Pearl President phenolic bass drum repair

Mick Shrimpton

Reaction score
After looking around for a while, I finally found a late 60's/ early 70's Pearl President kit with phenolic shells. Everything looks to be in good order except....the bass drum is missing one of its spurs.

I called some suppliers, but alas, no original parts can be found. I've never worked with these President kits, and more so phenolic shells. I know some of y'all have experience working with these exact kits and I was wondering if any of you had some advice on what to do in this situation?

Is it possible to simply put new spurs on the bass drum?

I plan on keeping this kit, so collectibility and resale are of no concern to me. I'm just hoping there is an affordable and efficient solution available.

Any help is greatly appreciated, it's a cool kit, and I hope to get it back to full playability.

Here are some pics...

Attachments

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old Pearl parts; check the Pearl Forum, E Bay, CL, and maybe Vintage Drum Forum.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
What part of the spur is missing? The bracket on the drum or just the rod itself? If it's just the rod, anything that's 3/8" diameter will fit, so if you're ok with it not being 100% "original," you can take a spare floor tom leg to a machine shop and have them cut/bevel it down to match the other. The brackets were used on a couple models of Pearls (and a lot of generic drums), so they're possible to find...

I'm not around my kit to check, but are these spurs a pretty close match? http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5514

You'll also probably want to find memory locks that fir 3/8" rods for the spurs, too. The direct-thread system, especially on kinda soft metal, isn't exactly great for supporting a bass with a mounted tom. With memory locks, you don't have to crank down on them so you get slip-free use. Something like this would be good (since they're so adjustable, you can really crank them solid): http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3856

If you'd wind up deciding to forgo using the old spurs and drill for something modern, I believe Phenolic is pretty easy to work with. Just use a sharp bit, drill a pilot hole, measure fifteen times, tape and back the exit side, all the usual stuff.

GREAT set, by the way! I have the same kit, but in "Gold Oyster" (actually orange and black version of what yours is) with a rail mount. I bought it for the purpose of having a temporary beater touring kit, but they wound up being one of my favorite kits and I can't justify selling something that sounds and looks so good for so little money! These are seriously cool drums: nicely centered tone, weatherproof, stay in tune, massive volume potential. Aren't the lugs gorgeous?

Mick Shrimpton

Reaction score
Awesome advice, thanks man! When I was researching the vintage Pearl's I actually came across a thread you started a while back about your "Gold Oyster" kit. Definitely helped me pull the trigger on this kit....so thanks!

The dealer ended up finding another original spur to match the kit, so while slightly shaky every now and then, the bass drum is sturdy enough. In time I may replace them, but for now, we're good to go.

Those gibraltar spurs were the first thing I looked at for replacements, so good to have a second opinion on those. Good to know about any 3/8" diameter piece of metal working as replacement.

I'm really digging their sound, I'll try to upload some recordings/videos of it soon.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I am also on the fence about gigging the original spurs. These are my main kit now and while the spurs have yet to cause any issue, I am considering doing modern spurs with a no-drill adapter plate. I also went with a snare stand with latex on the arms. The rail is pretty good, but it was definitely sapping lows just a bit.