Pearl Rhythm Traveler - Cool!

Core Creek

Reaction score
I was on the hunt last year for a more portable kit. I actually have a small maple no name kit (18, 12, 14 and matching 14 snare), but my BL was trying to get me to take up less space on stage. Considering I’m playing drums and bass at the same time, it was hard to eliminate much. I figured a thin bass drum would at least cut down a little. I did find a set of Arbiter flats that I bought, tuned up, and decided they sucked, and sold them within a week. I’ve also been eyeing some old Purecussion kits, but with my experience with the Arbiter kit, I already think I’ll hate them.

Well, a couple of days ago I was at my local Sam Ash and there was a set of Pearl Rhythm Travelers for the crazy price of $99. It included the bass, two rack toms, mounted floor Tom, a cymbal stand, mounts for all the drums, a snare and a Yamaha snare stand, and even a vinyl carrying case for the toms. I grabbed it and took it home, waiting for a chance to clean them up when I got the chance. What really sold me was the fact that the bass drum had an EMAD and an EQ3, and sounded awesome just hitting it with a stick. The toms all had G1s and had quite some ring to them. I wasn’t keen on going out and spending $ on heads, so just the bass drum alone was a score.

Today I had an outdoor gig with a high chance of rain, and the BL told me to just bring a small kit in case we couldn’t get electricity for the bass - so I grabbed the kit. I left the snare and grabbed the one that came with my small maple kit because it had better heads and puresound wires. Overall I think the drumset sounded pretty good. If anything, I think the bass needs a little muffling - with such a small shell the reso head just rings too much. I also think the G1s are too ringy. Some EC2’s or even pinstripes would probably given a better thud. But with just a little tuning I got it to sound pretty darn good. And this gig is pretty quiet - I think they’d work great in a higher volume rock gig.

Nonetheless, I can’t think of a better $100 purchase. Here’s a couple of pics - I took off the second Tom to get the ride closer, and I was able to mount the crash off the mount - it should allow me to carry less hardware to a gig:

2966C432-7752-4BF6-8955-7C4BF90E1E78.jpeg
1B1B4B1B-2C51-4AAB-8C4A-DB05E2A69254.jpeg

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One Hell of a score!

dingaling

Reaction score
Lol. Why the double braced tama hardware for a portable kit? Check out the Yamaha crosstown.

Core Creek

Reaction score
Lol. Why the double braced tama hardware for a portable kit? Check out the Yamaha crosstown.
Simply using what I had sitting around. I love my lever glide hi hat and take it everywhere anyway…. And with two legs it’s pretty portable. The old Tama stand was the only thing not packed away.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fantastic deal on a kit. I had one and only got rid of it when I got a cheaper portable kit of similar quality (someone's custom mod, so it's easier to sell the Pearl). Always loved using it though, amazingly convenient kit.

It's only 3 stands. Replacing it with the Crosstown is $310 of wasted cash if they don't mind using the current stands. That's new snare money!

Old Beginner

Reaction score
As COVID forced us to work from home, I needed a small footprint, low volume kit so I could practice without disturbing my wife. Found a Rhythm Traveler for a good price (not as good as the OP's), but the cymbal stands made my small practice space too crowded so the ride and crash are mounted on the bass drum using Pearl BT-3s. With advice from the builder's section of the forum (thanks!), the cymbal mounts are made from Pearl tom arms married to cut down cymbal stand tubes.

IMG_0768.jpeg
IMG_0769.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpeg

Last edited:

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was on the hunt last year for a more portable kit. I actually have a small maple no name kit (18, 12, 14 and matching 14 snare), but my BL was trying to get me to take up less space on stage. Considering I’m playing drums and bass at the same time, it was hard to eliminate much. I figured a thin bass drum would at least cut down a little. I did find a set of Arbiter flats that I bought, tuned up, and decided they sucked, and sold them within a week. I’ve also been eyeing some old Purecussion kits, but with my experience with the Arbiter kit, I already think I’ll hate them.

Well, a couple of days ago I was at my local Sam Ash and there was a set of Pearl Rhythm Travelers for the crazy price of $99. It included the bass, two rack toms, mounted floor Tom, a cymbal stand, mounts for all the drums, a snare and a Yamaha snare stand, and even a vinyl carrying case for the toms. I grabbed it and took it home, waiting for a chance to clean them up when I got the chance. What really sold me was the fact that the bass drum had an EMAD and an EQ3, and sounded awesome just hitting it with a stick. The toms all had G1s and had quite some ring to them. I wasn’t keen on going out and spending $ on heads, so just the bass drum alone was a score.

Today I had an outdoor gig with a high chance of rain, and the BL told me to just bring a small kit in case we couldn’t get electricity for the bass - so I grabbed the kit. I left the snare and grabbed the one that came with my small maple kit because it had better heads and puresound wires. Overall I think the drumset sounded pretty good. If anything, I think the bass needs a little muffling - with such a small shell the reso head just rings too much. I also think the G1s are too ringy. Some EC2’s or even pinstripes would probably given a better thud. But with just a little tuning I got it to sound pretty darn good. And this gig is pretty quiet - I think they’d work great in a higher volume rock gig.

