header.nohb.html

Pedals-strap, chain, direct drive

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your preference and why? I believe pedals are very personal and subjective and I'm still searching for "mine".

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use DW 5000 & 9000 chain drives, and a DW machined direct drive. I like the direct drive a little better.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the even pull from a round cam, so it‘s chain or strap for me rather than a connecting rod. Lately I’ve been using an 80s Perl chain drive again, just put it in the hardware case, no fancy case of its own.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite pedal of all time is the Tama Speed Cobra, and it's a chain drive, but before the SC won my heart, I was playing Pearl Eliminator strap drive pedals.

I prefer the feel of a strap drive, perhaps because I started with a Ludwig Speed Master strap drive, which I still have. I always preferred it to the Speed Kings that came with my later kits. Playing strap drive pedals in the 70s meant regularly replacing broken straps, but modern straps are pretty serious.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve acquired pedals with each setup and I don’t have a clear favorite either. I’ve played chain and direct drive pedals I love and ones I couldn’t get to feel right. I haven’t played a bad strap pedal yet, but I’m sure they’re out there. For heavy bashing I would lean towards chain, but for anything else a nicely set up pedal of any kind is good

Last edited:

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use strap (Sonor Perfect Balance ) and direct drive (Axis) pedals . I really dislike chain pedals , I find the straps to be much smoother and more fluid feeling and they are my favourite .
I also like the adjustable feel of the Axis pedals as well . The longboard really suits me .

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not a power player. I have a 70's Swivomatic two-piece foot board that I recently restored with the original needle bearings. It now feels effortless. I have a simple Yamaha single chain drive that seems to give me a bit more punch, but a number of years ago a acquired and cleaned up a '60's Camco leather strap drive that has a more natural feel to it, That is the one I drift to when playing gigs.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer strap and direct drive. I learned to play on a Speed King and an old Pearl direct drive pedal, so I just got used to that feel. I don't mind a chain drive as long as it's a channel (like Tama) and not a sprocket (like DW). I don't like the crunchy feel of a DW or Camco pedal.

mjohnson12

Reaction score
Chain since I've only played chain. I am interesting in trying other drive types but it's difficult to spend money on something I already have just to see if I like it better.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Chain since I've only played chain. I am interesting in trying other drive types but it's difficult to spend money on something I already have just to see if I like it better.
Depending on the type of pedal you have, you can usually just swap out the cam rather than buying a new pedal.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've only used chain and strap, my pedals are all currently chain.

I want to say I could tell the difference using a strap drive but I'm pretty sure that's my head messing with me.

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the input!

Through the years I believe I have owned all three types but I also wind up not playing for years at a time due to life happening so I have never developed a favorite drive type, board length or brand. Although it will be expensive to do, my ultimate goal is to have a single model that offers all three drive types so I can do an honest apples to apples comparison. Probably foolish, but I want to know if I feel a difference or find that one feels more natural to me than the other two. Again, I do not think there is a single "this is the best pedal ever" because we all have different preferences. I also love learning from others' experiences.

If you care, I am currently playing the Tama 310 Speed Cobra, which I bought first, and then a Yamaha FP9D direct drive I got a good deal on. I realize these two are worlds apart. At this point, I think I will settle on the FP9 series or the more in same class Tama 910 Speed Cobra (rather than the 310).

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although it will be expensive to do, my ultimate goal is to have a single model that offers all three drive types so I can do an honest apples to apples comparison.

The Pearl Demon Drive would probably be the best way to go. It comes in chain and direct drive, and the cam just slides off the end without having to disassemble the entire axle. It would be an easy switch. Plus the Demon Drive has the adjustable foot board that switches between regular and extended.

For the strap drive part of it, the Eliminator 2050 comes in strap drive with different interchangeable cams so you can adjust the feel. I would guess that the pedals all use the same size hex rod axle, so you could probably use the strap cam from that pedal on the Demon Drive.

Any Pearl dealer would be able to get all the cams for you as replacement parts.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a DW5000 Single Chain from the late 90's with plate and updated bearings and newer hinge. Fast with a light feel vs my 5000 pedal with double chain.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
Sonor Perfect Balance with the strap, it’s the best pedal I’ve ever used. The fact it has a perfectly round cam is a logical thing for me, why would you want an offset cam? It’s like having an asymmetrical drill bit to my mind. That’s not your question though. I’ve used Speedkings/Ghost/Camco/Swivomatic/Premier 252/DW5000/9000/6000 and now I’m on Sonor now. For me there’s something very intuitive about a strap on a round cam.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straps for speed
Chains for power
Direct is no dice for me.

Last edited: