PEARL SESSION STUDIO SELECT vs PEARL MASTERS MAPLE COMPLETE

aantonn

Reaction score
Hi! I need help with what kit i should buy. It`s between PEARL SESSION STUDIO SELECT and PEARL MASTERS MAPLE COMPLETE.

I`m going to travel a lot with the kit since i`m going to use it for touring , So i need something with good quality that will last and take a lot.

I play and hit very hard and i do play fast metal. So i need something with good punchable sound that will cut thru.

What kit is best for the road?

What kit are best for the studio?

I`ve heard the lugs on MMC get out of tune more than usual. Is that true? I don`t like to tune and honestly I´m not too good at it, so i would like to tune as little as possible. + sometimes it can be hard to get time to tune the kit.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
All I know is I absolutely love my SSS. Incredibly well built, incredible sound. I love the birch and mahogany blend. Cutting, yet warm.

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi! I need help with what kit i should buy. It`s between PEARL SESSION STUDIO SELECT and PEARL MASTERS MAPLE COMPLETE.

I play and hit very hard and i do play fast metal. So i need something with good punchable sound that will cut thru.

What kit is best for the road?

What kit are best for the studio?

I love my maples, but live, metal, and a cut through sound.....I'd go with the SSS Birch shells. Maple may be too warm and blend too much for a cut through sound to compete with the guitars. If you could mix n match, I'd still try for a maple bass drum. Maple in the bass really seems to bring out the lows.

Now for Studio I'd go with the maple as they can mix it to make up the balance with the guitars.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had both kits.
Now, I only own the Session Studio Select.
The previous version of masters maple drums had die cast hoops. Now, the session and masters maple are the same.
I don't think the current version of maples have any features that are better than the session studio.
The wrap finish on the sessions will probably hold up better on the road than the maple lacquer finish too.
All that said, I still use a maple snare, but my toms and BD are session studio select.