header.nohb.html

Pedal succession

fitzsy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing the Tama Camco pedal since 1988. I am for the first time exploring a new pedal, in part because the Tama doesn’t fit certain hoops such as thicker Yamaha hoops. I play jazz, organ trio, and occasional backbeat gigs. I don’t need the pedal to exaggerate the power of my stroke, and for jazz that would be counterproductive. So looking for evolution from my current pedal and not revolution. Suggestions welcome!

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Sonor's JoJo Mayer Perfect Balance fits the bill. Strap drive, regular concentric cam. Get the "standard," not the collapsing one (wonderful idea, but it tends to collapse when you don't want it to). I honestly can't imagine a better feeling pedal. Double isn't available, but I'm guessing that's not a deal breaker for you.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ordered a new Tama Speed Cobra last week. I've been playing a DW 9000 for many years, and I'm looking for something more responsive, lighter feeling. Hopefully this fits the bill. Read a lot of positive reviews, so we'll see.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another vote for the Sonor Perfect Balance pedal . I have both the original and standard models and I no longer have any interest in other pedals . Russ ware wonderful for feathering and dropping bombs . They feel like they are part of your foot . Smooth and quick .

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the Yamaha strap drive pedals. Mine are 8110, but they have changed since that.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dw6000 chain drive would probably be an easy transition. They are both based on the same basic Camco design

stick2it

Reaction score
I'm with CC Cirillo: the Tama Classic. Amazing pedal. Amazing price. I have one in the home studio and one in my bag for gigs. Maybe I'm missing something, but this is all the pedal I need to do anything. (Granted, I don't play double-base metal.)
Tama Classic_HP50.png

10 Lug

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Classic HP50, I have three of these, great pedal. Reasonable price.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama Classic HP50, I have three of these, great pedal. Reasonable price.
Do yours squeak ? I bought one when they first came out and forts gug it started squeaking (loudly) and no matter what I tried it just kept squeaking . It got to the point that I sold it and bought a second Sonor Perfect Balance pedal to replace it .

Wideglyd

Reaction score
I'm with CC Cirillo: the Tama Classic. Amazing pedal. Amazing price. I have one in the home studio and one in my bag for gigs. Maybe I'm missing something, but this is all the pedal I need to do anything. (Granted, I don't play double-base metal.) View attachment 590383
Agreed! I have a few of these and they have never let me down. Exceptionally smooth pedal at a mind blowing price.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Tama Classic. Like a good vintage pedal, it just kinda disappears. My favorite vintage pedal is the Floating Action, and the Tama has a similarly neutral feel. (The other Classic hardware is good too)

Thebstar

Reaction score
The new DW5000 series will feel like the Gretsch/Camco pedal but fit new hoops.