Peavey radial pro

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 1000 series kit, and I don't get the "heavy' comments. The bass drums and bigger toms were proportionally lighter than the small toms because of the bigger resonant shell. Maybe a 10 would seem heavy, but not a 22?
I also had a kit with the composite bridges. I liked them better, because the exposed bridge wasn't prone to nicking. I didn't notice a sonic difference.

The key factors are:
The resonant shell is not compressed between the heads, and I found that enhanced the tuning range
There is no hardware bolted to the resonant shell (or anywhere else) This lets the shell be super thin (since it isn't structural) and the tone is very pure and resonant (and I get that not everyone likes "resonance" but it is easy to eliminate, but impossible to create if it isn't there.)
Ponder a nice acoustic guitars with a pound or two of metal screwed on the top.....

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of 501s for sale in the NY metro area if anyone is interested.

Dan

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to play both the RPS-1 and the RP-1000 version of the Peavey kits, along with the 750 and 500 versions. I had two impressions of them that have lasted to this day:

1. The 1000 series is, without any qualifications whatsoever, the best-sounding drums ever made - bar none. As another poster remarked, " If we were all blind, these are the drums we would play." Which brings me to the second impression:

2. The Radial Pro drums were among the ugliest drums ever made. But there are a few exceptions to this generalization. I remember in particular one RP-1000 kit that was painted in a deep, glossy red lacquer that looked really nice. The red color minimized the bulk. The same was somewhat true of the clear maple kits. And though the wraps that Peavey offered were really, really bland, I've often wondered how a kit in White Marine Pearl, or glitter red, or glassy sand would look.

GeeDeeEmm

drumtek

Reaction score
I had a set of the 1000's and loved them.
I've been keeping my eye out for another set.
Worth playing if you get a chance

Latest posts