Pearl Music City Custom solid shell snares who makes the shells ?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if areas with a lot of weather/humidity changes has a bigger effect?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if areas with a lot of weather/humidity changes has a bigger effect?
That's what I was thinking regarding the Tamas I had. No scientific explanation though, just a hunch. Weather does get yo-yo-like here on the southeastern coast, and particularly humid in the summer.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am not a Pearl dealer but I stay in touch with my old reps. My Pearl rep says they are all made in house.
Any idea if they're making the shells in Nashville or shipping them over from Taiwan?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any idea if they're making the shells in Nashville or shipping them over from Taiwan?
That is always the tricky question but judging by Shane's video in the previous page, it looks like it is all made in Nashville. Inside the shell it says "Handcrafted in the USA". I will take their word for it I guess :)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first time Pearl used USA-made shells for Pearl kits built in the USA and intended for the US market. They used Keller for a time in the 80's.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Given that they start with the made shell and show the other aspects of the manufacturing process, it's a safe bet they are not steam bending the shells in Nashville.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had Nashville Slingerland RKs that held their tuning all year long; same for a George Way Advance. But, I once had both a Tama Star Maple and a Star Mahogany, and they were both all over the place on any given day. Drove me crazy. Sometimes they'd go down super low, other times tight as a timbale. I ended up selling both purely for that reason. Great drums otherwise.
Strange. I have both a solid Star Maple and a solid Star Mahogany and have never experienced change in tuning.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Craviotto confirmed they don’t make them.

I never had an issue with my solid shells. And we have a vey high and relatively cold humidity here close to the coast.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts on solid shell snares per movement and detuning.
Solid wood is always going to move, and if the shell expands because of humidity, the distance between the lug and drum edge will increase but the tension rod will remain the same, so the tuning will change.
I think the way the wood is cut or split, would be why some drums tuning fluctuates more than others.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They sounded "mushy", better at "higher" tuning though. Very pretty, but that isn't why I'd purchase any drum. Its the sound. I'd pass, really wouldn't take one if given to me. I prefer Ludwig metal snares.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Given that they start with the made shell and show the other aspects of the manufacturing process, it's a safe bet they are not steam bending the shells in Nashville.
I figured it's more likely for them to make these shells where they make Reference, Masterworks, etc, but with a low volume product like these solid shells it's possible they may have a separate manufacturing location. Pearl also seems to be ramping up the Music City Custom offerings and these snares are kind of a flagship model since they're not wrapped like the kits.
Either way, it doesn't make a difference where the shell is made since it's a high end Pearl product. I was just curious since the DCP video was touting the "made in USA" aspect.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I thought Pearl did all their own stuff.
Many or all of their metal-shelled snare drum shells are sub-contracted out to factories in Taiwan and China. I'm pretty sure they are also not making the acrylic shells for their Crystal Beat drums.

Timely video - just came out today. It confirms what Murat's Pearl rep said: handmade in Nashville, TN.
Listen to what Shane actually says in the video... made in Nashville, where Pearl headquarters is... Craviotto is now located in Nashville. He never actually said that Pearl is making the shells.

Latest posts