Pearl what is up with them lately ?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All my recent experiences with the Forum and below have been disappointing. I wish I could recommend them to my students, but I just can't.
By contrast, if I read you right, the Decades are being made in the same factory? I recently bought a Modern Utility snare (14x8) and it is just a phenomenal snare for the money. It's my assumption that it's basically the same as a Decade Maple, but I don't know this for sure.
Yeah those Forums coming out of that China factory.. and I really don't know if that is a Contractor or not. .. The Decades have China on the badge as well and I could only assume it is the same factory as Forum etc.. Utility Snares are also out of a China factory and I am just guessing that they are all coming out of the same place..unless there are multiple China facilities which I doubt.

I know some of the stuff is fine just like your Snare.. but you just have to be a little more careful IMO with those products... Check out the shell and edges with the heads off.. look at the seams..

CigarScott

Reaction score
Pearl has been the only kit that I ever owned: from my early 90's Export to now owning a Masterworks kit. The drums coming out of Taiwan are first class and am extremely happy with my kit. I still think they, along with Tama and DW are the "big three" when it comes to hardware. The Icon rack system is the defacto standard and you see tons of drummers use it even if they're not playing Pearl drums. I love my Demon Drive pedals but do use a Tama hi-hat so I can angle it like Simon Phillips.

I visited them up in Nashville when I got my kit and they treated me like an endorser, eventhough I'm a nobody. The folks that work up there are awesome and put up with all of my, probably annoying questions, and were extremely patient with me with deciding what I wanted for my Masterworks kit.

With that said, I've also been curious as to what the current situation is with the company as their endorser roster isn't what it once was. Just think of all of the people that have played Pearl at one time but are now playing something else: Vinnie Paul (RIP), Will Calhoun, Virgil Donati, Chad Smith, Tommy Lee, Peter Criss, and the list goes on and on. I have no idea if they just were given better offers by someone else or their new companies offer better tour support or what their motivation was for leaving Pearl...

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl has been the only kit that I ever owned: from my early 90's Export to now owning a Masterworks kit. The drums coming out of Taiwan are first class and am extremely happy with my kit. I still think they, along with Tama and DW are the "big three" when it comes to hardware. The Icon rack system is the defacto standard and you see tons of drummers use it even if they're not playing Pearl drums. I love my Demon Drive pedals but do use a Tama hi-hat so I can angle it like Simon Phillips.

I visited them up in Nashville when I got my kit and they treated me like an endorser, eventhough I'm a nobody. The folks that work up there are awesome and put up with all of my, probably annoying questions, and were extremely patient with me with deciding what I wanted for my Masterworks kit.

With that said, I've also been curious as to what the current situation is with the company as their endorser roster isn't what it once was. Just think of all of the people that have played Pearl at one time but are now playing something else: Vinnie Paul (RIP), Will Calhoun, Virgil Donati, Chad Smith, Tommy Lee, Peter Criss, and the list goes on and on. I have no idea if they just were given better offers by someone else or their new companies offer better tour support or what their motivation was for leaving Pearl...
I don’t play Pearl, but I know a couple of those guys really well. Good people and I agree that they really care about their clients.

I also see you are exactly the type of player they work towards to satisfy. They had you setup for each need you had in your playing life.

Ang

Reaction score
Back in the 90's the studio that my bands rehearsed in was equipped with old Pearl maple shelled kits, besides the wear and tear on them they sounded great.
I owned a MMX kit that sounded great, but they discontinued the finish and couldn't match it to make me additional drums, (it was the white wash that you could see the wood grain through). So, I sold that and bought a Masters Studio kit. I still play this kit. 6 Ply birch shells, it was the older series so I swapped out the hoops for Die Cast and put Opti-Mounts instead of the original I.S.S. mounts. Pearl built me additional drums over the years and I really like them, they aged a lot better than my Austin era Fibes kit with Jasper shells.

