Pedals and hi-hat stands

CigarScott

Reaction score
Is it me or does it seem that like 90% of drummers especially pro ones are using either DW, Pearl or Tama pedals and hi-hat stands, regardless of what kind of drums they're playing. I see a lot of players who endorse Sonor, Mapex, Ludwig, even Yamaha, and others that make their own pedals but no one seems want to want touch them with a 10' pole. Gibraltar also makes pedals but outside of Ricky Lawson (RIP), I've never seen anyone use them.

I started with the crappy Pearl pedal that came with my early 90's Export kid, then had a second kick for a while and got a stupid deal on a Gibraltar pedal, which I didn't really care for. Then I got a DW Turbo double pedal and that didn't feel right to me. I finally traded it in for Pearl Demon Drives which I love and was able to make into two single pedals once I got my new kit.

For example, Danny Carey endorses Sonor and plays all Pearl pedals, Aquiles Priester plays Mapex with Gibraltar Hardware but uses DW pedals. Mike Portnoy famously said that Mapex pedals weren't up to par so he used DW while playing Mapex.

Just curious on everyone's theories...

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been that way since the beginning of time. First the earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, then DW started making hardware and drummers that endorsed other brands endorsed it. It's right there in the history books.

But seriously, this has been happening for a long time. Gibraltar was the first company to challenge DW in the hardware market 30 years ago, and Pearl, Tama, and even Mapex got in the game by signing artists that don't endorse their drums 20 or so years ago.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Is it me or does it seem that like 90% of drummers especially pro ones are using either DW, Pearl or Tama pedals and hi-hat stands, regardless of what kind of drums they're playing. I see a lot of players who endorse Sonor, Mapex, Ludwig, even Yamaha, and others that make their own pedals but no one seems want to want touch them with a 10' pole. Gibraltar also makes pedals but outside of Ricky Lawson (RIP), I've never seen anyone use them.

I started with the crappy Pearl pedal that came with my early 90's Export kid, then had a second kick for a while and got a stupid deal on a Gibraltar pedal, which I didn't really care for. Then I got a DW Turbo double pedal and that didn't feel right to me. I finally traded it in for Pearl Demon Drives which I love and was able to make into two single pedals once I got my new kit.

For example, Danny Carey endorses Sonor and plays all Pearl pedals, Aquiles Priester plays Mapex with Gibraltar Hardware but uses DW pedals. Mike Portnoy famously said that Mapex pedals weren't up to par so he used DW while playing Mapex.

Just curious on everyone's theories...
Interesting observation. I actually use all three brands. In fact they are the only brands that I use. There is nothing particularly special about them since I am a heel down, light player and just about any pedals will work. The reason why I use those brands are when I started playing drums again after a 37 year break I depended on a sales rep at Sam Ash to advise me, and he apparently thought that either Pearl was the best or he was getting spiffed for every Pearl product that he sold. I fell in love with the DW Flush Base hardware when I was gifted one of their Buddy Rich Tribute kits. I recently moved to Tama's classic, flat base stands and their pedal, which is my new favorite. Oh, I do have another brand, come to think of it: a set of Gibraltar Flat Base hardware (but not their bass drum pedal.) Back to use: I could probably make do with any pedals on the market to be honest. I love my current Tama pedals, but would have no problems switching back to DW. The Pearl pedals are perfect for my studio, but are too damn heavy to take to a gig. It's all good.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve certainly noticed the Tama/DW proliferation.

Is that why I’ve been using their HH and BD pedals for the last 15 years?

Aw, dang, I’ve been manipulated!

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play tama toms , bass , cymbal stands , snare stand ,hihat stand, tom stand , ludwig snare ,pearl tom mounts on big toms , pearl p120p pedals. I play what my feet like not what the brand is. I use mid 80's tama hihat stands with the spring on the outside that allows the height of the foot board to be adjusted without changing the spring pressure.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After the Speed King, which came with my first kit, I played Tama, DW and currently Pearl pedals. They are the big 3 in the pedal world and they make outstanding pedals.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been that way since the beginning of time. First the earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, then DW started making hardware and drummers that endorsed other brands endorsed it. It's right there in the history books.

But seriously, this has been happening for a long time. Gibraltar was the first company to challenge DW in the hardware market 30 years ago, and Pearl, Tama, and even Mapex got in the game by signing artists that don't endorse their drums 20 or so years ago.
I think you skipped a step. Shouldn't it read more like....

"First the earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, then WAUBERG & AUGE and CAMCO started making hardware..."

Just about every piece of hardware we use now was pioneered by those companies....of course, after the giant meteor hit the earth and killed everything, THEN the drum companies themselves (and Gibraltar) rose from the ashes and took up the mantle of hardware manufacturing. ( ;) )

Elvis

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you skipped a step. Shouldn't it read more like....

"First the earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, then WAUBERG & AUGE and CAMCO started making hardware..."

Just about every piece of hardware we use now was pioneered by those companies....of course, after the giant meteor hit the earth and killed everything, THEN the drum companies themselves (and Gibraltar) rose from the ashes and took up the mantle of hardware manufacturing. ( ;) )

Elvis
Perfectly stated @Elvis . Walberg & Auge were/are a key component in drum hardware history. I assumed they made Camco hardware too...?

M

Mongoose

A lot of players use stuff on stage because they are paid to. Pretty sure even though Dimebag was sponsored by Randall amps he's used Marshall in studio.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of players use stuff on stage because they are paid to. Pretty sure even though Dimebag was sponsored by Randall amps he's used Marshall in studio.
I'm saying a hard "no" to anyone being "paid" to use hardware on stage. The money trees that people think grow in the back of drum and cymbal factories haven't bloomed in a long time, or ever, for that matter. Take a look around.

feelyat

Reaction score
After the Speed King, which came with my first kit, I played Tama, DW and currently Pearl pedals. They are the big 3 in the pedal world and they make outstanding pedals.
With a nod to my old speed king, which I have fond memories of, I recently purchased a closeout Ludwig Atlas Pro pedal which has been great. The design elements that echo the classic Speed King form are delightful, while bringing the level of quality and performance up to the standards set by the likes of Tama, DW and Pearl.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfectly stated @Elvis . Walberg & Auge were/are a key component in drum hardware history. I assumed they made Camco hardware too...?
Camco was a hardware manufacturer first, then made drums later on....and thanks for correcting me on the spelling of WALBERG. I was racking my brain last night, just trying to remember their name (for some reason, I wanted to write "Humes & Berg", but I knew that wasn't right).

Elvis

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can even buy a bad bass drum pedal or hi-hat stand these days (unless it's a super cheap toy set for kids), no matter the brand.
I used DW bass drum pedals for the longest time, from 1980 until the mid 90s. Yamaha pedals since then.