that. I think the specs on them do list some very thin 1.6 mm hoops.