Pearts passing...how many of us still hurting?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll start by saying I was never a fan of Rush, and although I had respect for his drumming I never got the drum god thing. But, after reading so much about him this past week I have a newfound interest and new level of respect for him!
He was an awesome human being!
This pretty much sums it up for me, too. I never realized how much his lyrics hit home for a lot of people. I heard a local radio morning show host who also fronts a very good band talk about the song "Subdivisions" and how it nailed exactly how he felt in high school.
I also had the utmost respect for the way he reinvented himself after the Buddy Rich Tribute Concert he played on. How many musicians who are already legendary have been willing to do that? I remember when he was the final drummer for David Letterman's drum week, and he finished his solo not with something by Rush, not with something he had written, but by playing along with "Love For Sale". He could have kept the spotlight on himself, but he was willing to turn it on Buddy. I got choked up watching it.
He was truly an awesome human being, as well as an awesome drummer and musician.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m just starting to get over it and I wasn’t even a huge fan. It just feels like a part of my youth is dead. It seemed every drummer friend in high worshipped him. It was hard to have not some of him back then.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I feel for Geddy and Alex. I'm going to the funeral of my band mate that I have played with the last 7 years. He was the songwriter and male vocalist in my band (We have a female too as the band is named after her). He stood right at the front along with our vocalist Shana, played acoustic guitar, did lead and back up vocals as well as write 90% of all the original songs we did. I probably played over 300 plus gigs with him, recorded three full CD's and made a produced video.

I say all this because I will miss the the fun we had as well as the creativity part of crafting his songs. He was a selfless songwriter in that he allowed a lot of room for contribution in his original songs and I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to do so much with them.

All of this just makes me feel for Alex and Geddy as they had such a long career with Neil as well as being best friends. I think what comforts me when it comes to RUSH is that they did their career right in that they put out lots of great music and recorded a ton of live shows and such. We are all very fortunate to have so much footage to watch and remember what a great band and unit they were.

I have been a VH since the early 80's and as much as I love those guys (all eras), they have wasted so much time. Not many shows were professionally filmed and from 1998 until now there is only three albums. It's kind of sad to me but I'm glad that there is so much RUSH available.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it's been sorta tough but not just Peart there's been a bunch but I guess it's part of getting older. We probably have few "Heroes" that are younger than us so we are bound to lose them, if we're lucky before we go.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
I’m just starting to get over it and I wasn’t even a huge fan. It just feels like a part of my youth is dead. It seemed every drummer friend in high worshipped him. It was hard to have not some of him back then.
it’s like losing someone we really admired for their integrity and being a gentleman

I never read anything who ever had a bad thing to say about him

so rare in a celebrity
Particularly one who never wanted the limelight

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like Rush and of course recognize that Peart was one of the greatest drummers ever, but he's nowhere near my list of influences. I exchanged a couple texts with my dad when the news came in, and then my wife and I talked about it a little, but beyond that I've not given it a lot of thought.

That said, yesterday it began trending online that Nick Mason had died. When I read that my stomach dropped. I was completely devastated. All I could think about was how I'd never had an opportunity to see him live and that I'd still not read his autobiography. As big of a fan of Pink Floyd as I am and as much of an influence Mason has had on me, it still felt like I'd squandered what time I had to appreciate him in this life.

It turned out there was an English journalist of the same name who died at the end of December and for some reason was trending. I know what I felt in those brief few minutes is what the rest of you have been feeling for the past ten days, and I hate that for y'all. And for others, it's ten times what I felt, and could only be matched by the day Ringo passes, or if I'd been around to learn of Bonham's death. I'm sorry so many of y'all have lost a hero.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ll start by saying I was never a fan of Rush, and although I had respect for his drumming I never got the drum god thing. But, after reading so much about him this past week I have a newfound interest and new level of respect for him!
He was an awesome human being!
My thoughts exactly. Not a fan at all, but have great respect for all three Rush members. They seem to have kept it all in perspective.

GeeDeeEmm

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am... I knew him, not well, but I knew him. I wasn't a fan from the standpoint of him being an influence on my playing, but I had tremendous respect for him and his playing. And as I later learned, his commitment and dedication to the instrument.

When Neil left Zildjian in 2003, I took it hard because we had developed a nice rapport during the 10 or so years before that. We had included him in an ad campaign the year before (2002) and in the course of working out the details, our relationship had flourished. I was bummed to see him go to a competitor, but more bummed to lose the connection we had. He felt like a friend.

I saw him a few times over the years at various events and he always made a point to say hello and engage me. He certainly didn't have to do that, but in a couple of those situations we were there to pay our respects to a mutual friend and I know the humanity was not lost on him. He was a kind soul. It's the only way I can describe him. The last time we spoke was at Freddy Gruber's Memorial. Neil was the MC and it really warmed my heart that he made an effort to come over and say hello and thank me for being there.

The last time I emailed him was the summer of 2018. I was writing an article on my time working at Simmons Drums and although I didn't know Neil then, I thought he'd offer some great insights on Simmons. I was surprised and disappointed that my email went unanswered. I think I know why now.

For the past week it's really bothered me that I never told him how important his drumming was, though he probably wouldn't have taken it well. He was truly a very humble man.

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Reaction score
My high school hero, as he was to so many. Certainly a big loss to the music and literary communities. This recent article was a good one, and wraps up with a sentiment that Neil consistently suggested throughout all his career: “There’s more to life than Rush.” He will be missed by so many, but the biggest loss is certainly to his family and bandmates. All we can do as fans is to uphold the level of excellence in all that we do, just as he did:

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm still a little choked up about it. Seems a little silly as I didnt even know the man. I guess take comfort that others are going through the same. We truly lost a giant.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I don't know if I will ever be able to listen to The Garden without crying. I can't hear those lyrics and not hear them about him now. I am just sick that he didn't get the time to spend with his daughter that he wanted and deserved. I am sick for her losing her dad so young.
Dreamline still gets to me too.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am... I knew him, not well, but I knew him. I wasn't a fan from the standpoint of him being an influence on my playing, but I had tremendous respect for him and his playing. And as I later learned, his commitment and dedication to the instrument.

When Neil left Zildjian in 2003, I took it hard because we had developed a nice rapport during the 10 or so years before that. We had included him in an ad campaign the year before (2002) and in the course of working out the details, our relationship had flourished. I was bummed to see him go to a competitor, but more bummed to lose the connection we had. He felt like a friend.

I saw him a few times over the years at various events and he always made a point to say hello and engage me. He certainly didn't have to do that, but in a couple of those situations we were there to pay our respects to a mutual friend and I know the humanity was not lost on him. He was a kind soul. It's the only way I can describe him. The last time we spoke was at Freddy Gruber's Memorial. Neil was the MC and it really warmed my heart that he made an effort to come over and say hello and thank me for being there.

The last time I emailed him was the summer of 2018. I was writing an article on my time working at Simmons Drums and although I didn't know Neil then, I thought he'd offer some great insights on Simmons. I was surprised and disappointed that my email went unanswered. I think I know why now.

For the past week it's really bothered me that I never told him how important his drumming was, though he probably wouldn't have taken it well. He was truly a very humble man.
A very nice tribute; and from a unique perspective. Thank you.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neil's passing has really hit me differently than most. I just feel that he deserved a much better ending to his life thank what he ultimately went through. The good news is that he did find love again and had another daughter and was able to spend a lot of time with them. His wife, Carrie, and daughter Olivia now have to live on without him. It's just so upsetting...

Latest posts