Pearl Reference Vs Pearl MMX Masters

Kyle014

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just wanting to get some opinion as I am not a drummer, but I do deal with my band's gears. We currently have a Pearl Reference Kit with a 10, 13 Toms and a 18 Kick. Our drummer is just not feeling the 18, saying that it is too small. So on my local trading page, someone is willing to offer a 4pc MMX Masters kit, which is an 12x8 , 12x10, 14 floor tom and a 22 BD. Do you think it is a good trade? Thanks!

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. The Reference kit is in what they call "bop" sizes, which are typically 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom, and an 18" bass drum (depths on the bass drum can range from 18" down to 14", though I think what you have is likely 18" deep). The sizes you have are a bit undersized (10" rack tom and a 13" "hanging" floor tom). If you're playing rock/pop/funk/worship., ect., the larger drums would likely work better than what the drummer is presently using. The Reference series is considered to be a notch above the MMX Masters, but as a former Masters owner, I can tell you that they are first-rate drums. About ten years ago I answered some questions about the differences on DFO: DFO Thread

Kyle014

Reaction score
Yes. The Reference kit is in what they call "bop" sizes, which are typically 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom, and an 18" bass drum (depths on the bass drum can range from 18" down to 14", though I think what you have is likely 18" deep). The sizes you have are a bit undersized (10" rack tom and a 13" "hanging" floor tom). If you're playing rock/pop/funk/worship., ect., the larger drums would likely work better than what the drummer is presently using. The Reference series is considered to be a notch above the MMX Masters, but as a former Masters owner, I can tell you that they are first-rate drums. About ten years ago I answered some questions about the differences on DFO: DFO Thread
Thanks for the detailed response! Do you think, resale wise, would it be a fair trade for a 3pc Reference to a 4 Pc MMX?

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would't make that trade. Pearl makes some nice looking and sounding drums, but re-sale on them you'll usually take a bath. Not much use for a kit with two 12" toms of different depths.

What kind of music are y'all playing?

Kyle014

Reaction score
I would't make that trade. Pearl makes some nice looking and sounding drums, but re-sale on them you'll usually take a bath. Not much use for a kit with two 12" toms of different depths.

What kind of music are y'all playing?
I was thinking the same. We do play everything and do covers of mostly everything.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, your drummer is being hamstrung by the sizes of your current kit, especially if you cover such a very wide assortment of covers. He, indeed, does need the larger sized bass drum and toms in the MMX kit.

However (there is always a however, huh?), a quick search of online "sold" listings revealed that your Reference "bop" kit is worth considerably more money than the MMX. Something on the order of twice the price.

So, there are several directions you could go that would make better economic sense. For instance, you could sell your Reference kit and buy another kit in more appropriate sizes. And the MMX kits would be good candidates if you want to stay within the Pearl realm.

Alternatively, you could add the necessary sizes to your Reference kit by purchasing a used 22" bass drum, and a used 16" floor tom to yield a 10/13/16/22 configuration - ideal for the wide range of covers that your band plays. (And note that you don't necessarily have to buy Reference drums for your additions, especially in the case of the bass drum. If you are concerned that all of the drums match in color, Pearl used a number of colors across a wide spectrum of their drum series. So color matching a non-Reference bass drum/floor tom may not be that hard to do. If you don't care about exactly matching colors, or can accept colors that don't match perfectly, you are home free.) This is the direction I would take.

You might also consider doing the proposed trade with the other guy kicking in enough cash and/or gear to make the trade more equitable. (Having two 12" toms wouldn't bother me personally since they are of different depths. That difference should be enough to compensate for the sizes.) The only thing that would concern me about this direction is ending up with a 14" floor tom as my lowest-tuning tom. A 16" floor tom would be much more suitable, imo.

Let us know which direction (if any) you take here. Your "problem" in this consideration is quite interesting, and a follow-up would be appreciated. And PICS! Would love to see the two kits involved.

GeeDeeEmm