Nonetheless, I can’t think of a better $100 purchase. Here’s a couple of pics - I took off the second Tom to get the ride closer, and I was able to mount the crash off the mount - it should allow me to carry less hardware to a gig:

View attachment 516912 View attachment 516913
You hit the mother lode of compact kits as far as I'm concerned. The combination of a shallow-shell/regular diameter bass drum plus the very versatile Pearl twin receiver makes it the double-whammy king of portable kits IMO.

I picked up an orphan RT bass drum a few years ago and paired it with a DW piccolo tom & a Pearl flat timbale (with 2-ply heads & zero ring to cut some ring and fatten up the tone) to make my Timbale Traveler, a very handy fits-everywhere-and-packs-a-reasonable-punch beater kit. I mainly use it for quiet jazz gigs, rehearsals and jam sessions because of its size and flexibility. I use it in either single- or two-tom configurations, depending on the need of the given situation. The band leader of one tiki-bar group I sub with prefers it to my jungle and bop kits. Plus it looks a lot less scary to patrons of coffee shops and tiny restaurants than a regular-size kit would. Also the load-in/out is fairly painless and it all fits behind the back seat of my Honda Element.

TimbaleTraveler001.jpg

2018-06-23-Romilos001.JPG

2018-06-23-Romilos004.JPG

22018-06-23-Romilos006.JPG

2018-04-06-DeepCreek001.JPG

IMG_9483.JPG

IMG_9515.JPG

IMG_9517.JPG

Core Creek

Reaction score
You hit the mother lode of compact kits as far as I'm concerned. The combination of a shallow-shell/regular diameter bass drum plus the very versatile Pearl twin receiver makes it the double-whammy king of portable kits IMO.

I picked up an orphan RT bass drum a few years ago and paired it with a DW piccolo tom & a Pearl flat timbale (with 2-ply heads & zero ring to cut some ring and fatten up the tone) to make my Timbale Traveler, a very handy fits-everywhere-and-packs-a-reasonable-punch beater kit. I mainly use it for quiet jazz gigs, rehearsals and jam sessions because of its size and flexibility. I use it in either single- or two-tom configurations, depending on the need of the given situation. The band leader of one tiki-bar group I sub with prefers it to my jungle and bop kits. Plus it looks a lot less scary to patrons of coffee shops and tiny restaurants than a regular-size kit would. Also the load-in/out is fairly painless and it all fits behind the back seat of my Honda Element.

View attachment 517573

View attachment 517574

View attachment 517575

View attachment 517576

View attachment 517577

View attachment 517578

View attachment 517579

View attachment 517580
Cool! I actually think I have a 10” or 8” temp Tom somewher.. I’ll have to try that out!

Core Creek

Reaction score
As COVID forced us to work from home, I needed a small footprint, low volume kit so I could practice without disturbing my wife. Found a Rhythm Traveler for a good price (not as good as the OP's), but the cymbal stands made my small practice space too crowded so the ride and crash are mounted on the bass drum using Pearl BT-3s. With advice from the builder's section of the forum (thanks!), the cymbal mounts are made from Pearl tom arms married to cut down cymbal stand tubes.

View attachment 517029 View attachment 517030 View attachment 517031
Great idea! I might have to try something like that.

boomstick

Reaction score
$99 is a great score for all that gear. I think I paid around that for just a "shell pack" of used RTs. The RT kick and snare are surprisingly good, but I sold off the toms and replaced them with a couple of cheap 2-headed toms. This simple change makes it sound/feel very much like a "real" kit.

Old Beginner

Reaction score
Great idea! I might have to try something like that.
If you do, this information might be helpful:

- Inde has a video of their lightweight drum mount/L-arm/tilter system which looks great but the L-arms move alot during play, which bothered me, but may not be an issue for you. The Inde system is much lighter than mine, but mine hardly moves during play.

- I'm a beginner and still experimenting with cymbal positioning, and the more common drum mounted cymbal arms (like the Inde) have very limited adjustment away/toward the drummer. Again, may not be an issue for you.

- While the away/toward ajustment is great, tightening the BT-3 tom mount does not prevent the tom arm/cymbal post from rotating, so you must use a memory lock to hold the arm in place.

Hope that helps.

P.S. The idea came from a RIMs Headset as you can see from the attached photo.
RIMS Headset.jpg

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yessir -- scored one off local craigslist for $100. Worth every penny. The drums all nest in a 16 x 20 BD bag with the low volume Zildjian cymbals. I have the hardware in a small roller bag, and I can carry the entire rig with two hands.
Great for impromptu jams, rehearsals and weekend cabin campfire parties.
Pearl Rhythm Traveler.JPG

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even though I normally pair my Rhythm Traveler bass drum with timbales, here's something else you can do. Some guy was selling the toms (5x10,8x13) from a Yamaha SC Hip kit, so I nabbed them (Yamaha doesn't sell them separately, so this was pure luck). I also picked up a pair of Tama Club Jam toms (7x10,7x14f). The Yamaha toms are louder and sharper, but the Tamas have more rounded and fuller sound to my ears. Haven't gigged them yet, but am looking forward to testing them out at a local jam session soon.

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

Core Creek

Reaction score
Yessir -- scored one off local craigslist for $100. Worth every penny. The drums all nest in a 16 x 20 BD bag with the low volume Zildjian cymbals. I have the hardware in a small roller bag, and I can carry the entire rig with two hands.
Great for impromptu jams, rehearsals and weekend cabin campfire parties.
View attachment 517962
I still can’t figure out how all three toms fit in each other. The mounts make it next to impossible.