Pearl what is up with them lately ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Pearl lost their way ? In the 80’s and 90’s Pearl was all over the place . The Masterworks were out and getting lots of press . The Masters line was the new thing - thin maple shells and birch shells .
Lately I just don’t see lot from Pearl , it seems since the fiasco with the e-Pro alive they have been gunshy .

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Yeah they had everything perfect IMO with the earlier Masters with option of thin Maple, Birch OR African Mahogany and very nice finishes... .. and also the thicker shell option.. Those drums sound incredible.. as good as most without breaking a sweat.

Like I mentioned in another thread.. some of the best QC to ever exist with the Taiwan factory.. I had probably 15 different kits and I used to take some of them apart.. the World Series mid level.. I could'nt find ANYTHING wrong.. including ply screw ups or whatever....

LauraCai

Reaction score

Yeah they had everything perfect IMO with the earlier Masters with option of thin Maple, Birch OR African Mahogany and very nice finishes... .. and also the thicker shell option.. Those drums sound incredible.. as good as most without breaking a sweat.

Like I mentioned in another thread.. some of the best QC to ever exist with the Taiwan factory.. I had probably 15 different kits and I used to take some of them apart.. the World Series mid level.. I could'nt find ANYTHING wrong.. including ply screw ups or whatever....
Agreed about the earlier Masters line. Maple, birch, African mahogany. May have been called MRX, MMX, MBX, & MHX but forget off the top of my head. Maple in 4 ply with re-rings & 6 ply. Birch in 6 ply. Mahogany in 4 ply with maple re-rings. Great drums at reasonable prices covering a lot of bases with great quality as you say.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked for Pearl as a District Sales Manager from 1996 to 2007. The made great drums during that time. We literally couldn't keep them in stock. Even the Export line was incredibly well made and sounded fantastic when fitted with decent heads.
They made a series of mistakes (in my opinion); dismissing their entire sales force (including me) was among them. However, the product remains above reproach.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Pearl lost their way ? In the 80’s and 90’s Pearl was all over the place . The Masterworks were out and getting lots of press . The Masters line was the new thing - thin maple shells and birch shells .
Lately I just don’t see lot from Pearl , it seems since the fiasco with the e-Pro alive they have been gunshy .
Well they just launched a new website and they have some big new stuff coming in late March/early April for their 75th birthday. Hopefully some cool new stuff?

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl is going strong. They recently updated their website and it is a vast improvement. Pearl is also active on social media, so if "Like" them on FB, you'll get the latest updates. Pearls current lines stack up against anything out there. They have their own line of Solid Wood shells to go up against N&C and even maple/gum Masters. The current Birch/Mahogany Sessions are a hit and while the Decade Maples don't get a lot of love on this forum compared to say the Yamaha Stage Customs, the Decades did great in the DCP Maple shootout, at least in my opinion.

A couple of things hit all of the Asian manufacturers at one level or another. First, traditional American manufacturers like Ludwig and Gretsch have much better distribution than they had back in the 90s when they were completely irrelevant. They are now competing at every price point. In addition, the current popularity of 70s sizes like 24x14 kicks has also favored the classic manufacturers. Back in the day it was Exports and Tama Rockstars, but now there is serious competition from DW, PDP and Gretsch in that market.

At the top end of the market, there are more boutique manufacturers and drummers today are looking for their own custom build as opposed to buying what their favorite artists are playing. In the 80s four out of five kits on MTV were Pearl or Tama, but the recording industry is dead and they can't market that way any longer.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently the store I teach at got in a couple Roadshow sets. They were not as well made as their previous or competing brands' entry level sets.
I don't disagree, I got a Roadshow last year after years of being out of drumming. Shells are fine, hardware is crap, I replaced all the mounting hardware. Stands are ok but the throne and snare stand got tossed. Keeping it for a second kit but after the work I put into it and fitted it properly with the right heads I wouldn't be embarrassed to play it on stage.

The Decade kit I got is fine but I had a difficult time with the hoops at first. 1.6mm and I understand that they "purposely" used thinner hoops for tone but half or most of them were bent or warped. I practically had to almost pry one off one of the toms it was so bent. I contacted Pearl and they sent me all new hoops for the kit - most of which were bent or warped again. I requested thicker hoops but they would only replace the stock hoops. Not wanting to send the entire kit back I just bought 2.3mm hoops from DFD and it's fine.

This is my 5th Pearl kit and I've only owned a Mapex Mars kit outside of Pearl kits (I'm not counting the junk Chinese kit I had when I was 12 lol) and it got me thinking that I'd consider going with a Ludwig or Yamaha if I ever get a new kit again.

Or an Oriollo but that's a daydream right now lol

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I probably misread the name, but they are made in Nashville.

Try Music City.
This it?

Website is difficult to navigate.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Recently the store I teach at got in a couple Roadshow sets. They were not as well made as their previous or competing brands' entry level sets.
That's because those are from the China factory.. not sure if it's a Pearl facility or Contractor.. but I have seen similar with all the chinese factory Pearl stuff.. up to the Decade Maples... I wouldn't buy any of their stuff from that factory.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They have quietly introduced the US made Nashville series.
Shells are made in Taiwan factory and shipped over..... Not sure about the edges....

I have heard of alot of issues with the wrap on these drums which is done in Nashville.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s a bummer.
I actually spotted a kit at a store online years ago.. and I could clearly see the wrap had a large gap like it was loose or something.. I emailed a guy at Pearl.. and he was very grateful.. LOL

but even since that.. I've spoken to some shops and heard similar about the Nashville stuff..

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What Pearl did great:

1. Had a great a entry level kit in the 80’s in the Export when they were extremely visible (OCDP should have learned from them but were too late for their peak)

2. Jumped on the custom market to make the younger kids drool and want to play them and keep the older & experienced players they already playing them

What mistakes they made:

1. Way too much R&D and money into a mediocre electronic kit in the E Pro and pedal in the Demon Direct Drive

2. Removing the Export line

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What Pearl did great:

1. Had a great a entry level kit in the 80’s in the Export when they were extremely visible (OCDP should have learned from them but were too late for their peak)

2. Jumped on the custom market to make the younger kids drool and want to play them and keep the older & experienced players they already playing them

What mistakes they made:

1. Way too much R&D and money into a mediocre electronic kit in the E Pro and pedal in the Demon Direct Drive

2. Removing the Export line
That e-kit was BRUTAL. I tried playing it and it was just meh. And the asking price was just crazy!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That's because those are from the China factory.. not sure if it's a Pearl facility or Contractor.. but I have seen similar with all the chinese factory Pearl stuff.. up to the Decade Maples... I wouldn't buy any of their stuff from that factory.
All my recent experiences with the Forum and below have been disappointing. I wish I could recommend them to my students, but I just can't.
By contrast, if I read you right, the Decades are being made in the same factory? I recently bought a Modern Utility snare (14x8) and it is just a phenomenal snare for the money. It's my assumption that it's basically the same as a Decade Maple, but I don't know this for sure.