People still selling (and buying) gear?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
With no gigs, no rehearsals, no motivation to play really, I'm thinking of selling off some excess gear. I'm not super excited to add trips to the Fedex store though. And wonder if people are buying much these days and if the market is pretty soft? I've been really checked-out of the drum world and DFO since this all went down so thought I'd ask...

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People are still buying the quality stuff and the cheap stuff - the mid price quality stuff seems to be getting ignored .

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve picked up nine cymbals in the past couple of weeks.
I’ve sold a handful.
Stuff is coming and going here at a pretty good clip.
I’m recording quite a bit and enjoying the time.
If you are in a slump (it sounds like you might be), maybe a cool cymbal or snare will inspire you. Heck, you never know.
Good luck!

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My little community of drum buddies has been pretty aggressive in buying, selling and especially trading. I’ve personally traded 2 high end snares and 2 drum sets in return for 2 different drum sets. Also traded a full set of cymbals for a different set
of cymbals. This all happened in April and May. Have a little recording rig on the way so I can work remotely.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I've been buying more gear than usual during the lockdown. Maybe it's a way of feeling like I'm "advancing" my journey in absence of actual musical interaction? Or maybe I'm just *thinking* about playing more, which leads me to consider new sounds, which makes me want new gear?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I purchased a few cymbals and a drum kit (the latter on a whim). I'm considering selling my Ludwig 6.5x14 hammered bronze Supra since it isn't getting ANY use, as well as a 1961 Slingerland kit that has been living in cases for the past few years. I already have two 26" crash/rides for sale, but delivering those would be contingent on my next trip from Central Florida to South Carolina. Same for the Slingerland kit and snare drum. In no mood to ship, but have no problems delivering 300 or so miles away. If it weren't for the pandemic I'd extend my range as far as West Virginia. As for more gear, I'd probably pull the trigger on some frivolous purchases if I get off my butt and sell the aforementioned items (and they actually sell, of course.)

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Decent kits priced right appear to be moving well in my area. Sold several "extra" kits I no longer used and a small pile of vintage Zildjians. Seems very active at the moment. At least lots of inquiries. I think between stimulus checks and having been couped up for a couple of months drummers are getting antsy.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All of my transactions have been online or socially distanced.

I bought a 26" Ludwig Stainless steel marching bass and then picked up 14" and 16" concert toms to go with it a few weeks ago. I also bought a 60's Sonor Teardrop kit a couple of weeks ago.

I sold a Tama Imperialstar kit a few weeks ago.

I sold a cheap kit this afternoon that I practically gave away. I found out from the guy's kid who picked them up that the drums were for the dad, not the kid as the dad had told me. Which would have been fine as I don't care who plays them, but the dad gave me a now suspect sob story that he had been laid off and was using some of his unemployment check, etc. so the kid would have something to learn on. He had the kid pick them and was on the cell phone and asked me to take another $20 off and throw in a drum stool. At that point, the kid had already told me they were for the dad, so I had been lied to and had already taken $100 off a kit that I was only asking $200 kit with some extra gear and upgraded pedal, stands, and cymbal. I know times are tough, and I have gladly given really nice gear to young drummers in the past that were wanting to learn or upgrade their gear, but I felt lied to and I was not happy about that. Be careful out there.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I just picked up a Rogers XP8 Kit in very good shape plus new Ahead bags for $450. So. hell yeah, I bought’em. It freed up my Pearl Wood fiberglass kit from the studio. Getting ready for a gig on Monday with my Petty band and will use the Pearls. Why not? Ferrone used to use them with Petty.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve kinda gone crazy with buying this past month(s). I think I’m covered, and don’t really have any more gear needs. If I get anything more at this point, I need to sell stuff.
THE LIST(in order of purchase/trade):

14x6.5 Ludwig Bronze Black Beauty
70’s player’s Downbeat in black oyster
Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 22”
14x8 Ludwig Coliseum
13x 4.5 Noble & Cooley Horizon (six lugs!)
13x 5.75 Noble & Cooley SP maple
Istanbul Agop Trash Hit 20”

And in the near future:

A 16” floor tom for the Downbeat
14x6.5 George Way Rosewood

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I’ve got some stuff listed here at what I thought were good prices but it hasn’t moved. I’m really trying to avoid in person transactions right now.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Prices sure don't seem to be going down, if that's an indication of how much buying is happening.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a 67 Gretsch Dixieland snare in March, a Ludwig Classic Maple snare in March, a Gretsch Max Roach snare in May, and ordered two more Gretsch USA Custom snares in May that I may see by the end of the year.

That used up my fun money for now.

When I get back to work at my part time job I need to order more cases.

freeflydawn

Reaction score
Yes- just traded a kit on Friday, in person, for a guitar. Seems to be a lot of gear moving around right now with people being stuck home.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Six weeks ago I wasn't even sure I'd have a job at this point..We've come out of it ok, so far, with personal assets still in tact..I thought I might never buy another piece of gear..now, I am thinking differently..you only live once..so, if something comes along I "just have to have" I might just go for it...

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just listed the first of a few items that I am selling off. My reason is I will be 72 this year and I have gear that I've had sitting around in bags for years. Time to cast them off.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
People are definitely buying! I listed my old kit Saturday night on Craigslist and it was sold Sunday morning. It's gone already!

c.wulf

Reaction score
I’ve kinda gone crazy with buying this past month(s). I think I’m covered, and don’t really have any more gear needs. If I get anything more at this point, I need to sell stuff.
THE LIST(in order of purchase/trade):

14x6.5 Ludwig Bronze Black Beauty
70’s player’s Downbeat in black oyster
Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 22”
14x8 Ludwig Coliseum
13x 4.5 Noble & Cooley Horizon (six lugs!)
13x 5.75 Noble & Cooley SP maple
Istanbul Agop Trash Hit 20”

And in the near future:

A 16” floor tom for the Downbeat
14x6.5 George Way Rosewood
Got to see the bronze BB, man!

Latest posts