I haven't kept up with their current offerings though.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 90's the studio that my bands rehearsed in was equipped with old Pearl maple shelled kits, besides the wear and tear on them they sounded great.
I owned a MMX kit that sounded great, but they discontinued the finish and couldn't match it to make me additional drums, (it was the white wash that you could see the wood grain through). So, I sold that and bought a Masters Studio kit. I still play this kit. 6 Ply birch shells, it was the older series so I swapped out the hoops for Die Cast and put Opti-Mounts instead of the original I.S.S. mounts. Pearl built me additional drums over the years and I really like them, they aged a lot better than my Austin era Fibes kit with Jasper shells.

I haven't kept up with their current offerings though.
I’m curious how they aged better than Fibes ?

Ang

Reaction score
I’m curious how they aged better than Fibes ?
The quality of the hardware and components and unfortunately one Jasper shell.
Both spur clips on the bottom of the bass drum have broken, probably a common problem with these. The lug casing screws have all corroded with a white crust, as well as the inside of the lugs and several screws were totally stripped when I removed them for cleaning.
Lastly, when they were taken apart to have the heads changed, I noticed that the outer ply was separating almost entirely around the top bearing edge. In one spot the glue had failed to about 3/4" down where it formed a bubble and split open.

Don't get me wrong these Fibes sound great, but these little details really bother me.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The quality of the hardware and components and unfortunately one Jasper shell.
Both spur clips on the bottom of the bass drum have broken, probably a common problem with these. The lug casing screws have all corroded with a white crust, as well as the inside of the lugs and several screws were totally stripped when I removed them for cleaning.
Lastly, when they were taken apart to have the heads changed, I noticed that the outer ply was separating almost entirely around the top bearing edge. In one spot the glue had failed to about 3/4" down where it formed a bubble and split open.

Don't get me wrong these Fibes sound great, but these little details really bother me.
Jeez...... that's alot worse than early Ddrum acoustic sets !!

Also.. I hear you on that white stain finish they had.. "White Mist" Killer finish !

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That Session Studio Select line (birch/african mahogany composite shell) is killer. Warm, fat and punchy like the old Yamaha Tour Custom birch/mahogany layup from the 80's. Apparently it was Pearl's best seller out of the shell recipes on one of the myriad of lines I can't keep straight -- so much so that they broke it out as its own separately named line. Price point is very nice as well.

mpthomson

Reaction score
They have quietly introduced the US made Nashville series.
That's been around for a few years and they're not made in the US, just assembled. It's basically a shell bank available in wraps in the US only (I recall that they're Reference Pure shells), and exists so that they can get the lead time on orders down substantially. It's basically a way of getting a kit in the US in less than 9mths rather then anything new.

I'm not sure whether assembled goes even as far as putting the wraps on the shells or it's simply putting some pre-wrapped shells in some boxes and sending them out to the stores.

Quick edit to add there's a video on Youtube shows the process, they take ready made shells from Taiwan, add the wrap and fittings etc.

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's been around for a few years and they're not made in the US, just assembled. It's basically a shell bank available in wraps in the US only (I recall that they're Reference Pure shells), and exists so that they can get the lead time on orders down substantially.

I'm not sure whether assembled goes even as far as putting the wraps on the shells or it's simply putting some pre-wrapped shells in some boxes and sending them out to the stores.
Sweetwater acted like it was a totally new thing last year. Oh well.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Remember too that Pearl virtually owns the percussion market. Kits are a small part of their overall operation IMO. Think marching, orchestra, Latin percussion, accessories. School market is also very big for them.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remember too that Pearl virtually owns the percussion market. Kits are a small part of their overall operation IMO. Think marching, orchestra, Latin percussion, accessories. School market is also very big for them.
Pearl isn't even close to owning the market. Yamaha, Ludwig, Dynasty, Tama, and Mapex also have full-range offerings.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl is a much bigger player in the drum set space than you'd think by reading this forum.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl isn't even close to owning the market. Yamaha, Ludwig, Dynasty, Tama, and Mapex also have full-range offerings.
Maybe marching—-maybe. But total percussion? No way. Pearl leads the pack