Pearl Steve Ferrone Vs Black Beauty

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already own a Pearl SF1465 Steve Ferrone snare (which I love) and I'm thinking about purchasing a Ludwig Black Beauty. From some of the threads I've read on DFO it seems like a 6.5 inch BB is the move but I'm starting to wonder if that would be duplicating the sound of the Pearl SF. I'd love to hear some thoughts from those of you who own (or have owned) both drums. Please restrict comments to these drums. I am not looking for an alternative to a BB.
thanks!
Steve

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are all kinds of copycat Black Nickel over brass snares out there . Some get close to the sound of a Ludwig Black Beauty but the Ludwig is just a magic snare drum and has its own unique thing

The original Pearl Ferrone signature snare is a really good drum .Typical of Pearl to make a blatant copy of a competitor’s drum . They made an unabashed copy of the N&C Alloy Classic with cheaper fittings than the N&C snare .

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I know you asked for comments about those two specific drums, but my experience with a Ludwig 402 and the equivalent Pearl 6.5 aluminum Sensitone might be helpful; I owned them both and was able to directly A-B them with the same heads, wires and tuning. I couldn't tell them apart, so I kept the Ludwig -- still have it.

I also owned a Pearl Steve Ferrone for awhile. Great drum. I should have kept it. But I never had a Black Beauty.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the allure of the BBs uniqueness is mental. …..
If you can’t past thinking that is has its own inherent mojo like many do . Buy one .

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the allure of the BBs uniqueness is mental. …..
If you can’t past thinking that is has its own inherent mojo like many do . Buy one .

I have spent years sampling dozens of snare drums (for Toontrack, Roland and others). We have sampled 1970's Black Beauties on the same session as Kenny Aronoff's, Ferrone's and Worldmax. They are all great snares, no flaws, no compromises, BUT they do not sound exactly like a Ludwig BB. The BB has a slightly more fullsome, glossy sound to it.
You can't hear it on a gig, or probably even on a record. But when you sample them in isolation and listen back to each one in quick succession the BB sounds like a BB and the others don't.....quite. It isn't just 'in the mind'. Whether the difference is important or not is u to the individual. If I wanted a BB sound I would buy one. If I wanted a great sounding brass snare, I might consider one of the clones.

kaide

Reaction score
I tested those side by side a few years ago and I think Ludwig shell was lower pitched at the same tuning. So, it's similar but Pearl Ferrone has a higher pitch and it was easier to tune (if I remember correctly). Also, different hoops affect the rimshot sound.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s good info Chris .. So there is a little something……..

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have spent years sampling dozens of snare drums (for Toontrack, Roland and others). We have sampled 1970's Black Beauties on the same session as Kenny Aronoff's, Ferrone's and Worldmax. They are all great snares, no flaws, no compromises, BUT they do not sound exactly like a Ludwig BB. The BB has a slightly more fullsome, glossy sound to it.
You can't hear it on a gig, or probably even on a record. But when you sample them in isolation and listen back to each one in quick succession the BB sounds like a BB and the others don't.....quite. It isn't just 'in the mind'. Whether the difference is important or not is u to the individual. If I wanted a BB sound I would buy one. If I wanted a great sounding brass snare, I might consider one of the clones.
This is so well put, I might have to save a copy for the next time the "Black Beauty vs..." question comes up.