Pearl Music City Custom solid shell snares who makes the shells ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey forummites
Anyone know who is making the steambent shells for Pearl’s Music City Custom snare drums ? They are supposedly made in the United States .

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have now heard different things about where these shells come from . Some people have told me Craviotto and some people have told me they are being made in house on Nashville using newly purchased steam bending equipment

pgm554

Reaction score
For some reason or other Vaughncraft comes to mind.

pgm554

Reaction score
Just visited the page a few minutes ago.

mesazoo

Reaction score
Just visited the page a few minutes ago.
Different company though same area Vaughncraft was run by John Rose. Who knows there may be some crossed history.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Pretty sure Pearl makes them themselves. I know they have the ability to. I have a solid shell Philharmonic that I've had for 15 years at least and was told by a Pearl rep they did them in house. I also know for sure that Craviotto is NOT doing them.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Has anyone actually played one or does anyone actually own one? These drums have me intrigued, for sure...they are competing with the Tama Solid Star Series, which are absolutely fabulous drums. I just wonder how many drummers will bite on one of these Pearl Solids. The look beautiful and I really love the concept behind them and the different inlays.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting comment in the video about solid shell snares not staying in tune. I've not found this to be the case with my Craviotto.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, I really liked the Ash & Walnut drums. Seems like the resonance & sustain is naturally more controlled with those two woods.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting comment in the video about solid shell snares not staying in tune. I've not found this to be the case with my Craviotto.
Mine go up and down all the time based on the weather....still in tune, but the pitch can change drastically.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had Nashville Slingerland RKs that held their tuning all year long; same for a George Way Advance. But, I once had both a Tama Star Maple and a Star Mahogany, and they were both all over the place on any given day. Drove me crazy. Sometimes they'd go down super low, other times tight as a timbale. I ended up selling both purely for that reason. Great drums otherwise.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ron Vaughn was (I believe) the founder of Vaughncraft, but split off at some point. I want to say sometime around 2004-ish?
When Vaughncraft shells were awesome. When the company was sold, some really poor quality products were leaving their doors. Not sure if they ever rectified this, but I would never be the one to try and find out.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, check me if I'm wrong here...but towards the head of the video, Shane addresses the de-tuning problem and says that is because the wood wants to get back into its original straight configuration. Stands to reason. But from what he says about these, they hardly de-tuned at all. Is that because of how well made they are? (meaning the process of crafting these shells.) Because of the janka scale of the woods chosen? Because of the climate control in the DCP barn? Is it just down to the lugs as he seemed to indicate? And does the de-tuning also indicate steam bent drums could be more prone to warping over the years?

Also, if it is a question about straightening, why not use a harder wood for the re-rings? A hickory or oak, which are more dense and plentiful enough to not drive up the drum cost, could hold the shape better than maple. I think. LOL

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting that Radio King has experienced this tuning issue with Tama, and cochlea hasn't with his Crav...
I was ready to discount this tuning change on solid (single) ply snares as I haven't heard it being a an issue that got some traction in some of the forums.
I really can't recall this hearing a tuning problem with the venerable Noble & Cooley variants ether???

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never experienced any defining issues with any N&C snares I have owned .

Reactions: Hop